George a Cowboy

wookie

Were I just looking at his stats, then I would agree with you full-heartedly. Having watched every game of his career, it's easy to see how the stats are misleading (and incomplete).

But at the end of the day that's all George has now...Maybe had he once been an MVP, or offensive player of the year...Maybe if he had a ring...Hell maybe if he actually led the league in rushing one season...Maybe, but he doesn't have any of those things. Now I don't blame George, and I'm not trying to rip on him...I'm just saying he's not great, just good. Also, I clearly blamed his team for not doing more for him...I just think reports of Georges greatness have been greatly exaggerated.

Not that I want to get into the middle of this heated debate betwee Sky and Kevnz, but will George be a factor in the game against the Bengals? If he is a tough, grind it out runner who can break tackles then he will be able to wear down our depleted D-line. That has to be a concern.

Not that  I want to get into the middle of this heated debate betwee Sky and Kevnz, but will George be a factor in the game against the Bengals? If he is a tough, grind it out runner who can break tackles then he will be able to wear down our depleted D-line. That has to be a concern.

Parcells is one of those coaches who can make a difference. I know that the topic is George, but you have to look at the situation in its entirety.

George is a diminished though still very good running back who ( as Sky points out ) if used correctly will still be very effective. I think Parcells can be counted on to come up with a game plan to use George when and how he will be the most effective. Knowing Parcells, look for ball control with enough of a passing game to keep the defense off balance. If our D line has a weakness, Parcells will exploit it and stay away from our strengths.

If our Dt situation isn't settled going into the season, then this could be a long game for us. At that point we're better off getting into a shoot out with them. That is assuming that our offense is going to be the point producing machine that a lot of people are expecting it to be.

I'm like Billy....... I just don't trust the Tuna.

Were I just looking at his stats, then I would agree with you full-heartedly.  Having watched every game of his career, it's easy to see how the stats are misleading (and incomplete).

But at the end of the day that's all George has now...Maybe had he once been an MVP, or offensive player of the year...Maybe if he had a ring...Hell maybe if he actually led the league in rushing one season...Maybe, but he doesn't have any of those things. Now I don't blame George, and I'm not trying to rip on him...I'm just saying he's not great, just good. Also, I clearly blamed his team for not doing more for him...I just think reports of Georges greatness have been greatly exaggerated.

You're kidding me, right Kev??? You're calling a 10,000 yard rusher AVERAGE???

So, that means that Ricky Watters and Eddie George are just average backs???

Does this mean that you're also questioning the warrior-like attitude of Eddie George???

Any back that reeks toughness like George and Stephen Davis (meaning getting tons of carries every season), I would take in a heartbeat!!!!!

You're crazy.

:wacko:

I'll point out that the Titans could have made George a much better back by giving him help, but that is really a moot point.

Plus look at his big play potential...It's not there. He's a good grinding back, all I'm saying is that he's not great...He could have been, but blame the Titans for wasting his full potential. Hell, even Eddie ripped the Titans for not giving him any help, especially on his line (guess who's gonna be ripping them next for their o-line? McNair...he get's hit too damn much, if he wasn't so tough he'd be a cripple by now)

The Titans in no way shape or form wasted George's potential. He was the ONE player who helped Steve McNair develop into the MVP that he is today.

Eddie George was a great runningback. Just never as good as Barry, Emmit, or Thurman for that matter. But that is hardly a crime.

You also can't blame the Titans for not putting anybody around him. They were allegedly the best team with the best defense in 2000 according to EVERYBODY. Unfortunately for Eddie and Co., they ran into Ray Lewis & the 2000 Baltimore Ravens Defense.

Eddie George was The Man for many years and now he is a good running back. I'd take him over half the rb's in the league.

Just my two cents...

You're kidding me, right Kev??? You're calling a 10,000 yard rusher AVERAGE???

So, that means that Ricky Watters and Eddie George are just average backs???

Does this mean that you're also questioning the warrior-like attitude of Eddie George???

Any back that reeks toughness like George and Stephen Davis (meaning getting tons of carries every season), I would take in a heartbeat!!!!!

You're crazy.

:wacko:

Average? Kinda...slightly above average, not great. How many times did he run the damn ball? Come on. Any back that get's handed the ball that much is gonna put up huge numbers. And I never questioned his toughness. Hell far from it. To carry the ball that much he is one tough SOB. Was he a workhorse? Yep. But wasn't his best seasons running behind Lorenzo Neal? I'm sorry, you have to consider that he was running behind a pro bowl fullback.....

The Titans in no way shape or form wasted George's potential. He was the ONE player who helped Steve McNair develop into the MVP that he is today.

Eddie George was a great runningback. Just never as good as Barry, Emmit, or Thurman for that matter. But that is hardly a crime.

You also can't blame the Titans for not putting anybody around him. They were allegedly the best team with the best defense in 2000 according to EVERYBODY. Unfortunately for Eddie and Co., they ran into Ray Lewis & the 2000 Baltimore Ravens Defense.

Jam, but see they did waste his potential. In 2000 the Titans were a defensive team just like the Ravens....They simply ran into a better defense and the Ravens could throw the ball just a touch better as well....If the titans had a passing game back then, maybe your team wouldn't have won? who knows. Every year the titans drafted more and more Defensive players in the high rounds and let Eddie run behind average, at best, O-linemen. You add a probowler or two on that line...and a offensive coordinator that actually knew how to throw the ball some the Titans could very well have won serveral super bowls and George would have at the very least led the league in rushing...Hell, he wouldn't have needed to have a passing game if he just had better help on the line....

"Parcells' system really got a boost with the signing of Eddie George. A power runner, he is a perfect fit for the type of offense Parcells wants to run. George will eat up the clock and shorten games for the Cowboys. Also, he will let the quarterbacks use a lot of play-action passes – something they were not able to do last season." Taken from Yahoo Sports, Chris Carter's assesment of the NFC East

This is the kind of thing I was worried about, and the whole reason I started this topic. I agree that there is room to debate George's career and what his future will be, but it would all be meaningless to Bengaldom IF WE DID'T HAVE TO PLAY THEM THIS YEAR!!!!!

Since we do have to play them we have to look at what the Cowboys, as a whole, bring to the Jungle. Can the Bengals shut down their offense and manage to score on their D and pull out a victory, or do the 'Boys leave town having bagged a Tiger?

Since we do have to play them we have to look at what the Cowboys, as a whole, bring to the Jungle. Can the Bengals shut down their offense and manage to score on their D and pull out a victory, or do the 'Boys leave town having bagged a Tiger?

It's going to be a good game come November 7th!