Trading Dillon?

JayB3541

I think getting Corey out of Cincy would be good for the overall morale of the team. I know he's a great runner, when he wants to be, but complaining about wanting to get out after a couple of wins.....come on! I think we should trade him off to a team that isn't doing well.......hmmm let's see...the Cardinals, since Emmitt will be done this year....and getting another high draft pick this year. That way, we can look into getting a great runningback in the draft, maybe Anthony Davis (Wisc.), Shaud Williams (Ala.), Tatum Bell (Ok St.), or Chris Perry (Mich.). Then we could work on the Offensive line with the rest of the picks.

A move like that would show that Marvin Lewis will not tolerate bad mouthing the team. I know the reprecussions could be bad this year, but look at the squad we would be building. :o

Setting whether or not trading CD is a good idea aside for the moment, I don't see any team giving up a first-round pick (or, for that matter, a first-day pick) for a high-salary, 30-year-old RB who has missed (so far) the better part of half a season to injury...and who has a rep as an attitude problem to boot.

Dillon and the Bengals are kind of stuck with each other until the end of the year. As for next year, I think he sealed his fate with his outburst. The only questin that remains is will he come back enough in order for us to get something decent for him.

If he comes back strong for the rest of the seaon it will make it easier and less painful to deal him. If not, somebody will still be willing to take a chance on him. We just won't get a lot out of it. Still a shame though. He's a great back, and I would have like to see it end differently for him and us.

I must admit, I continue to be mystified by those who see Dillon's release/trade after this season as a foregone conclusion. Even if he struggles with injuries all year, I don't see his departure as a sure thing. I certainly don't think that his "I want out" comments will have much, if any, any bearing on the decision. Yes, yes, I know the spin: Marvin doesn't want anyone here who doesn't want to be here; see Spikes, Takeo. To which I say: bullfeathers. Lewis let Takeo walk because he had Simmons to plug in the hole and letting Spikes go gave him $5 million more to spend on FAs -- and this team needed a lot of help (and still does). Lest we forget, Armegis Spearman said he wanted out, too, loudly and often, after GB signed him to an offer sheet. Marvin matched that one, didn't he? There's no financial pressure to let Dillon go, we don't have a proven replacement (and we'll likely be starting a rookie QB next year), and his attitude doesn't appear to be having any effect on the rest of the club.

Mark it down: barring a career-ending injury, Dillon will be a Bengal opening day 2004.

Marvin is trying to keep Dillion"s fat mouth shut and sticking up or should I say"saying all the right things" about him to possibly get something out of him. He cares nothing about the team and only his stats matter to him. Marvin will soon ship his crying butt off and the rest of the TEAM will thank him for it. PS Marvin-Please for the love of GOD cut Hawkins(even UC fans think he is bad and they are a terrible judge of talent)!

I think Dillon will be a Bengal next year as well. I've gone on record saying that I want him to retire a Bengal so maybe I'm a bit biased. But I think the key thing is economics. The Bengals are going to be pretty tight next year under the salery cap, and you don't want to take an accelerated hit byt cutting your millionaire running back. The Bengals really need to spend some dosh (NZ term for money) on the o-line, and probably a DB for defense, or linebacker so the extra millions the cutting or trading dillon that become dead space under the cap just ain't worth it. His trading value is substantially lower now. Coming off of an injury year no team would be willing to invest anything over a third round pick for CD and I think that's being generous cause next years draft class should be fairly deep at running back. Besides, if he's healthy(and he should be) and the o-line get's improved(it had better) then Corey get's his 1500 yards because Marvin Lewis wants to use a ball control offense, especially if Carson Palmer starts(he should). That's what I think anyways, but I don't think any NFL teams will be ringing me up for a GM position...Though I think I could have done a better job than Mr Brown in the Pre-Lewis ere. :D

cheers

kevnz - Your point about the salary cap hit is well taken. A similar point of view was stated on Bengals.com that saving the money by keeping Dillon would provide the Bengasl with money they would need to sign a quality FA next year. One of those available is going to be Champ Bailey. Don't know if you're familiar with him or not, but he is with the Washington Redskins ( Marvin Lewis' old team ). Coach Lewis has shown a tendency to grab players he is familiar with from his former teams, and Bailey would be a big addition.

Given those conditions, I'd like to see Dillon back with the team next year. Truth be told, I'd like to see him back anyway. I'm just not as convinced a you and Joisey Cat that Dillon will make it possible for Lewis to keep him.

One of those available is going to be Champ Bailey. Don't know if you're familiar with him or not, but he is with the Washington Redskins ( Marvin Lewis' old team ).

I was screaming for Champ Bailey back in 1999. But we all know how *that* draft turned out. I hate hate hate hate Mike Brown.

I would love to see Bailey in stripes but if the 'Skins let him loose I guarantee some team is going to make him the highest-paid CB in the history of football, and I doubt it'll be us.

I was screaming for Champ Bailey back in 1999. But we all know how *that* draft turned out. I hate hate hate hate Mike Brown.

I would love to see Bailey in stripes but if the 'Skins let him loose I guarantee some team is going to make him the highest-paid CB in the history of football, and I doubt it'll be us.

There is a site dedicated to the feelings you've expressed for Mike Brown. Just kidding, I'm sure you've already seen or heard of it. Some of those guys do know football when they decide to talk about it. It's usually just trash talking about MB and each other and then it sort of goes downhill from there.

I like to play draft anylist every year too. In '99, I remember that I had us taking Bailey in round 1 and Griese in round 2. I absolutely disagree with the people who say you have to take a qb, rb, or wide receiver with the #1 pick. My point would be if the Texans get the #1 pick next year, they are already pretty well set at all 3 of the spots I mentioned. Best thing to do is trade it. If they can't .... like we weren't able too ???? Same could apply to us giving CD 1 more good year, and drafting his replacemant the year after. Simply put, if you get the #1 pick then you should fill your #1 need with the best player available at that position.

Back to Bailey. If Lewis seems to have an affinity for his previous players, then it is mutual on their part. Bruce Smith may be the exception to that, but even he got better for the stage of his career because of Lewis. I think Thornton and/or Hardy could have gotten more money from other clubs but decided to play here anyway. Bailey is another level of money and I realize that .... But .... you never know. If we finish well, he could decide to sign on for less though comparable money and get in on the turn around. For all the money they've spent, Washington seems to be sinking fast.

I'd like to see them at least talk to him if the opportunity presents itself. Coach Lewis is always saying that you can't be afraid of being great. If he believes that then he shouldn't be afraid of pursuing great players.

There is a site dedicated to the feelings you've expressed for Mike Brown. Just kidding, I'm sure you'veĀ  already seen or heard of it.

Good ol' mikebrownsucks.com. Yeah, I was a multi-time doner to their aerial banner campaign. Fun stuff. I stop by to read the boards every once in a while (software seems like junk, posts get pushed off the sides or reduced to long columns with one or two words in each line) but don't post there.

In '99, I remember that I had us taking Bailey in round 1 and Griese in round 2. I absolutely disagree with the people who say you have to take a qb, rb, or wide receiver with the #1 pick.

In '99 I was with Coslet: I wanted that nutty New Orleans trade, then package some picks to move back up & take Bailey. But noooooo...Mikey had to have Akili Smith...

I agree that there's no need to take a QB, RB, or WR #1. I was pimping Newman last April. Nothing against Carson Palmer, but I'm getting mighty sick of us passing on top corners for bazillion dollar QB prospects. Hopefully we won't have to do it again any time soon.

Back to Bailey...Bailey is another level of money and I realize that .... But .... you never know.

No doubt. And I'd love to see it happen.