NY/NJ to host 2014 Super Bowl

I hope it snows like hell!

/>http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8184fc83&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

It's possible but it rarely snows a great deal in that small region near the coast. I spent 2 winters there and I think the most I saw was a couple of inches once or twice. Go upstate a few miles into the mountains on the Hudson River and it snows alot more.

One thing is certain that in February it's COLD, COLD, COLD, and extremely windy down there at the Meadowlands.

The game should be interesting, however, because there's little chance the temperature will be mild.

What's funny is, at $1.6 Billion, it is the most expensive Stadium ever built, but the reason they didn't put a roof on it was "cost". Listen, if you spend $1.6 Billion on a Stadium, that sh*t better come with a roof....

Don't really want to see a Snow Bowl.....Don't mind as much for a playoff game, but the SuperBowl should be played in good weather or a dome.

I know it is a different time and era now but one of the knocks on the cold weather sites (see Pontiac, Michigan, 1982) was that there is less to do in the area in the colder climates during the winter. Part of the hook is the boost to the local economy. I know there are a ton more activities and sites in the NY area compared to Detroit but it seems like a large risk.

And for the game itself, who wants to spend $800 per seat to potentially freeze their ass off?

Maybe it all works out but I think LaGuardia was shut down during the same weekend earlier this year. Not good for business.

I know it is a different time and era now but one of the knocks on the cold weather sites (see Pontiac, Michigan, 1982) was that there is less to do in the area in the colder climates during the winter. Part of the hook is the boost to the local economy. I know there are a ton more activities and sites in the NY area compared to Detroit but it seems like a large risk.

And for the game itself, who wants to spend $800 per seat to potentially freeze their ass off?

Maybe it all works out but I think LaGuardia was shut down during the same weekend earlier this year. Not good for business.

Well, the SB is supposed to be just a championship game, not a week long party. The last Superbowl they had to move most of the events indoors because of rain, so that would really be any different than snow.

Aside from that, football is meant to be played in the elements. I've never understood why it's ok for every game to be played in the elements but the Superbowl. Why should it be any different?

Like it or not the Super Bowl is as much about corporate America as it is for the game itself. It's a little hard to party and schmooz if you can't get to the game or you're freezing your ass off in your luxury box.

If it is just another game, why do they add an extra week between the games? They should just play it the week after the Conference Championship game at the home site of the team with the best record or head-to-head seasonal winner.

I was at Super Bowl XVI in Pontiac and even though I was only 11, I was at all the pre-Super Bowl activities going on downtown and on Bourbon street there. I can tell you there was no one complaining about what to do OR the weather, which was quite cold outside. Bottomline, you can make a party anywhere and something tells me, they won't have that problem in NYC either. I love that place.

Now, what I will say is, I like the snow during the playoffs, but I'm not quite sure I want that when it comes to the Championship game.

I'm sure it will all work out, so it's not like I'm losing sleep over it or anything.

This opens the door for other outside stadiums in the cold though. Cincinnati Super Bowl anyone ?? Won't happen though...

Like it or not the Super Bowl is as much about corporate America as it is for the game itself. It's a little hard to party and schmooz if you can't get to the game or you're freezing your ass off in your luxury box.

If it is just another game, why do they add an extra week between the games? They should just play it the week after the Conference Championship game at the home site of the team with the best record or head-to-head seasonal winner.

Well, I don't like that it's about corporate America. F**k corporate America. And if you want to party, nothing is gonna stop you from partying. You see how many people are in New York partying every New Year's Eve? The cold isn't keeping anyone from coming and having a good time.

As for the extra week between the Championship games and the Superbowl, I don't know that I agree with that either. I assume it was originally to give both teams enough time to prepare for the game, but now that they have the Pro Bowl going that week I don't ever see that changing.

Well, I don't like that it's about corporate America. F**k corporate America. And if you want to party, nothing is gonna stop you from partying. You see how many people are in New York partying every New Year's Eve? The cold isn't keeping anyone from coming and having a good time.

As for the extra week between the Championship games and the Superbowl, I don't know that I agree with that either. I assume it was originally to give both teams enough time to prepare for the game, but now that they have the Pro Bowl going that week I don't ever see that changing.

Good luck with changing the corporate part of things. As for the rest of it, time will tell if it's better, worse or whatever.

Personally, I am a creature of habit so I am reluctant to see things change because in most cases they got that way for a reason. But if there are no issues or objections with playing and partying in colder climates, they should go back to the pre-Super Bowl era and play the championship game in the home field of the team with the best record of the two or head-to-head record. If you're going to shake it up, you might as well go all the way.

Good luck with changing the corporate part of things. As for the rest of it, time will tell if it's better, worse or whatever.

Personally, I am a creature of habit so I am reluctant to see things change because in most cases they got that way for a reason. But if there are no issues or objections with playing and partying in colder climates, they should go back to the pre-Super Bowl era and play the championship game in the home field of the team with the best record of the two or head-to-head record. If you're going to shake it up, you might as well go all the way.

Really shake things up and play the SB on the home feild of the representative team that won the pro-bowl. Oh wait, MLB already does that stupid crap!

I have no problem with the NFL moving the Super Bowl out of the southern states. The game was designed to be played in all types of weather.

Agreed. Furthermore, I doubt the NFL cares very much about the comfort level of fans who attend the game. Or rather, they care more about following through on giving a carrot to cities and owners who build showcase stadiums.

Besides, the game is now played for a televised audience, not for the guy who bought a ticket.

Hell yeah RMex! That's what I'm talking about. Why any regular fan should give a crap about whether some CEO is cold is beyond me. SB tix are out of the reach of a regular fan at this point anyway. I could give a rat's ass (since I'm watching on tv) how cold it is. A championship team should be able to play and win in the elements and it's just more interesting to have different conditions for different seasons. Otherwise, it's always going to be limited to being in Florida or California or a dome and that's freaking lame. I'm with Mexico -- F**K corporate America -- the SB should belong to the fans. Let them freeze.

I have no problem with the NFL moving the Super Bowl out of the southern states. The game was designed to be played in all types of weather.

yup,would love to see snowy superbowl.

I absolutely love this idea. Football is a game for all weathers, I love to see the variety. And honestly I would love to payt hat much money and freeze my ass off if I could.

True that I remember reading how fans wouldn't like it,it's l ike bullcrap :P weather would give it all that much more of a experience to remember.

I'd love this a lot more if it meant Cinci could get a Super Bowl, but it won't, even though there is absolutely no reason not to have it in any NFL city now.

The one bright side I see is if they start having it in cold weather cities, you might see a better football crowd since I think more true fans will come out in a cold game. You have to admit that some of the Super Bowl crowds have been tame.