Big Willie sounds off

jjakq27

http://cincinnati.co...on-the-bengals/

From Joe Reedy

In case you weren't following your Twitter feed earlier tonight, Willie Anderson had some interesting comments about the state of the Bengals past, present and possibly future...

"I'm watching this ESPN show called Audibles. Steve Young says Bengals haven't had a strong locker room since Munoz. Man that (ticks) me off! Not at Steve but at people who wouldn't let the leaders on a lot of Bengals teams lead!

"If you're in power Coaches, owners GMs etc you have to have a structure where your players that care can lead team! A lot of time leaders on those teams were told to stand down and down get on certain players because it would mess up Chemistry!

And in reality they only allowed those teams to be DESTROYED!

That's why you have what you have! Year in and Year out! No one will publicly say anything. Give fans same ole lies! I'm mad because that hurt a lot of our careers. The perception that all players there linked and grouped together!

I feel sorry for fans because you all believe anything you are told! Next year you all will really think it's gonna be better!

I don't blame any players. Players do what you are allowed to do. I just really wish I came up in a Winning Culture. Wish the young guys there now didn't have to experience this stuff!

Because it only gets worse! When will we wake up people! Some of you all really think getting a new coach, draft pick will help! Smdh. Yes Willie went off! I look at the legacy we left and its crazy! Thank God I got to experience 2008!

Guys on this team play hard! I saw it myself! I played with these guys. These players wanna win and be successful. In one sense I can respect fans for pulling for players.

All this because I heard something on ESPN that we've never had leaders! Sorry you all! I'll get phone calls now!

One last Bengals Comment! Lol There is Good News Bengals Fans. I'm still gon get hammered for this. Or Banned but here it is. When Troy and Katie Blackburn take over that team will change for better! Mr Brown loves that team and we owe him a lot!

But we know what's up. I've seen Mr. Brown take guys off the street and give second an 3rd chances. Odell (Thurman), Chris Henry. He gave me several deals. So I can't talk too bad about the guy and I won't. I'm frustrated like I'm sure he is with our past!

http://cincinnati.co...ve-on-comments/

Willie's follow-up comments with Reedy:

Following Willie Anderson's comments on Twitter about the Bengals, I called Anderson to get more perspective on his remarks. The first thing he wanted to get out there was that he is not bashing the organization. His frustration has to do with the lack of a system in place.

"You have to have players in the right system and philosophy. I could never tell the Bengals how to run a business but from a player's perspective it's confusing," Anderson said. "I know when former players speak out it always sounds like we're bashing. I'm not trying to bash. If you ever ask me for a suggestion here is what it is.

"I know how hard those guys work. They're attentive and ask questions, it has to be something else. Whatever you have there, you need to give (the players) a chance to have a system and let it work for a couple years." Anderson's comments hold a lot of cachet and express a lot of what people are feeling right now — if there is a system in place, no one knows what it is and whatever it is, it changes frequently. For example, a team built to run the ball morphed into an offense that has returned to the pass happy ways of five years ago.

But by building a system for the long haul, you are dictating what players you want to bring in that are the best fit. If you are changing once every couple years, that creates a mismatch of different players and different styles that end up being square pegs in round holes.

Anderson also wanted to express that he thinks Mike Brown is receptive to player's opinions. Anderson pointed out that in 2000 he went up to Mike Brown's office with Takeo Spikes to keep Dick LeBeau as head coach. It was also Anderson who came out when LeBeau's contract was not retained and called for the hiring of an African-American head coach, which happened with Marvin Lewis taking the job.

The biggest problem according to Anderson is that management is not seen in the locker room.

"I know (Mike Brown) will listen to guys but they don't know there's an open door," Anderson said. "I used to always want them to come down and understand the locker room. All personalities might not fit in your locker room. Ask questions with the guys.

"He's an easy going guy, you can talk to him. That perception is not easily given there. He would love for guys to talk to him but I don't know if guys know that."

When Anderson was with Baltimore in 2008 he saw Ozzie Newsome in the locker room almost every day trying to get advice and input from the players, which is something that is not seen here.

"Having a system in place and knowing the pulse is a huge thing," Anderson said. "I know Katie (Blackburn), Troy (Blackburn) and Mike Brown want to win. There needs to be a gap bridged between the players and everyone else."

