Giambi being tested for potentially fatal illness.

Kirkendall

NEW YORK (AFP) - New York Yankees first baseman Jason Giambi is being tested for a potentially fatal condition caused by intestinal parasites and could miss the remainder of the Major League Baseball season.

The newspaper reported that Giambi, who has not played since Friday's 8-7 victory over the Boston Red Sox, will return here on Tuesday for more tests.

Giambi's trainer, Bob Alejo, told the newspaper that Giambi is being tested for entamoeba histolytica, which can be transmitted through water and food and get embedded in the intentistal lining, making it difficult to detect.

"He told me, 'I don't care about hitting .220. I just want to feel better,'", Alejo told Newsday newspaper. "He's exhausted, and it's not getting any better."

Giambi, 34, has been tested for cancer and the HIV virus (news - web sites) in the last week. Both those tests came back negative.

Giambi has played in only 70 games this season, batting .221 with 11 home runs and 36 runs batted in. He has gone hitless in his last 19 at-bats.

He was among 10 players who testified before a BALCO grand jury hearing regarding links to the labs that prosecutors claim produced a previously undetectable steroid.

He was among 10 players who testified before a BALCO grand jury hearing regarding links to the labs that prosecutors claim produced a previously undetectable steroid.

It's entirely possible that we seeing a previously unforseen side effect of this substance!

Either way I hope it's not serious.