Former Reds manager Pinella retiring

BengalszoneBilly

Farewell Lou, and thanks for bringing a World Series Crown to Cincinnati. BMANGINneg5371-575x380.jpg

Piniella, 66, says he's done after managing today's game

CBSSports.com wire reports

CHICAGO -- Saying his mom needs him to come home, Cubs manager Lou Piniella has decided to step down after Sunday's game against the Atlanta Braves.

The 66-year-old Piniella made the announcement in a release handed out by the team. Third base coach Mike Quade was promoted to interim manager.

Piniella said last month he planned to retire at the end of the season and reiterated his plans just Saturday. But he missed four games in August to be with his ailing mom in Florida and felt he needed to spend more time with her.

"My mom needs me home," Piniella said. "She hasn't gotten any better since I've been here. She's had a couple other complications, and rather than continue to go home, come back, it's not fair to the team, it's not fair to the players. So the best thing is just to step down and go home and take care of my mother."

Entering Sunday's game, Piniella's overall record was 1,835-1,712 (.517). He trails only Tony La Russa, Bobby Cox and Joe Torre in victories among active managers.

Piniella's record with the Cubs was 316-292. Under the mellowed skipper, Chicago won consecutive NL Central titles in 2007-08, but missed the playoffs last year and slipped back even further this season with a new owner in charge.

"I've enjoyed it here," Piniella said. "In four wonderful years I've made a lot of friends and had some success here, this year has been a little bit of a struggle. But, look. Family is important, it comes first. My mom needs me home and that's where I'm going."

Piniella was planning to exchange lineup cards with longtime Braves manager Bobby Cox, who is retiring after this season, and pose for a picture before Sunday's game.

In 18 years in the majors as a player and another 22 as a manager, Piniella made five trips to the World Series and has three championship rings.

Piniella began managing in 1986 with the Yankees and lasted three years, including a stint as general manager. He managed the Reds from 1990-92, leading them to a World Series championship in his first season. He also got national attention during his time there for a clubhouse wrestling match with reliever Rob Dibble, who downplayed the incident and said "we've been family ever since."

After Cincinnati, Piniella had a long run in Seattle, where his teams won at least 90 games four times and 116 in 2001. The three-time manager of the year also spent three seasons in Tampa Bay's dugout.

"I'll have plenty of time to reflect, I will," Piniella said. "I've enjoyed it. It's a wonderful place to work and wonderful people to work with and for. To end a career in a place like Wrigley (Field) in a city like Chicago with these wonderful fans, I couldn't be more appreciative to the Cub organization."

I always liked Pinella as a coach while he was here and even afterward, but this doesn't really surprise me much at all.

The Cubs have a HUGE payroll and have absolutely underachieved this season. I mean their payroll is like 100 million more than ours.

I'm surprised he didn't do this at the break to be honest.

Thanks Lou and good luck to you !!!

One of my favorites. Lou is great. Baseball will miss Lou for sure. This was a very hard year on him in Chi town. Good luck Lou. Hope to see him back sometime.

I always liked Pinella as a coach while he was here and even afterward, but this doesn't really surprise me much at all.

The Cubs have a HUGE payroll and have absolutely underachieved this season. I mean their payroll is like 100 million more than ours.

I'm surprised he didn't do this at the break to be honest.

Thanks Lou and good luck to you !!!

I look for them to rebuild next year, Getting rid of Lilly, Theriot and Lee was probably the beginning of that process.

I kind of expected that this would be Lou's last year either voluntarily or otherwise if they we're winning.

I kind of expected that this would be Lou's last year either voluntarily or otherwise if they we're winning.

I think before this season began Lou declared this would be his last year. It seems he just lost the desire, and couple that with family issues, he decided now was a good as time as any. It's not like the Cubs were going to the playoffs, that's for sure!

The thing with the Cubs rebuilding is with them trading so many pieces away, they haven't really gotten much in return.

Derek Lee for 3 minor league pitching prospects that won't fill any immediate hole ?? Not sure on that, but time will tell.

Couple things like that happening with their payroll and I think it's a longer process than most Cubs fans are willing to admit.

Ryne Sandberg (if he's the guy) won't be the answer either and I think he might get set up for failure in that situation.