Almost Normal

HairOnFire

Our boy Chad was interviewed today on the Dan Patrick Show and the results were sparkling.

A few highlites....

Patricks show is being shot this week from the sands of Miami beach...prompting guests to arrive by car. Chad shows up in a nondescript black Caddy SUV, and after a few moments opens his door, steps halfway out....and begins yelling at Dan. We should get a beer later. Check out a few ladies. He steps back into the Caddy seemingly unaware that Dan was on the air. Dan then goes to commercial break and as is his habit steps out onto a makeshift basketball court. He and his crew shot hoops during the break. Chad finally approaches the set just as the Dan-ettes are running back to their desks. Dan asks Chad if he'll run a few patterns with the Dan-ettes defending. Chad agrees, then asks "Are we on?" Dan informs Chad he's been on since he pulled up.

Chad greets each of the Dan-ettes before sitting down. Dan makes a few remarks about Chad's appearance. A straw fedora, long necklace, T-shirt, and jeans riding remarkably low. Dan admits it's a look few could carry off.

The Revis baiting begins immediately. Patrick wonders why Chad hasn't changed his name. Chad attempts to deflect in all of the now familiar ways, but Patrick is having none of it....blasting away at every offered excuse. Chad finally shrugs and says..."I had my fingers crossed."

Patrick asks Chad the daily poll question, in this case...If you only had one HOF vote, Jerry Rice or Emmitt Smith? Chad complains about the question but finally picks Rice over Smith, as expected. Patrick then asks Chad a fairly pointed question about declining skills. "Quickness goes first, not speed" says Chad. He goes on to say that after a few years the game becomes all mental. In short, diminished physical skills won't matter at all if a WR can read defenses and determine the right spot to be.

Chad admits he couldn't read any NFL defenses for several years. "I just ran." He now considers himself the best WR in the NFL in regards to reading a defense pre-snap, and went on to say he eventually wants to be remembered as "the Peyton Manning of wide receivers."

Patrick comments on Chad's build and smaller than expected appearance. "Im slim. I admit it. Bt this is my SAM look. That's sexy....and two other words I can't say."

Chad says he calls his hat "The Brad Pitt." He then goes on to admit he's scared to get married.

More Revis baiting.

Patrick calls Chad out on the crossed finger excuse, prompting Chad to throw Bill Clinton under the bus. "I got it from Clinton."

More Revis baiting.

"You got to realize, Revis Island is in Ocho's World. That's how it will always be."

Says Prime Time in his prime would have needed help. "Just like Revis got."

Patrick mentions how Chad stays out of trouble before asking what he'd tell rookies if allowed to speak at the rookie symposium. "Don't try to create a brand before you've done something."

Blah, blah, blah.

I lose interest for awhile before Chad snaps me awake with...."You can't win running the ball in the NFL today. It's all passing now."

Patrick gushes about the way Chad has marketed himself...before suggesting Chad could be the next George Clooney. Chad reacts with indifference before brightening. "Maybe George Clooney.....with fire."

Patrick attempts to send Chad off with a bang by baiting him about his refusal to make a bet or make any over the top statements about wanting to play in a Super Bowl. Chad remains calm and easy. Things are clearly wrapping up.

Patrick asks Chad if he's ready to run a few pass patterns against the Dan-ettes. Chad now refuses, claiming his pants are too tight. Patrick reminds him how his pants are actually so loose they were in danger of falling off. Chad quickly responds with..."It's because I'm huge." Chad gestures towards his lap. "I can't have my pants riding on my waist."

Perfect send off. Cut to commercial.

Bottom Line: The most pleasant Chad interview since his last name was Johnson. Light, breezy, and relaxed. No jittery Chad. No Red Bulled Chad. And for the first time in seemingly forever....consistently funny. Huge props. Rave reviews. No complaints.

Bonus Bottom Line: It was so good his trade value might skyrocket.

Bottom Line: The most pleasant Chad interview since his last name was Johnson. Light, breezy, and relaxed. No jittery Chad. No Red Bulled Chad. And for the first time in seemingly forever....consistently funny. Huge props. Rave reviews. No complaints.

Your admiration is becoming less confused.

Absolutely. I get it now.

Seriously, it all became clear in an instant, right as Chad was explaining to a national viewing audience why declining physical skills won't matter as he ages. The Peyton Manning of wideouts, right? And not only a six time Pro Bowl player, but a current one to boot. Most importantly though, the guy was almost normal for once.

So it hits me like a ton of proverbial bricks. How we could trade a guy who acts like Chad Johnson for twice as much as a team could get when attempting to move a douchebag like Ocho Cinco.

