memo to Mike Brown-draft Mardy Gilyard

icehole3

Seriously, a draft thread?

In December?

What troubles me most, as a Bengal fan, is how I can't figure out if this thread is two months early or two months late.

Early, I think.

Force of habit. Bengal fans aren't used to only having 2 months of draft talk. We're accustomed to 6 months of debate or more. I'm starting to feel very unprepared for the offseason... because I haven't spent my usual hour/day watching YouTube videos of draft prospects. Damn this 9-3 season!

I saw a mock draft...I think it was the Sporting News a few weeks ago...that had Gilyard going about #8 overall.

Wow. Ok. I'll shut up then. I didn't think he was rated that high.

It's amazing what Deshaun Jackson and Percy Harvin have done for draft strategy. Guys like this would never have been thought of in the 1st round because they aren't 6'5" 220lbs.

I don't think you draft Gilyard in the upper part of the first round. He absolutely does remind me of DeSean Jackson, and maybe he'll be there late in the 1st when the Bengals' pick.

Bengal fans aren't used to only having 2 months of draft talk. We're accustomed to 6 months of debate or more. I'm starting to feel very unprepared for the offseason... because I haven't spent my usual hour/day watching YouTube videos of draft prospects.

True, but catching up is as easy as saying..."Hello, I'm a Bastard Son of Paul Brown. Please draft another WR."

As for the debate we all crave, we're Bengal fans and our birthright dictates we can spend months debating if drafting just one WR will be enough.

I saw a mock draft...I think it was the Sporting News a few weeks ago...that had Gilyard going about #8 overall.

Wow. Ok. I'll shut up then. I didn't think he was rated that high.

It's amazing what Deshaun Jackson and Percy Harvin have done for draft strategy. Guys like this would never have been thought of in the 1st round because they aren't 6'5" 220lbs.

I don't think you draft Gilyard in the upper part of the first round. He absolutely does remind me of DeSean Jackson, and maybe he'll be there late in the 1st when the Bengals' pick.

I think he may be gone if we draft outside the top 20 (barring total collapse, would be a certainty).

I like Gilyard though I do not think we need another WR that high, we need another DE pending Odom's rehab, or another S. Getting a guy like Chad Jones...or Selvie, would be just fine.

Bengal fans aren't used to only having 2 months of draft talk. We're accustomed to 6 months of debate or more. I'm starting to feel very unprepared for the offseason... because I haven't spent my usual hour/day watching YouTube videos of draft prospects.

True, but catching up is as easy as saying..."Hello, I'm a Bastard Son of Paul Brown. Please draft another WR."

As for the debate we all crave, we're Bengal fans and our birthright dictates we can spend months debating if drafting just one WR will be enough.

Preach it Hair. I want a DT or LB with the #1. And I want that pick to be with the 32nd overall pick of the draft, ensuring that I won't spend any real time thinking about it for another 2 months.

There's a nice draft thread going on in the other forum I would like to invite people to, but put me in the camp of not wanting another WR until later. I think it may be a need, but certainly not in the first few rounds. I think Safety, DT, OLB, and Guard (not in any particular order) should be priorities. Then again, maybe the coaches feel we have something already as they did with Cook last year that pushes something further down the priority list. Anyway, you could throw TE in the mix as well depending on what happens with some of the scrubs we have on the roster at this point.

There's a nice draft thread going on in the other forum I would like to invite people to, but put me in the camp of not wanting another WR until later. I think it may be a need, but certainly not in the first few rounds. I think Safety, DT, OLB, and Guard (not in any particular order) should be priorities. Then again, maybe the coaches feel we have something already as they did with Cook last year that pushes something further down the priority list. Anyway, you could throw TE in the mix as well depending on what happens with some of the scrubs we have on the roster at this point.

If they can get Williams back, I don't see a need at safety. TE may also end up not being a need with Reggie, Chase, and JP back next year.

I think they should look at eventual replacements for Chad, Bobbie, and Dhani in next year's draft. There really aren't any glaring needs which is something we haven't been able to say for a LONG time.

Roy Williams was here on a one year deal and who knows how he comes back, but even if he were to return, the thought was still there that safety is a need for this team. I like Crocker and Ndukwe is good depth, but I'm not satified with more than that. TE is certainly a wait and see thing and as long as Coats doesn't come back, I'm good. Rey is Dhani's replacement and we still have Jeanty for the outside spot, but yeah, a pick there wouldn't hurt my feelings at all. If Cook resigns (which I think he will) I wonder if they try to get Luigs some playing time at the Guard spot. I mean certainly it couldn't hurt to get him schooled up at this point and provide further depth.

We have Dhani's replacement. LB in the middle rnds for depth would be great.

Ok, if we move Rey to the middle next year, who plays the strong-side? Brandon Johnson is good, but I see him as more of a weak-side backer than strong-side.

Ok, if we move Rey to the middle next year, who plays the strong-side? Brandon Johnson is good, but I see him as more of a weak-side backer than strong-side.

I wish Johnson could pick up that spot because I love seeing that guy on the field. To answer your question though, Jeanty could man that spot for another year if they were to choose to wait in drafting another OLB. I'm not saying he's the best option, but I wouldn't say he was a poor option either. I wouldn't mind seeing them draft a speed guy for the OLB spot that can put some pressure on opposing QB's, but like I said, it depends on what the team thinks it already has.

After thinking there was no way we could get through this season without a 1st or 2nd round Center, only to see Cook come on all beast-like, I won't be questioning that as much as I once did.

