Reds Starting rotation, who starts?

cincyhokie

Arroyo, Leake, Wood, Bailey, Chapman, Volquez, Cueto.

Only 5 spots with 7 potential starters.

Chapman could remain in the bullpen but for 30 million, doesn't seem likely.

Arroyo, Wood, and Chapman are locks for the starting rotation, IMHO.

Leake and Bailey have shown they can be consistent starters if given the chance.

I would like to see the following:

Arroyo, Wood, Chapman, Bailey, and Volquez are who I'd like to see in the starting 5.

Keep Leake as a potential starter in the pen. Trade Cueto in a package to get another OF and or 3B.

My guess is Chapman begins the year in the minors re-learning to start. But I still would like to see a starter dealt for help in other areas. It could be any of Bailey, Volquez or Cueto

Listening to Sports Talk on 700 WLW.

One caller had an interesting prediction: Reds trade Phillips and Arroyo in the offseason.

McAlister comes back and says: The Reds won't trade Arroyo because no one in the rotation would be a worthy veteran.

What if in the trade we got back a veteran pitcher? Trading Arroyo would free up ALOT of salary. Phillips? I wouldn't mind seeing him go. As long as we got a quality 2B in return.

Jockety will make a big trade this offseason. He's done it before and he's good. Plus, if the Reds are going to increase payroll they need to get people in the stands and buy season tickets in the offseason. A huge trade should be able to influence alot of people to purchase tickets.

I think a lot of what happens with the pitching rotation will depend on other position players, namely one Joey Votto and him being arbitration eligible. The MVP isn't secured at this point, but even if he doesn't win it, he's certainly right there. Reason I bring this up ?? The last time an MVP winner was up for arbitration, (I think it was the dude from the Phillies) he landed a deal better than 10 million per season.

That type of payday for Votto could limit what else they do considering Volquez is also arbitration eligible along with some others I mentioned in another thread. I to wouldn't be surprised to see some moves made to free up space. I would however be surprised if the players brought in add to the salary this team is looking at for next season.

Next years rotation ?? Color me happy however it turns out as long as it includes Arroyo. I'm NOT one of the people that think he's easily replaced regardless of his salary for 2011. They kept Harang around for years at a high price for little to nothing in return. Arroyo will give far more than Harang ever did the last few seasons. We need a veteran in the pitching staff.

Arroyo

Volquez

Cueto

Bailey

Wood

to start the year, Chapman or Leake, hopefully, will be the long reliever/5th starter if Bailey or Wood has problems in the preseason.

Have they dumped Harang, yet?

The Reds need a big time trade, but a Closer is what is needed, not another starter.

I would be more than happy to deal Phillips, he seemed to be the only Reds player that still jogged down the line this season. Go out and get a 2nd baseman that hustles every play no matter what.

Resign Gomes as the 4th outfeilder and let Heisey, Stubbs and Bruce have the starting duties.

The most important thing I was hoping for in the off season was the firing of Baker, but he has already gotten his extension, YUCK!!