Turn your head and cough, man.

HairOnFire

From Lance, secret chimp.....

*Placed rookie TE Chase Coffman on the Reserve/Injured list, due to bone spurs in his left ankle. Coffman was a third-round Bengals selection in the 2009 draft. He has been on the inactive list for the first 12 regular season games.

/>http://www.wcky.com/...lancesBlog.html

This disturbs me that he could not get on the field this year, with how bad Coats has looked. Anything short of amputation he should have been able to beat out Coats, I'm starting to put him in the same boat as Jerome Simpson just a horrible pick on our part. How much the Bengals try they can never defend picking Jerome Simpson over Desean Jackson.

From Lance, secret chimp.....

*Placed rookie TE Chase Coffman on the Reserve/Injured list, due to bone spurs in his left ankle. Coffman was a third-round Bengals selection in the 2009 draft. He has been on the inactive list for the first 12 regular season games.

/>http://www.wcky.com/...lancesBlog.html

This disturbs me that he could not get on the field this year, with how bad Coats has looked. Anything short of amputation he should have been able to beat out Coats, I'm starting to put him in the same boat as Jerome Simpson just a horrible pick on our part. How much the Bengals try they can never defend picking Jerome Simpson over Desean Jackson.

Really?

I guess Carson was a bad pick as well. He didnt play his first year. Just couldnt grasp the NFL I guess.

Limus Sweed was the other option at WR. We were trying to replace Henry. Desean Jackson isnt in the same mold.

I guess we missed on Tom Brady as well. Hindsight is 20/20. Coffman will get it. If he is being IR'd due to bone spurs..then maybe he has been having an issue with it for a while. They dont form overnight. JP has done fine at TE anyway. You dont want to rely on a rookie in such an important position.

Jerome Simpson may not be working out, maybe a miss but calling it a bad pick is a little off. We hit on Caldwell right? You cant get every pick right. At least we didnt take Sweed. Simpson hasn't dropped any crucial passes. Sweed has.

I dont think Desean jackson was a possibility here.

At any rate. Sad to see Coffman on IR. At least we can stop asking for him to come in. Foschi is our guy.

This disturbs me that he could not get on the field this year, with how bad Coats has looked.

My take? They're cleaning up the bottom of the roster....shelving a guy who can't and won't help them this year under almost any circumstance. And while it may someday be proven Coffman can't play a lick in the NFL...all I'm seeing this morning is another example of a player who can't earn playing time because they can't help at all on special teams.

I'm starting to put him in the same boat as Jerome Simpson just a horrible pick on our part.

I'm giving both players a pass until they're actually given enough of an opportunity to prove they can't play. (Think Chris Perry.)

This disturbs me that he could not get on the field this year, with how bad Coats has looked.

My take? They're cleaning up the bottom of the roster....shelving a guy who can't and won't help them this year under almost any circumstance. And while it may someday be proven Coffman can't play a lick in the NFL...all I'm seeing this morning is another example of a player who can't earn playing time because they can't help at all on special teams.

I'm starting to put him in the same boat as Jerome Simpson just a horrible pick on our part.

I'm giving both players a pass until they're actually given enough of an opportunity to prove they can't play. (Think Chris Perry.)

to put a guy who was drafted with a broken foot and come to find out he has bone spurs in the same category as jerome simpson is just dumb.

Really?

I guess Carson was a bad pick as well. He didnt play his first year. Just couldnt grasp the NFL I guess.

Limus Sweed was the other option at WR. We were trying to replace Henry. Desean Jackson isnt in the same mold.

I guess we missed on Tom Brady as well. Hindsight is 20/20. Coffman will get it. If he is being IR'd due to bone spurs..then maybe he has been having an issue with it for a while. They dont form overnight. JP has done fine at TE anyway. You dont want to rely on a rookie in such an important position.

Jerome Simpson may not be working out, maybe a miss but calling it a bad pick is a little off. We hit on Caldwell right? You cant get every pick right. At least we didnt take Sweed. Simpson hasn't dropped any crucial passes. Sweed has.

I dont think Desean jackson was a possibility here.

At any rate. Sad to see Coffman on IR. At least we can stop asking for him to come in. Foschi is our guy.

At this point. Sweed has hurt the Steelers more than Simpson has hurt the Bengals. I bet Steeler fans would rather seen someone else catch those passes he dropped.

Bad pick? Maybe.

We already talked about Simpson awhile back. This past years draft is close to the best in Bengals history. We can focus on one prospect pick or focus on those that have done well.

No team hits on every single pick. And if you show me your posts two years ago clamoring for D Jackson then you have a point, but at this point you cant say who we should have taken now that they have played in the NFL. Could have never known then what we know now.

Other WR in history that have had great careers havent come from big schools so the school doesnt really matter to me.

Coffman will produce as a Bengal. IMO. Not all draft picks produce their first year.

Coats is still a good blocker and still has value on this team according to the coaches. Ill take their word for it.

Im not ready to say either is a bust. SImpson much closer to a bust than Coffman.