Whether or not a system is put into place during this upcoming offseason will be the biggest question of all.

http://cincinnati.co...ve-on-comments/

Willie's follow-up comments with Reedy:

Following Willie Anderson's comments on Twitter about the Bengals, I called Anderson to get more perspective on his remarks. The first thing he wanted to get out there was that he is not bashing the organization. His frustration has to do with the lack of a system in place.

"You have to have players in the right system and philosophy. I could never tell the Bengals how to run a business but from a player's perspective it's confusing," Anderson said. "I know when former players speak out it always sounds like we're bashing. I'm not trying to bash. If you ever ask me for a suggestion here is what it is.

"I know how hard those guys work. They're attentive and ask questions, it has to be something else. Whatever you have there, you need to give (the players) a chance to have a system and let it work for a couple years." Anderson's comments hold a lot of cachet and express a lot of what people are feeling right now — if there is a system in place, no one knows what it is and whatever it is, it changes frequently. For example, a team built to run the ball morphed into an offense that has returned to the pass happy ways of five years ago.

But by building a system for the long haul, you are dictating what players you want to bring in that are the best fit. If you are changing once every couple years, that creates a mismatch of different players and different styles that end up being square pegs in round holes.

Anderson also wanted to express that he thinks Mike Brown is receptive to player's opinions. Anderson pointed out that in 2000 he went up to Mike Brown's office with Takeo Spikes to keep Dick LeBeau as head coach. It was also Anderson who came out when LeBeau's contract was not retained and called for the hiring of an African-American head coach, which happened with Marvin Lewis taking the job.

The biggest problem according to Anderson is that management is not seen in the locker room.

"I know (Mike Brown) will listen to guys but they don't know there's an open door," Anderson said. "I used to always want them to come down and understand the locker room. All personalities might not fit in your locker room. Ask questions with the guys.

"He's an easy going guy, you can talk to him. That perception is not easily given there. He would love for guys to talk to him but I don't know if guys know that."

When Anderson was with Baltimore in 2008 he saw Ozzie Newsome in the locker room almost every day trying to get advice and input from the players, which is something that is not seen here.

"Having a system in place and knowing the pulse is a huge thing," Anderson said. "I know Katie (Blackburn), Troy (Blackburn) and Mike Brown want to win. There needs to be a gap bridged between the players and everyone else."

Whether or not a system is put into place during this upcoming offseason will be the biggest question of all.

Simply substitute "management" with "system".

Read ANY book on management and the techniques to overcome a myriad of problems regarding communication and unity in purpose.

Management is what this team lacks. It is from this which things like unity in purpose, cohesion, trust and culture are fostered.

"I don't blame any players. Players do what you are allowed to do." ---Willie Anderson

Children, if they're spoiled, sometimes do things simply because they're allowed to. Mature adults do what they're supposed to do without being coddled, begged....or for that matter, asked.

I do agree with Anderson on at least one point. That being, the Bengal lockerroom doesn't lack for leadership. It's just bad leadership. Always has been. And for an example I'll start with Anderson's own history of consistently supporting Chad's antics rather than calling him out or holding him accountable. Instead, Anderson mouthed a bunch of empty bulls**t about how Chad was just keeping everyone loose. How he was just doing what he needed to do to motivate himself. Well IMHO that's a bunch of crap and a perfect example of something that wouldn't be tolerated on a team with a winning culture.

Furthermore, I'd say the Bengals have never lacked focus or an identity as a team. The core problem isn't the recent example of them flopping from a successful running team to a miserable pass happy squad. Rather, it's the identity they've historically chosen for itself. This is a passing team at it's core, and everything else is given a lower priority. And almost as damaging, this teams fanbase overwhelmingly embraces the flash over substance. Or if you prefer, as a fanbase too many of us crave the sizzle over the steak....and the team is only too happy to give us what we want.

Last point. None of the above is meant to absolve the Bengals front office or coaching staff from it's much deserved share of blame. But any argument uttered by a player based upon not blaming the players themselves should be seen for what it is. That being, a full load of self-serving bulls**t....which is exactly what I've come to expect from the likes of Willie Anderson.

Mike Brown is only 73. Paul Brown ran the team until he was 83. Our sentence is at least 10 more years.

Paul Brown continued to run the team because he knew he had a "Billy Madison" as one of his sons.

SoP could continue for another decade, yes, though I think he will cede his position soon. Time better spent spoiling his own grandkids, moving on from spoiling professional football clowns.