Jeanty is pretty stout against the run, but from what I remember he's a liability in pass coverage. Still, I guess it's not the worst option. Hopefully Dhani can remain effective next year and we can keep the linebackers the way we have them. I still think they should draft a solid strong-side backer next year.

Jeanty is pretty stout against the run, but from what I remember he's a liability in pass coverage. Still, I guess it's not the worst option. Hopefully Dhani can remain effective next year and we can keep the linebackers the way we have them. I still think they should draft a solid strong-side backer next year.

I agree with everything you just said... :sure:

I wish Johnson could pick up that spot because I love seeing that guy on the field. To answer your question though, Jeanty could man that spot for another year if they were to choose to wait in drafting another OLB. I'm not saying he's the best option, but I wouldn't say he was a poor option either. I wouldn't mind seeing them draft a speed guy for the OLB spot that can put some pressure on opposing QB's, but like I said, it depends on what the team thinks it already has.

After thinking there was no way we could get through this season without a 1st or 2nd round Center, only to see Cook come on all beast-like, I won't be questioning that as much as I once did.

Jeanty is a free agent after this season. And honestly, I'd rather have Jones stay in the middle than have Jeanty as a starter. He's too injury prone and unreliable to be counted on for more than depth.

I've heard that Kirk Morrison is quietly playing out his contract and wanting out of Oakland. I doubt there's much chance of it... but how great would it be to sign him? Rivers, Morrison, and Rey? Draft a DT in the first, and you'd be talking a seriously dominant defense.

Jeanty is a free agent after this season. And honestly, I'd rather have Jones stay in the middle than have Jeanty as a starter. He's too injury prone and unreliable to be counted on for more than depth.

I've heard that Kirk Morrison is quietly playing out his contract and wanting out of Oakland. I doubt there's much chance of it... but how great would it be to sign him? Rivers, Morrison, and Rey? Draft a DT in the first, and you'd be talking a seriously dominant defense.

I would love to get Morrison.

Yeah... me too. But I admit it's just a dream with no real basis in reality.

The question for me is to see if one good season is enough to draw free agents like Morrison without having to back up the Brinks truck. It would also be somewhat nice to sign a player to more than a 1-year deal because it's a guy looking for a second chance.

We'll see I guess, but I'm still doubting the Bengals ability to bring in top tier free agents. Both because of the stigma of Brown being cheap, and because it never seems to be part of the Bengals strategy to pay big dollars to players they didn't draft.

P.S. Don't hear me saying I wish they'd be more like the Redskins. As a rule, I don't think free agency is a smart way to build. That said, this coming offseason could be one where the Bengals are one or two players away from an elite Super Bowl contender... and under that scenario, I'm all for taking the free agent plunge.

Yeah... me too. But I admit it's just a dream with no real basis in reality.

The question for me is to see if one good season is enough to draw free agents like Morrison without having to back up the Brinks truck. It would also be somewhat nice to sign a player to more than a 1-year deal because it's a guy looking for a second chance.

We'll see I guess, but I'm still doubting the Bengals ability to bring in top tier free agents. Both because of the stigma of Brown being cheap, and because it never seems to be part of the Bengals strategy to pay big dollars to players they didn't draft.

P.S. Don't hear me saying I wish they'd be more like the Redskins. As a rule, I don't think free agency is a smart way to build. That said, this coming offseason could be one where the Bengals are one or two players away from an elite Super Bowl contender... and under that scenario, I'm all for taking the free agent plunge.

I think they've evolved a bit here, paying decent money for good to excellent players. Where the player rank on FA lists, or where they were when we signed them is kind of immaterial.

Over the past couple of years, they brought in Coles, Crocker, Tank, Roy, Utecht, Dhani, Benson. They all got paid decent coin, so the argument that they can't attract, or bring in FA's is a busted myth. That the perception of the team has changed as a place players want to play for as it gives them a chance to get to the SB has surely changed, as LJ mentioned this as a reason he came here.

Now, some of these players might not have had many options and were on the street but the level of play this season will be the reason this shift becomes permanent.

And speaking of 2nd chance guys who may not require a Brinks truck be rented?

Isn't Matt Roth a free agent when this season ends?

According to Rotoworld, yes.

Well, okay then.

The line forms behind me.

He played really well against us a couple weeks ago and he had just been signed two or three days before that. I think he'd be a good pick up.

And speaking of 2nd chance guys who may not require a Brinks truck be rented?

Isn't Matt Roth a free agent when this season ends?

According to Rotoworld, yes.

Well, okay then.

The line forms behind me.

He played really well against us a couple weeks ago and he had just been signed two or three days before that. I think he'd be a good pick up.

He still looks like the same solid player he was in college. Best, his resume fits rather neatly within the scrap thing currently going on. And maybe it's scrap that isn't too expensive as Roth's NFL production, and health, have been mostly hit or miss.

I love Gillyard!

In looking at where guys are rated at , at this point way before the draft, Gillyard is rated as a bottom first round-early 2nd round pick.

In looking at team needs he fills alot of needs.

He is one of the better Kick, punt returners in the nation.

He is a great WR.

He provides speed that the Bengals offense is lacking.

There is a chance that when we pick in the 1st there will be some nice talent to choose from.

Currntly guys like,DE Jerry Hughes,DE Brandon Graham,WR Brandon LeFell,RB/KR/PR/WRC.J. Spiller,WR Demaryius Thomas,G Mike Iupati,DT Jared Oderick to name a few are rated at the bottom of the 1st round so we should get somebody good.