Meet Rob Gronkowski

blueridge

The Bengals need another TE to pair with Chase Coffman and, as shown by his recent pro day,Rob Gronkowski is the best TE in this draft. And its not really close. Guys like Gronkowski, who combine sterling pass-catching skills,great size, and high end inline blocking ability,don't come around every year and shouldn't be passed up when they do. The guy is not just a solid 1st round value, but he has what it takes to be an elite player at the next level. The business about his back is a huge smokescreen. Gronkowski was picked over by team medical personnel at the combine, but you didn't hear reports about so-called red flags being raised by teams and murmurs of the dreaded spinal stenosis until 1 month before the draft when,as expected,he had a great workout. Forget it, Gronkowski will be a great pro for years.He has everything you would want in a TE and he is made to order for what the Bengals want and have been looking for. He should be the Bengals pick at #21.He won't be around when they pick again.Indeed, I don't think he will get out of the 1st round.If the Bengals want a prototype TE, and one of the best TE prospects to come out in years,Rob Gronkowski is a no-brainer at #21.

The Bengals need another TE to pair with Chase Coffman and, as shown by his recent pro day,Rob Gronkowski is the best TE in this draft. And its not really close. Guys like Gronkowski, who combine sterling pass-catching skills,great size, and high end inline blocking ability,don't come around every year and shouldn't be passed up when they do. The guy is not just a solid 1st round value, but he has what it takes to be an elite player at the next level. The business about his back is a huge smokescreen. Gronkowski was picked over by team medical personnel at the combine, but you didn't hear reports about so-called red flags being raised by teams and murmurs of the dreaded spinal stenosis until 1 month before the draft when,as expected,he had a great workout. Forget it, Gronkowski will be a great pro for years.He has everything you would want in a TE and he is made to order for what the Bengals want and have been looking for. He should be the Bengals pick at #21.He won't be around when they pick again.Indeed, I don't think he will get out of the 1st round.If the Bengals want a prototype TE, and one of the best TE prospects to come out in years,Rob Gronkowski is a no-brainer at #21.

I'd like to have him but idk about #21....

He won't present the BPA by any stretch at #21, but I absolutely love the thought of having Gronkowski in stripes (as shown in my mock). I made mention he may not be there when we pick in the 2nd as well. As for his back, yeah it's healed now per the doctors picking over him as you said, but it was enough to keep him out for the whole year last season. That's probably why he slips into the 2nd.

I have seen several mock drafts where Gronkowski is still available to the Bengals in Round 2. That is where I'd like to see us take him. I like his experience at blocking. He does a respectable job, but not worthy of a number 1 pick.

Gresham does not seem to have been used much for blocking on the game tapes that I have. Gresham would be an upgrade of Chase Coffman type TE. i.e. Good receiver, but not necessarily a good blocking TE.

one of the best TE prospects to come out in years,Rob Gronkowski is a no-brainer at #21.

HUH? REALLY? WHY? Because you said so? Honestly, you are the first person I have ever heard say something like that......NOT ONCE have I heard anybody say Gronk was one of the best TE prospects to come out in years.

If they take a TE at #21 IT BETTER DAMN WELL BE GRESHAM !!!! He's got very good hands, and is one tough runner. Gresham is a TD Machine. So if you want to settle for mediocrity, then go ahead....I'll take the future Pro Bowler.

I'm not saying Gronkowski won't be decent, I'm saying Gresham will be way better. Gresham's injury was just torn cartilage...Gronkowski injured his back. If you've ever known anybody who's had a back injury, they can act up at anytime, for any reason (even weather) when you play along either side of the line (OL,TE,DT,DE) if your back hurts, you're done...too physical. How the hell will he be expected to block, or even turn around to block someone if he has back pain. The dude had back surgery!!!!

Personally, I'd be a fool to believe that a guy who only played 2 years of college football (only 1 decent season) then missed a whole year after back surgery could come in and contribute ANYTHING his first or second year. Even if his back is fine, he only played 2 years....

I might even pass on Gronkowski in the 2nd Rd as well....maybe.

HUH? REALLY? WHY? Because you said so? Honestly, you are the first person I have ever heard say something like that.

Each Person is entitled to their own Opinion so simmer Down, wouldn't be shocking if bengals went with Gron over gresh because the fact hes more complete Tight End.

I am hesitant to take players that missed the last full year of football due to injury. I am also hesitant to take a potentially damaged goods TE, as we've already had several of those and they have not yet to date worked out.

I've watched Gronkowski's highlights and they are good. but no better than Aaron Hernandez's or Gresham's. In this offense, I'd rather have Dickerson or Hernandez.

've watched Gronkowski's highlights and they are good. but no better than Aaron Hernandez's or Gresham's. In this offense, I'd rather have Dickerson or Hernandez.

Because Blocking doesn't make highlights of people who touch the ball.

He catches the ball well. He blocks well. He does neither exceptionally.

If you want an exceptional blocking TE get the guy from Stanford.

've watched Gronkowski's highlights and they are good. but no better than Aaron Hernandez's or Gresham's. In this offense, I'd rather have Dickerson or Hernandez.

Or if you want a guy who can block well and make plays get Mccoy outta USC with our 3rd rd. comp... There are many reasonable choices. And also i really like jimmy graham... Can you say... Antonio gates????

Or if you want a guy who can block well and make plays get Mccoy outta USC with our 3rd rd. comp... There are many reasonable choices. And also i really like jimmy graham... Can you say... Antonio gates????

Mccoy very well be long gone since he's considered a 2nd or 3rd round prospect.

