Whos on the trading block?

The Brew Man

I just don't get this whole train of thought as to trading what good players the Reds DO have!

How about trying to bring in, or bring up some other good players to strengthen the team. Trading these players will only weaken it, and it's freakin' weak enough, don't you think? :blink:

I just don't get this whole train of thought as to trading what good players the Reds DO have!

How about trying to bring in, or bring up some other good players to strengthen the team. Trading these players will only weaken it, and it's freakin' weak enough, don't you think? :blink:

I agree completly Billy. And the sad truth is, even if we wanted to trade, we dont have a whole lot to offer :(

How about trying to bring in, or bring up some other good players to strengthen the team. Trading these players will only weaken it, and it's freakin' weak enough, don't you think?  :blink:

I agree completly Billy. And the sad truth is, even if we wanted to trade, we dont have a whole lot to offer :(

While its true that we dont have much to offer, there is a reason that teams deal players for prospect every year at this time. And no offense Billy, but its been happening forever. The logic behind it is to "sell high". Wilson for example, his stock has never been higher than it is right now. Who knows, maybe next year he reverts to 8-8 with a 5 plus era form. There are teams that are willing to deal that stud 1b prospect that may be the next Thome for 1/2 to 2 good years from a mediocre starting pitcher if it helps them win some hardware.

How about trying to bring in, or bring up some other good players to strengthen the team. Trading these players will only weaken it, and it's freakin' weak enough, don't you think?  :blink:

While its true that we dont have much to offer, there is a reason that teams deal players for prospect every year at this time. And no offense Billy, but its been happening forever. The logic behind it is to "sell high". Wilson for example, his stock has never been higher than it is right now. Who knows, maybe next year he reverts to 8-8 with a 5 plus era form. There are teams that are willing to deal that stud 1b prospect that may be the next Thome for 1/2 to 2 good years from a mediocre starting pitcher if it helps them win some hardware.

I dunno Brew-man. It seems the Reds have been operating under that plan for more than a few years now, and the payoff has yet to be seen.

Maybe now is time for a different approach, although a new owner wouldn't hurt either. One who isn't afraid to spend a few bucks to bring quality players to Cincy.

Like I've said, failure starts at the top.

I dunno Brew-man. It seems the Reds have been operating under that plan for more than a few years now, and the payoff has yet to be seen.

Maybe now is time for a different approach, although a new owner wouldn't hurt either. One who isn't afraid to spend a few bucks to bring quality players to Cincy.

Like I've said, failure starts at the top.

Well, I think most teams follow this pattern, but are also not afraid to sign big names to help speed the process along. Aside from Griffey, what major players have we signed in the past 5 years? We've had some successes (Dunn being the most notable) by using this sytem, but we haven't brought other top notch players in to compliment the young developing talent.

Thanks, Carl :rolleyes:

I dont think anyone is untouchable at this point. Wilson and Lidle on the last year of their contract are no brainers assuming anyone would want Lidle at this point. Griffey and Kearns coming off injury are probably not too desirable by a contender. Im sure Dunn and even Willy Mo would draw interest from a power perspective. Take Graves please along with his 6 mil salary. Im not advocating giving away nothing. Any deal would have to benefit us more than what we loose. I still say we have a small chance to turn things around with Kearns and Griffey back in the lineup but very small. Lets not shoot ourselves in the foot here. We hardly have any talent on the bench so I see no spare parts besides maybe Willy Mo/Kearns. Only way we get better is opening up the purse strings and I dont see that happening. Gotta love the effort these guys put forth and Miley playing the hand he's dealt. In the end, money buys wins. Just look at the contenders.

Gotta love the effort these guys put forth and Miley playing the hand he's dealt.  In the end, money buys wins.  Just look at the contenders.

I DO love what they've tried to do, and hats off to Miley for taking the Reds as far as he did, but the cards he's been dealt have come up pitifully short.

Gotta love the effort these guys put forth and Miley playing the hand he's dealt.  In the end, money buys wins.  Just look at the contenders.

I DO love what they've tried to do, and hats off to Miley for taking the Reds as far as he did, but the cards he's been dealt have come up pitifully short.

And the sad thing is, it could cost him his job.....

Nobody will get traded. If money isn't a cause for no trades, then it's lack of production. The only one that I can see getting traded is Wilson, but I really believe the Reds don't want to deal him and will re-sign after this season.

As for the farm system, I have to blame Bowman -- the former GM. He was so homer happy that the talent pitching-wise has never been good because he never set out to develop a quality pitching staff; hence our continued problems with quality pitchers on this team.