Got ink?

Can't say I do. Even as a Marine, I didn't see the attraction in marking on my body, although all my buddies in the Corps couldn't wait to get "U.S.M.C." emblazoned on their arms. And what I really can't understand is this whole piercing thing, unless it's a womans tongue. The purpose there is readily evident. :P

My current girlfriend has multiple tattos. One, of a small rose hidden on her upper rump is kinda cute. I'm not too thrilled about her visable ones. In my opinion they make her look cheap, and she's far better than that. Maybe I just find tats on men more acceptable than on women. :blink:

Can't say I do. Even as a Marine, I didn't see the attraction in marking on my body, although all my buddies in the Corps couldn't wait to get "U.S.M.C." emblazoned on their arms. And what I really can't understand is this whole piercing thing, unless it's a womans tongue. The purpose there is readily evident.  :P

My current girlfriend has multiple tattos. One, of a small rose hidden on her upper rump is kinda cute. I'm not too thrilled about her visable ones. In my opinion they make her look cheap, and she's far better than that. Maybe I just find tats on men more acceptable than on women.  :blink:

Billy,

Are you a long-lost uncle or something--man, we think alike sometimes. I have so many long-lost family members on this board.

I will NOT mark up my body because in 50 years, I'll look at it in disgust and say "man, I was a dumbass kid back then".

My girlfriend has more tats than I do--one that she regrets. I do not want to be in that position.

Here's the potentially hypocritical situation: If the tattoo actually meant something to a group of people--then I don't mind it. I would actually get it then--if I knew I were to be proud of it all my life.

:wacko:

Can't say I do. Even as a Marine, I didn't see the attraction in marking on my body, although all my buddies in the Corps couldn't wait to get "U.S.M.C." emblazoned on their arms. And what I really can't understand is this whole piercing thing, unless it's a womans tongue. The purpose there is readily evident. :P

My current girlfriend has multiple tattos. One, of a small rose hidden on her upper rump is kinda cute. I'm not too thrilled about her visable ones. In my opinion they make her look cheap, and she's far better than that. Maybe I just find tats on men more acceptable than on women. :blink:

Did you get the same thing that I did when you were in ???? All the guys getting the tatoos were saying it was for I D so that if they got it they could be identified by the tatoo.

When I told them it was a waste of money they all said ... well if you get killed and don't have your dog tags .... how will they know who you are ??? I said it'll be easy. I'm the one without the tatoo.

Tattoos are all over the place these days, and most of them are crap. In order to get one, in my opinion, it must be something that are all of or at least most of the following things.

-you wouldnt mind it on your body forever

-youve thought about and considered for at least 6 months (never pick something off the wall)

-means something to you

-is somewhat original (this is only my own preference)

-youve seen the portfolio of the artist and approve of his/her work

If you dont have at least 3 of these things considered, forget it, and for me, I gotta be sure about all these things before I get inked. Otherwise, its not worth it.

When I told them it was a waste of money they all said ... well if you get killed and don't have your dog tags .... how will they know who you are ??? I said it'll be easy. I'm the one without the tatoo.

I too heard that when I was in the Marines, then I had to go to my first crash site to pick up human remains. Between and aircrew of three, and a platoon of 20+ men, the burns were so bad there was no chance to I.D. anything but heads from dental records. All else was burned beyond even determining race, much less a tattoo. So much for tats being a reliable combat I.D. system!

When I told them it was a waste of money they all said  ... well if you get killed and don't have your dog tags .... how will they know who you are ??? I said it'll be easy. I'm the one without the tatoo.

I too heard that when I was in the Marines, then I had to go to my first crash site to pick up human remains. Between and aircrew of three, and a platoon of 20+ men, the burns were so bad there was no chance to I.D. anything but heads from dental records. All else was burned beyond even determining race, much less a tattoo. So much for tats being a reliable combat I.D. system!

Saw a couple of things along those lines myself. Didn't mean to dredge up any bad memories. Sorry if I did.

Saw a couple of things along those lines myself. Didn't mean to dredge up any bad memories. Sorry if I did.

Don't worry about it Pat. I learned to deal with that 20+ years ago. Unfortunately I think I'm too callus to such things now. That may be a bad thing.

Hey...how did we arrive here from the subject of tattoos anyway? Back to the subject...what's the most bizarre tattoo anyone has seen?

Boy I've seen some WILD ones!! The wildest...a tat of a small monarch butterfly. Not so wild you say? How about it being located on the head of a man's penis!!

Now before anyone gets the wrong freakin' idea of how I found this out, this person and I were in the same unit in the 'Corps, and I watched him get the tattoo in Hong Kong.

And as you might probably think...he was passed out drunk during the application, and it took another visit to the artist to fill in the color no less!! He won many a bar bet from it! :wacko:

Don't worry about it Pat. I learned to deal with that 20+ years ago. Unfortunately I think I'm too callus to such things now. That may be a bad thing.

Hey...how did we arrive here from the subject of tattoos anyway? Back to the subject...what's the most bizarre tattoo anyone has seen?

Boy I've seen some WILD ones!! The wildest...a tat of a small monarch butterfly. Not so wild you say? How about it being located on the head of a man's penis!!

Now before anyone gets the wrong freakin' idea of how I found this out, this person and I were in the same unit in the 'Corps, and I watched him get the tattoo in Hong Kong.

And as you might probably think...he was passed out drunk during the application, and it took another visit to the artist to fill in the color no less!! He won many a bar bet from it! :wacko:

Two of the weirdest that I've seen are a guy that had a spider tattooed on his cheekbone and then the rest of the side of his face was a spider web. Yeah .... he looked just a little to the freaky side. Next is a guy from work. He thought the DOT symbol for a bio hazard was so neat that he had it done on his neck. Thing is that he got it done so big that it runs from his hairline to the base of his neck, and from his throat area to the nape of his neck. :unsure:

weirdest I've seen on tv was the guy who when he found out he was terminally ill, had his whole upper torso tattooed with scenes from his life that included his kids .... wife .... friends etc. Not too weird in itself, but then he told his son that after he was dead that he was to have him skinned and then preserve and frame and display his tatoos as a memorial and reminder. He did it ! As bad as it sounds ... it was worse.

I think I'd have said " ya know Dad ???? I think a picture will do just fine. "

And I'm really glad you cleard up the butterfly thing