Mccoy very well be long gone since he's considered a 2nd or 3rd round prospect.

I feel ya,.. but hey, you never know... We can also look at is nate bynum outta pitt... He was there blocking TE but he can catch well also.

I just heard Charlie Casserly recap USC's Pro Day and he gave him a late 2nd/3rd round grade. Personally, I lean towards the latter.

As for Gronkowski, I love the guy and prefer him to Gresham if everything were equal in regards to health, but I admit freely that it isn't. Advantage Gresham. Furthermore, while I'm still cool to the idea of drafting Gresham in the 1st round for numerous reasons, including value, I won't complain much if he's the pick.

I just heard Charlie Casserly recap USC's Pro Day and he gave him a late 2nd/3rd round grade. Personally, I lean towards the latter.

As for Gronkowski, I love the guy and prefer him to Gresham if everything were equal in regards to health, but I admit freely that it isn't. Advantage Gresham. Furthermore, while I'm still cool to the idea of drafting Gresham in the 1st round for numerous reasons, including value, I won't complain much if he's the pick.

You seem to know USC better than anyone on here, Hair, so I'm wondering if you have any specific thoughts on McCoy. I remember seeing him move around pretty well in the Senior Bowl (though QB's couldn't get him the ball), but I can't shake the image of him dropping pass after pass in the gauntlet at the combine. Were the hands of stone just nerves? How does he block?

You seem to know USC better than anyone on here, Hair...

I doubt it. I'm probably more informed about their program than someone who doesn't live in the area, but I don't call myself a Trojan fan and I don't make a habit of watching all of their games. In fact, the only reason I find myself pimping so many of their players is due to the quality of the program and the staggering number of top players going to the NFL of late. But frankly, even that's changed a little of late.

...so I'm wondering if you have any specific thoughts on McCoy.

Specifically, I think he's less polished than most seem to, and as a result I think he'll take some time before producing. But he's interesting because he does everything at an acceptable if unspectacular level.

As for his performance in the Gauntlet, I'm not making much of it....mostly because USC doesn't bother training it's prospects for combine events. For just a few examples, Frostee Rucker admitted the very first 40 yard dash he had ever run was at his combine and just yesterday Joe McKight admitted he had never run a 3-cone drill before. Furthermore, Taylor Mays was quoted in this mornings LA Times about how in his four years at USC he's never been asked to do the backpedal drills that NFL scouts are so interested in.

Bengals interested in Penn State TE?

Penn State tight end Mickey Shuler Jr. is scheduled to visit the New York Jets, New Orleans Saints and the Cincinnati Bengals, according to a source close to the Nittany Lions' program.

Shuler made a big impression on NFL personnel directors and scouts with a strong Pro Day workout.

His performance would have ranked him in the top three in all categories among the tight ends that attended the NFL scouting combine.

The 6-foot-4, 251-pounder ran the 40-yard dash in 4.62 seconds, which would have ranked him third among the tight ends.

He posted a 37 1/2 inch vertical leap, which would have ranked him third.

His 10-11 broad jump, 6.70 in the three-cone and 11.19 in the 60-yard shuttle would have been the top tight end showing, and his 28 bench press repetitions and 4.25 in the 20-yard shuttle would have ranked him second overall.

Shuler was an All-Academic Big Ten selection who caught 27 career passes for 300 yards and four touchdowns.

His father, Mickey Shuler Sr., played tight end in the NFL for 14 seasons after playing at Penn State. So, the bloodlines are definitely there for the younger Shuler.

one of the best TE prospects to come out in years,Rob Gronkowski is a no-brainer at #21.

HUH? REALLY? WHY? Because you said so? Honestly, you are the first person I have ever heard say something like that......NOT ONCE have I heard anybody say Gronk was one of the best TE prospects to come out in years.

If they take a TE at #21 IT BETTER DAMN WELL BE GRESHAM !!!! He's got very good hands, and is one tough runner. Gresham is a TD Machine. So if you want to settle for mediocrity, then go ahead....I'll take the future Pro Bowler.

I'm not saying Gronkowski won't be decent, I'm saying Gresham will be way better. Gresham's injury was just torn cartilage...Gronkowski injured his back. If you've ever known anybody who's had a back injury, they can act up at anytime, for any reason (even weather) when you play along either side of the line (OL,TE,DT,DE) if your back hurts, you're done...too physical. How the hell will he be expected to block, or even turn around to block someone if he has back pain. The dude had back surgery!!!!

Personally, I'd be a fool to believe that a guy who only played 2 years of college football (only 1 decent season) then missed a whole year after back surgery could come in and contribute ANYTHING his first or second year. Even if his back is fine, he only played 2 years....

I might even pass on Gronkowski in the 2nd Rd as well....maybe.

I think you are way too dismissive of Gronkowski's ability.He's a complete TE with prototype size and elite TE skills. Those kind of guys just don't come around that often.And I suspect his back is not as big of a problem as some are making it out to be.Of course, my suggestion that the Bengals draft him at #21 is based on this suspicion.

If you are saying that Gronkowski is not an exceptional blocker and receiver, I couldn't disagree with you more.

If you are saying that Gronkowski is not an exceptional blocker and receiver, I couldn't disagree with you more.

Gronkowski is Schoebel v2. There, I said it.

Gronkowski is Schoebel v2. There, I said it.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I never heard coaches claining that they had to plan to stop Schoebel like they have about Gronkowski. If they go TE at #21 I hope it is Gronkowski, not Gresham. Complete TE's dont come around very often, and Schoebel was far from a complete TE.