Why I have such harsh words about Palmer

Top Ten Questions: Ready for camp?

July 27, 2004

By Clark Judge

SportsLine.com Senior Writer

4. Can Carson Palmer make the Bengals a winner?

Carson Palmer has a solid team to direct, but can the Bengals get to the playoffs?(AP)

Let's see, he hasn't taken a regular-season snap, and history says the game is unkind to first-time starting quarterbacks.

Troy Aikman was 0-11 in his rookie season.

John Elway threw twice as many interceptions as touchdowns.

Peyton Manning was 3-13.

Only there's a difference here:

This isn't Palmer's first season.

It's his second, and that might be a blessing.

"Now, he's not feeling like a rookie who's here for the first time, where everything is new," said quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese.

"All those things that are anxiety builders for a guy are not there.

So there's a confidence.

Plus, he's seen how the game works and how we might change things during a game.

And he's built relationships with his teammates.

He just wants to be seen as one of the guys, who isn't treated any differently than anyone."

Good luck.

Because of his position and because he's a No. 1 pick he must be treated differently than everyone.

But he's in a better spot than, say, Manning was in his first tour of duty.

The Bengals have a solid offensive line.

Running back Rudi Johnson looks legit.

And the defense should improve from its 28th-place finish of a year ago.

All of that will help with Palmer's learning curve.

Then there's his natural ability.

Zampese compares Palmer's arm to that of a young Jim Everett, and that's not bad.

But the arm is not the issue; experience is.

Look for Palmer to gain plenty of exposure in preseason games.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Next_Big_Thing, I hope that your comment about Barbarian wasn't also directed at me.  I wasn't making fun of him necessarily, I was just pointing out that he is a homer.  I don['t have anything against anyone here, so I hope that my comments are taken correctly.

Don't worry about him. He said something about me and then ran away. That's what he does.

Kirk,

Who are you referring to???

And Next_Big_Thing, I hope that your comment about Barbarian wasn't also directed at me.  I wasn't making fun of him necessarily, I was just pointing out that he is a homer.  I don['t have anything against anyone here, so I hope that my comments are taken correctly.

Don't worry about him. He said something about me and then ran away. That's what he does.

Kirk,

Who are you referring to???

Not you spaceman.

Well sheesh, I see that my effort to de-rail the flaming was completely ignored.

Oh well, as long as you guys are enjoying it just Have At It.

I don't know about anybody else but this off-season seems like it has lasted Forever to me.

Let get Camp Opened Already and Get the pre-season Games Started !

look; i'm in a pissed off mood. :angry: so get the hell off palmers back, <_< (yet remember i'm a KITNA fan :) ). this kid will be FINE...d :D aka "friends". <_< now on to the important stuff. camp is here, all the bulls**t is yet to come. we'll see just what the hell goes down. lot's of cuts; lots of unbelievable moves. this will be an exciting year. ya know; it's good to get pissed off now and then!!!!!!!! :angry::D kick ass CARSON!!!!!

Um Barb, don't get me wrong, I like you, but admit it, your comeback was extraordinarily weak and saying you were "serious" doesn't make you look any smarter (on the contrary...).

I think all the Palmer fans should go look back in history at all the failed quarterbacks and remember that no matter what happens in practice means nothing on the field.

Jeff Garcia is an awful practice QB.

(story from MNF...) Bill Walsh and John Madden were watching him in practice and Madden was extremely skeptical, cause he looked awful. But Walsh decided to take a chance on Garcia and that translated into a tremendous amount of success on the field despite his recent decline.

I like Palmer, but I'm being a skeptic.

Oh hell, Bengals 15-1 with Palmer the MVP! There that's my new line of thinking :P :player: