Palmer vs Carr

WHO DEY AGAIN?

Where do you think these guys will be in 5 years? I think Carr is on his way to a very productive career. He seems to have all the tools and a good head on his shoulders. I see him in the Pro Bowl by next year.

Palmer has all the tools too. His size and arm strength is good. I think Lewis waiting to play him is wise. He can sit back and learn and not get thrown to the wolves. I would like to see him come in late in a game if the outcome has been determined. I think he will be as good as Boomer but it might take longer for him to get to that level.

From what i have read Palmer is ahead of the learning curve and will be ready when ever Marvin Lewis puts him in.......he has been compared to bret farve and dan marino.....so if he can live up to those 2 greats then we will have one HEL* of a QB for many years......... even BOOMER himself has said Palmer is a great QB and has taken time to study and learn with boomer over the summer.....

cheers - jbengals1

A little harder to say with Palmer than Carr, seeing as how he's never been in a game yet. If nothing else, Carr proved he was tough last year when he took all those sacks. So we can figure he's tough and that he's got a ceratin amount of talent. Pro bowl next year ??? Nah !! McNair and Peyton are both puttting up huge numbers this year. They've got a good amount of experience, and still at a young age. Next year they are only going to be better. One of them will have to take a real tumble for Carr to even have a chance. At that, you've still got the Bradys and Penningtons to figure in along with other active new guys Boller and Leftwich.

Palmer in 5 years ???????????????????????? That's about how many question marks are around him. Is he as good as we think ? Will he fit the system ? Will he have the running game ? receivers ? Offensive line ? Will ownership make sure he has everything he needs ????? Even given that he's got the talent because everybody seems to agree about that, there's still to many other things that have to figured in.

I couldn't wait to see Kilingler because of the arm he had. Sorry to say this, but I didn't like Smith the minute I saw him. He didn't have any grace or poise .... his motion and delivery were mechanical. To me, he always looked like a defensive end who was trying to throw the ball. With Palmer, I'm cautiously optimistic. He looks good, he's saying the right things, he's not being rushed, everybody loves him. BUT. He still had the same number of really good college years as Akili Smith. I just can't get past that, and this time I'm going to have to see before I believe.

*My above comment was not intended in any way to be disrespectful of defensive ends.

If nothing else, Carr proved he was tough last year when he took all those sacks.

And that's half (or more) of being a successful QB (or a player at any position) in the NFL. Akili Smith is a perfect example. Whatever else might be said about him, the bottom line is that he couldn't stay healthy. Even if he'd been the next Montana on the field, he would have been useless because of his continuing string of injuries. Worst case scenario for Carr is he's an overpaid Jon Kitna (and I think he'll get better than Kit, no offense to either of them intended).

With Palmer, I'm cautiously optimistic.

Me, too. The biggest knock against Palmer was brainpower, that he took a season or two to digest a playbook, so sitting his arse on the bench is the perfect answer. That said, I expect he'll be lucky to do as well as Kit next year. He's a rook, he'll still be a rook (essentially) and 2005 is probably our first real shot. Which means that, assuming Palmer works out, next year's draft could be real crucial for the secondary and offensive line, 'cause we're going to need both youth and experience in '05.

I've already switched QBs on my Madden 2004 -- benching Kitna for Palmer, but when all you do is hand off the ball to your running back, what's it really matter who's taking the snaps, right?

I really like what Ive seen of Carr so far, but it seems hes had a hard time staying healthy so far, some of that has to do with all the sacks hes taken. As for Palmer, well, ask me next year at this time..... ;)

I'm dating myself here, but ........

I watched Kenny Anderson get the snot beat out of him for a whole season. Every time he dropped back, he looked terrified and with good reason too. Bengals didn't win too many games that year, and when we'd talk football, I said he'd had it. Back up had to come in and spell him at times cause he'd get the wind knocked out of him or something. I thought it was too bad, but that Anderson had just plain had the heart beat right out of him. He sure looked like it to me. Pretty much did to everybody else too from what they were saying. Course next year he came back and took them to the Super Bowl. <_< Like I said on one of the other posts. Thats why they get to coach and I get to watch.

Even if Palmer has a rough start next year, it may not mean much. Elway, Aikman, & Bledsoe got pummelled on a regular basis their first year. On the other hand, stretching back to last year Kitna has been playing pretty good ........... and still has people screaming for his head after on ebad series of plays or God forbid a whole quarter. I'm not going to be too quick to jump on Plamers back if he does bad or on his bandwagon if he does good.

Me, too. The biggest knock against Palmer was brainpower, that he took a season or two to digest a playbook, so sitting his arse on the bench is the perfect answer. That said, I expect he'll be lucky to do as well as Kit next year. He's a rook, he'll still be a rook (essentially) and 2005 is probably our first real shot. Which means that, assuming Palmer works out, next year's draft could be real crucial for the secondary and offensive line, 'cause we're going to need both youth and experience in '05.

The main reason that Palmer got that knock about brainpower was because of what happened in his freshman year at SC. Paul Hackett, the head coach took the entire 49er West Coast Offense playbook, dropped it in his lap on the first day of practice, and then threw him into the starting lineup against Arizona (back when they were dismantling offenses), with no running game, one semi competent receiver and a sieve of an offensive line. No wonder he struggled! Expecting a true freshman, no matter how talented and intelligent he is, to totally learn and absorb a pro offense is idiotic! And then to throw him into the lineup against one of the top defenses in the nation as his first college start, I'm surprised he didn't give up football after recovering from the beating he took! What is most telling, is that Palmer has done okay, considering that he had 3 different head coaches and 5 different offensive coordinators. And when there was some stability in the form of Pete Carroll and his coaching staff, Palmer "all of a sudden" became THE dominant quarterback in college football.

What is most telling, is that Palmer has done okay, considering that he had 3 different head coaches and 5 different offensive coordinators. And when there was some stability in the form of Pete Carroll and his coaching staff, Palmer "all of a sudden" became THE dominant quarterback in college football.

I agree with you completely. Personally, I never bought into the "Palmer is a dummy" line (very popular with fans of Byron Leftwich), but all the same, if he can sit and study for a year, great. Knowing the offense inside and out can't hurt. I would love to see him get some snaps this year, ideally in the fourth quarter of a blowout, but we're still waiting for Kit & Co. to produce one... :lol:

I agree with you completely. Personally, I never bought into the "Palmer is a dummy" line (very popular with fans of Byron Leftwich), but all the same, if he can sit and study for a year, great. Knowing the offense inside and out can't hurt. I would love to see him get some snaps this year, ideally in the fourth quarter of a blowout, but we're still waiting for Kit & Co. to produce one... :lol:

Saw a good piece on one of the sports programs, and I can't remember which one it was. Thing is, they had Palmer in when he was drafted by the Bengals to talk fooball / qb position with Ron Jaworski. Showed clips of them going over game film with commnetary and so on. Guess their visit went on longer than what they had actually planned for. At the end, they had the usual "what did you think?" segment, and Jaworski said "That kid is like a sponge. He absorbs everything you say to him."

One of Palmers comments that didn't get a lot of attention when Carr was in town was that he was "getting antsy to play". It was refreshing to see some sign of life from him other than toeing the party line of " when I'm ready " . Couldn't agree with you more about getting him some live snaps in a game. Really wouldn't need to be with a big lead. Heck if we're 30 points down in the 4th quarter put him in then too. He'll have to deal with being down too. Be good to see how he does under pressure. Like they used to say .......... builds character.