So what do you think? A 1st and a 3rd?

Absolutely. I get it now.

Seriously, it all became clear in an instant, right as Chad was explaining to a national viewing audience why declining physical skills won't matter as he ages. The Peyton Manning of wideouts, right? And not only a six time Pro Bowl player, but a current one to boot. Most importantly though, the guy was almost normal for once.

So it hits me like a ton of proverbial bricks. How we could trade a guy who acts like Chad Johnson for twice as much as a team could get when attempting to move a douchebag like Ocho Cinco.

So what do you think? A 1st and a 3rd?

You know what I think and it starts in the second. Hell, local icon Norman Esiason thinks they should cut him outright.

That said, I just thought I'd take advantage of your weak moment. Chad is Johnson and Ocho, sometimes within the same interview. I think he's pretty much always been that way. It's a testament to just how boring NFL players are that he always ends up being one of the major personalities at this thing every year -- just for being his fool self.

You know what I think and it starts in the second.

For a current Pro Bowl wideout who reads defenses better than any WR in the NFL?

Hell, local icon Norman Esiason thinks they should cut him outright.

It's sorta funny how a dozen years ago I got nothing but s**t for calling Boomer a douchebag. Say the exact same thing today and all you'll hear is the sound of every head in the room nodding in agreement.

That said, Boomer understands one thing very well. That being, a divorce is often the way to go when lovers grow apart.

Chad is Johnson and Ocho, sometimes within the same interview. I think he's pretty much always been that way.

Perhaps, but lately the balance has seemed hopelessly tipped towards The Ocho, and it was refreshing to see Chad tone down his schtick a little. Best, he was actually funny for once.

How long has it been since anyone could say that much?

It's a testament to just how boring NFL players are that he always ends up being one of the major personalities at this thing every year -- just for being his fool self.

Who amongst us doesn't enjoy seeing Mister Bojangles dance?

For a current Pro Bowl wideout who reads defenses better than any WR in the NFL?

Pretty solid outing too, for a 14th alternate or whatever he was. If by "reading defenses" he means knowing exactly which route Revis is going to jump him on for the int., then sure, he seems to be good at that.

Unfortunately, barring something I don't think will happen, we'll be able to continue this trade value debate indefinitely. In a related story, what do you think the contract for TO will be?

Pretty solid outing too, for a 14th alternate or whatever he was. If by "reading defenses" he means knowing exactly which route Revis is going to jump him on for the int., then sure, he seems to be good at that.

Unfortunately, barring something I don't think will happen, we'll be able to continue this trade value debate indefinitely. In a related story, what do you think the contract for TO will be?

Contract value for TO? Well, considering the last time he was available, no one wanted him at all except the Bills...considering he had a good, not great, season with a team that had no other receivers thus he should have gotten great numbers...considering his age...considering his reputation...considering the number of Super Bowl Rings he has...

I'm thinking one season, league minimum for a vet? Maybe get a duo discount if someone can pick up L.T. with him?

Contract value for TO? Well, considering the last time he was available, no one wanted him at all except the Bills...considering he had a good, not great, season with a team that had no other receivers thus he should have gotten great numbers...

Haha yeah, that makes sense. Put a guy on a bad offensive team, pair him with a bad quarterback, and give him no other receiving threats to draw the defense away from him. That's the perfect recipe for big stats!

Wait, how did this become another TO thread? I got sucked right into it...*slaps forehead*

Contract value for TO? Well, considering the last time he was available, no one wanted him at all except the Bills...considering he had a good, not great, season with a team that had no other receivers thus he should have gotten great numbers...

Haha yeah, that makes sense. Put a guy on a bad offensive team, pair him with a bad quarterback, and give him no other receiving threats to draw the defense away from him. That's the perfect recipe for big stats!

Not to continue on the TO bandwagon (as it may seem to some), but the guy averaged over 15 ypc on one of the worst offenses, top to bottom, in the entire NFL last season. He's also scored 30 TDs in his last 47 NFL games. People who think he wouldn't help the Bengals offense, in particular one of the league's worst passing games, are obviously misjudging his talent. I could care less what Chris Mortensen, John Clayton and Jamie Dukes think about the guy as a person because he's one of the greatest playmakers of all time, even at his advanced age.

If the WR position isn't upgraded, 2010 will simply be a repeat of 2009. Folks, the cupboard at WR is as bare as it's been in the Marvin era, and hopefully the front office realizes that.

