Zimmer finds refuge on defense

derekshank

It's sad to think about how hard it must be for him.

http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2009/nov/13/bc-fbn-nflcol-adv14mw-_-sports-1100-words/?sports&cowboys-texans

MILWAUKEE — One of the most surprising teams this season has been the Cincinnati Bengals, who are tied for the NFC North lead with the Pittsburgh Steelers at 6-2.

The Bengals' success has been even more amazing considering the immense personal pain defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer has worked through.

His wife, Vikki, died suddenly Oct. 8 from natural causes at age 50. The couple had been married 27 years.

This week, Zimmer opened up to reporters for the first time since his wife's death.

"The wins are not nearly as good now," Zimmer said Monday. "We beat Chicago (two weeks ago), played pretty good on defense that game. I go home and it was actually a hard day because I go home and I'm there.

"Like yesterday we beat Baltimore (17-7). Everyone's excited and I'm excited, but it's not the same excitement. I'm more concerned about how (son) Adam is doing and the girls (Marki and Corri) are doing. I'm happy that we won, just not as ecstatic. Those are the things that I notice."

Zimmer, who has long been respected around the league for his tenacity and work ethic, still prepares for each game the same way. But he finds himself "doing a little less football stuff and more dad stuff."

Those texts from his kids? They no longer wait until the end of the day. That ride to and from work? Maybe he doesn't drive quite as fast for safety's sake.

During the Bengals' bye week, Zimmer visited his kids. Adam helps coach the linebackers for the New Orleans Saints. His daughters live in Dallas.

After three tough weeks of work after his wife's death, it's what Zimmer needed.

"It helped me realize that I have to help my family more than what I am," Zimmer said. "I went to Dallas and saw my two daughters and realized that I have to help them more than what I did. Then we went to New Orleans and saw Adam and realized it's tough on him, maybe more so than I anticipated it would.

"He used to call Vikki every night on his way home from work. The girls, I'll call them and the one is just crying like crazy on the phone and I'll ask what's wrong, and she'll say, 'I'm sad.' Those things kind of helped me realize I got to do better with them."

The players have tried to be there for him inside the Bengals offices. Zimmer has gotten quite a few visitors in the past few weeks. They mostly just want to make sure he's doing OK.

But for the most part, Zimmer has been the same. He still gets on the players because he thinks they can be better.

"He's still doing his thing," said defensive tackle Domata Peko. "When you see him, he's happy with how good we're playing, but he also motivates you. If you're doing something wrong he's not going to be afraid to tell you straight up from the oldest guy to the youngest."

Since losing to the Houston Texans on Oct. 18 — which came the same week as Vikki Zimmer's funeral — Zimmer's defense has been at its best.

The Bengals beat the Bears and the Baltimore Ravens by a combined 62-17. The Bengals held Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco to 76 yards passing and running back Ray Rice to 50 yards, in the first three quarters.

"He's doing a good job breaking down teams," Peko said. "He's tough on us during the week so we don't have to think about it twice during the game. We can just play ball."

For Zimmer, that's his oasis in a time of great pain.

It's sad to think about how hard it must be for him.

http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2009/nov/13/bc-fbn-nflcol-adv14mw-_-sports-1100-words/?sports&cowboys-texans

MILWAUKEE — One of the most surprising teams this season has been the Cincinnati Bengals, who are tied for the NFC North lead with the Pittsburgh Steelers at 6-2.

The Bengals' success has been even more amazing considering the immense personal pain defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer has worked through.

His wife, Vikki, died suddenly Oct. 8 from natural causes at age 50. The couple had been married 27 years.

This week, Zimmer opened up to reporters for the first time since his wife's death.

"The wins are not nearly as good now," Zimmer said Monday. "We beat Chicago (two weeks ago), played pretty good on defense that game. I go home and it was actually a hard day because I go home and I'm there.

"Like yesterday we beat Baltimore (17-7). Everyone's excited and I'm excited, but it's not the same excitement. I'm more concerned about how (son) Adam is doing and the girls (Marki and Corri) are doing. I'm happy that we won, just not as ecstatic. Those are the things that I notice."

Zimmer, who has long been respected around the league for his tenacity and work ethic, still prepares for each game the same way. But he finds himself "doing a little less football stuff and more dad stuff."

Those texts from his kids? They no longer wait until the end of the day. That ride to and from work? Maybe he doesn't drive quite as fast for safety's sake.

During the Bengals' bye week, Zimmer visited his kids. Adam helps coach the linebackers for the New Orleans Saints. His daughters live in Dallas.

After three tough weeks of work after his wife's death, it's what Zimmer needed.

"It helped me realize that I have to help my family more than what I am," Zimmer said. "I went to Dallas and saw my two daughters and realized that I have to help them more than what I did. Then we went to New Orleans and saw Adam and realized it's tough on him, maybe more so than I anticipated it would.

"He used to call Vikki every night on his way home from work. The girls, I'll call them and the one is just crying like crazy on the phone and I'll ask what's wrong, and she'll say, 'I'm sad.' Those things kind of helped me realize I got to do better with them."

The players have tried to be there for him inside the Bengals offices. Zimmer has gotten quite a few visitors in the past few weeks. They mostly just want to make sure he's doing OK.

But for the most part, Zimmer has been the same. He still gets on the players because he thinks they can be better.

"He's still doing his thing," said defensive tackle Domata Peko. "When you see him, he's happy with how good we're playing, but he also motivates you. If you're doing something wrong he's not going to be afraid to tell you straight up from the oldest guy to the youngest."

Since losing to the Houston Texans on Oct. 18 — which came the same week as Vikki Zimmer's funeral — Zimmer's defense has been at its best.

The Bengals beat the Bears and the Baltimore Ravens by a combined 62-17. The Bengals held Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco to 76 yards passing and running back Ray Rice to 50 yards, in the first three quarters.

"He's doing a good job breaking down teams," Peko said. "He's tough on us during the week so we don't have to think about it twice during the game. We can just play ball."

For Zimmer, that's his oasis in a time of great pain.

It must be very hard for him to do his job knowing that his kids and himself are still hurting this bad. With that said i think its amazing how the players on this rally around him, and i think in many ways they bring him up and make him smile. I just hope for the rest of the year they play angry for Zimmer, and make him proud of them. So far after that horrible Houston game they have played great, so lets see if this will continue this week or not!