Superbowl in Cincinnati ???

Scottishbengal

Does anyone know the NFL's criteria for selecting venues to host the Superbowl ?

PBS was world famous as the best sporting stadium at the time of it's state of the art construction, yet it seems to have been ignored when it comes to hosting The Big Game. Houston (69,500 capacity), Jacksonville (80,000), and Detroit (65,000) are all lined up for the next 3 superbowls. With the exception of Jax the capacities are similar to the 65,500 of PBS so if you can throw any light on why Cincy is being spurned it would be appreciated.

Thanks for your reply, I take on board your point but would argue that the play-off games at hosted at whatever stadium (hopefully Cincinnati). If these matches, which are what amounts to the quarter-finals and the semi-finals, can be held in whatever city under the prevailing weather conditions, then surely the same should go for the final itself? For want of sounding a bit chauvanistic "it's a mans game" after all. Has the Superbowl ever been played in an open, northern state, stadium ?

Thanks for your reply, I take on board your point but would argue that the play-off games at hosted at whatever stadium (hopefully Cincinnati). If these matches, which are what amounts to the quarter-finals and the semi-finals, can be held in whatever city under the prevailing weather conditions, then surely the same should go for the final itself? For want of sounding a bit chauvanistic "it's a mans game" after all. Has the Superbowl ever been played in an open, northern state, stadium ?

I hear ya, but the playoff games are on the teams home field that earned that during the regular season. And while I would love to see the big game in a cold weather climate, I think the league prefers the neutrality of what they already have. No home field advantage for either team and guaranteed weather. B)

I think the last cold winter site that got a Super Bowl was Minnesota. The reason I remember is that there was a blizzard and people had a hard time getting around. Didn't affect the game of course, but it sure put a damper on all the accompanying tourist spending. People pretty much came in went to the game and went home. The NFL likes to make it a week long event as does the hosting city, and blizzards just aren't conducive to that atmosphere.

They play the game in warm weather so all of the corporate ticket holders can sit and watch the game in comfort. Let's face it, going to the Super Bowl in person isn't for the teams fans, it's for big wig corporate types, and contest winners. I mean my Mom has been to a Super Bowl for pities sake and she don't know anything about football. Why was she there? Big wig corprates pay big bucks to give tickets to people. Like the NFL doesn't make enough money as it is, they pimp the game to people that don't have a clue about the game, and the true fans have to watch from home. Not that I mind a good super Bowl party, but come on now.

Things that influence the Super Bowl host site are the weather, the ability of the city to cope with all the extra people, other things to do and the actual stadium.

cheers