Not to continue on the TO bandwagon (as it may seem to some), but the guy averaged over 15 ypc on one of the worst offenses, top to bottom, in the entire NFL last season. He's also scored 30 TDs in his last 47 NFL games. People who think he wouldn't help the Bengals offense, in particular one of the league's worst passing games, are obviously misjudging his talent. I could care less what Chris Mortensen, John Clayton and Jamie Dukes think about the guy as a person because he's one of the greatest playmakers of all time, even at his advanced age.

If the WR position isn't upgraded, 2010 will simply be a repeat of 2009. Folks, the cupboard at WR is as bare as it's been in the Marvin era, and hopefully the front office realizes that.

You and Skyline want to get your heads together on the whole stats thing. Skyline says he shouldn't have big stats because the whole offense sucked. I said if he was truly as great as everyone said and he was the only weapon they truly had, he should have more than 55 catches and 880 yards with 5 tds. You come in with the counterstat that TO averaged 15.1 ypc. So who is TO really?

Oh yeah, he's that 36 year old guy that cries when people attack his quarterback, except when he's doing it, which is somewhere around the second or third season in between sit-ups in his driveway. And you guys want to put him on this team with his clown protege?

Hey, I don't care. I didn't care when they wanted to sign Vick, I didn't care when they wanted to sign LJ. Why not add or try to add yet another misfit toy on this island?

Hey, I don't care. I didn't care when they wanted to sign Vick, I didn't care when they wanted to sign LJ. Why not add or try to add yet another misfit toy on this island?

Don't you think you're overreacting a little bit? Can you honestly guarantee that this team would be worse next year with TO than it was this year with Coles?

There were those here that thought the signing of LJ would ruin team chemistry. It didn't. So what's the harm in a one-year deal, where he knows up front that if he starts trouble he'll be cut? Especially knowing that most teams don't want his services.

I know I'd feel better going into next year with TO than Coles and Caldwell. Unless they have a chance to get some other FA WR that can contribute, I don't think this is a bad idea. The chances of getting a WR in the draft that can come in and play at a high level are minuscule.

I think it's worth a shot.

You and Skyline want to get your heads together on the whole stats thing. Skyline says he shouldn't have big stats because the whole offense sucked. I said if he was truly as great as everyone said and he was the only weapon they truly had, he should have more than 55 catches and 880 yards with 5 tds. You come in with the counterstat that TO averaged 15.1 ypc. So who is TO really?

Oh yeah, he's that 36 year old guy that cries when people attack his quarterback, except when he's doing it, which is somewhere around the second or third season in between sit-ups in his driveway. And you guys want to put him on this team with his clown protege?

This guy just wants to win and make plays. He certainly loves him some him, or whatever it is, but it's disheartening that people still mention things he did when he was in Philly five years ago. His teammates have NEVER called him a bad teammate, which is really all that matters at the end of the day. He plays hard, plays hurt, blocks, goes over the middle and isn't afraid to let his teammates know when to step it up. The media has such an impact of how we view athletes, based on the media's perception of the individual athlete, that many only think of TO as a reality show guy, who overdoes TD celebrations and regularly critcizes his coaches and fellow players.

Really, how is TO all that different than Chad? If you remove yourself from being a Bengals fan temporarily and look at their individual careers and what has transpired, you will find that they are pretty similar in nearly every aspect of their careers, both on and off the field. It's difficult to understand why some people wouldn't want to add a sure-fire HOF WR to the mix, who is still playing well. What excites me is that TO and Chad actually WANT to play together. I like Coles, but he will never be in the class of a TO, on the field. It's not even close, really.

Statistically speaking, I like to look at it as TO's '09 season was similar to Chad's 08. Preseason injuries, some off the field issues prior to the season, a new scheme, and Ryan Fitzpatrick the starting QB for most of the year. Let's look at the numbers when both players had Fitz throwing the ball to them, which is the main common ground here:

TO (2009) - 55 catches, 829 yards, 5 TDs, 15.1 ypc, 5 plays of 40+ yards

Chad (2008) - 53 catches, 540 yards, 4 TDs, 10.2 ypc, 0 plays of 40+ yards

As I mentioned in a previous post, you have to remember that the Bills had one of the worst offensive lines in recent history in '09, with three rookies starting, but the thing that jumps out to me is that TO still was able to get huge chunks of yardage, especially under Perry Fewell.

We don't need TO to come in and be TO from any of his previous stops before last season, but if he can put up around 60-70 catches, 900-1000 yards and about 8 TDs, while being a respectable deep threat, the offense would open up dramatically and more importantly, lessen the need for a pass-catching TE.