Didn't see him helping until next year...but Jesus I wish they would have just cut coats >_<

PS,Gonna hate listening to fans for next year talking about coffman as a bust ala Jerome.

Stuff like this :|

Coffman was drafted with 2 Solid Vet TE's in front of him he was meant to be a project and not play this year...

Bengals want Tight Ends to block & Coffman was pretty much a WR in college...Pretty simple imo

You guys are right about Chase, but I won't back down about Jerome Simpson what were we smoking.

I know a guy who knows things and he says they were smoking the Jackie O when selecting Jerome. However, as the draft drug on Mike Brown got a little paranoid, as he tends to do when baked, and wisely demanded a switch to the Purple Bubba before selcting Caldwell. For Urrutia that were said to be working the Matanuska, it's Lippincott's favorite strain, despite it's odd cat urine like smell.

As for Coffman, I've heard it was Trainwreck, but others claim it was just a case of Bratkowski being drunk again. On beer, no less.

How much the Bengals try they can never defend picking Jerome Simpson over Desean Jackson.

'never' is a big word - he certainly looks much closer to a bust than a legit project, but next year, we will either need to draft a WR or have him step up, so imho the timing is right

On the other hand, it is important to note that most folks rated Limas Sweed as the best available receiver at the time of the Simpson pick, not Desean Jackson, tho he was a close second. So would you rather have Sweed at this point? Obviously, although Sweed has made it onto the field, but beyond that, not much else

How much the Bengals try they can never defend picking Jerome Simpson over Desean Jackson.

Ask the Steelers or the 31 other teams who passed on him...My guess was Deseans size worried people

Not sure if Desean would fare any worse in the AFCN as compared to the NFCE.

I do not mind the Simpson pick, and thought he would see some time with Henry's snapped wrist.

When they activated Mo Purify from the PS, that really meant Simpson was far less ready than any of us could have predicted. Sad, as he is a very talented athlete, just maybe not the brightest bulb on the tree (x-mas themed cliche, you're welcome...)

To me, I think that the 08 and 09 drafts were among the strongest yet, despite the Chase and Simpson gambles.

Ask the Steelers or the 31 other teams who passed on him...My guess was Deseans size worried people

Not sure if Desean would fare any worse in the AFCN as compared to the NFCE.

I do not mind the Simpson pick, and thought he would see some time with Henry's snapped wrist.

When they activated Mo Purify from the PS, that really meant Simpson was far less ready than any of us could have predicted. Sad, as he is a very talented athlete, just maybe not the brightest bulb on the tree (x-mas themed cliche, you're welcome...)

To me, I think that the 08 and 09 drafts were among the strongest yet, despite the Chase and Simpson gambles.

I think it was more of a playoff move. If they weren't doing so well this year I think they would've brought Simpson up to see what we have in him. Since we're a playoff team right now, they brought up Purify to sure up the special teams unit and he's definitely made a difference. The fourth receiver isn't seeing much playing time this year so it's not like Jerome would be getting a whole lot of snaps anyway.

Notes: Coffman struggled with injury all season

By Scott Priestle, CNATI.com Posted December 10, 2009 1:04 PM ET

Bengals rookie Chase Coffman said he has not felt healthy on a football field since the middle of last season, his senior year at Missouri. It is not unusual for a player at that level to be in frequent pain, but Coffman's injuries were particularly troubling.

He played through turf toe and a broken bone on his left foot last season, and compensating for those injuries helped cause bone spurs in his right ankle this season, which in turn limited his flexibility getting into and out of a three-point stance. Which, in turn, made it difficult for Coffman to make progress as an in-line blocker, which was the primary hole in his game.

His disappointing rookie season came to a merciful end Wednesday, when the Bengals placed Coffman on injured reserve. He expects to undergo surgery next week to clean out the right ankle, and he should be healthy enough to participate in all official off-season activities.

"I knew it would have to be done eventually," Coffman said. "They decided I wasn't going to play the rest of this season, so it's good to get it done with and get me ready to do stuff for next season."

Coffman said the bone spurs are "somewhat related" to the toe and foot injuries. Regardless of how they developed, they have affected him throughout this season, and the result was clear: He looked stiff and unathletic, particularly when he lined up with his hand on the ground.

It made the typical rookie learning curve even steeper. At Missouri, Coffman rarely was asked to line up in a three-point stance and block at the point of attack, both of which are important duties of a tight end in the Bengals offense.

"I just can't get my foot on the ground and keep my balance and get power," Coffman said.

He said the spurs don't hurt, but cleaning them out "will help me in the long run with blocking and running and stuff." He saw a doctor Thursday morning and was told he should be up to speed in about two months, which would give him a chance to make the impact in his second season that he could not make this season.

When healthy, Coffman is considered an excellent receiver for a tight end, which would make him a good complement to current tight ends J.P. Foschi and Daniel Coats, who are better as blockers.

"You always want to play and help out the team, but I've learned a lot while I was here," he said. "It was something that will help me in the long run.

"I feel like I've made a lot of progress. The tight end position here compared to at Missouri, it's totally different. I feel like I've come a long way, and I'm going to keep improving on that."