Draft Conversation

BengalPimp

Also, slight tangent but I think I mentioned Auburn earlier in this or another thread. I'm still impressed with them. Solid solid team. It's probably why they're getting virtually no props from the meeja. College football is all about individual talents but they have a real team.

17th in the polls is a bit of a joke.

Agreed, very underrated!

Major Wright(agreed, very badass name)can bring the wood! I think he is the 3rd best safety in the class, maybe a 2nd round or 3rd, only time will tell!

I would finally disagree with you for once about drafting a safety late! We've done that it seems nearly every draft, with little to nothing to show for it besides Duke Nukem! I would rather sign Roy back than draft someone late, if we draft a real difference maker early then I prob. would still want to sign him back!

I agree with you that my boi BSpikes will go in the Top 15 to 20 range. Eric Berry will be the first safety taken unless the Raiders have a Top 3 pick then Taylor Mays will go b4 Berry! I think both of them will go in the Top 10.

I honestly have no idea what were going to draft! I would spend our first rounder on a Gawd damn long snapper if it means the end of St. Whois! :P

I take your point about drafting a safety late and I agree really. After the third round you're really lucky to strike gold at the position. They might be smart but there's something wrong. Slow as molasses or 5'5" or something. The Bengals sure aren't the Ravens or Colts when it comes to drafting the golden nuggets at safety in the later rounds. Best to play it safe.

See now, my dream would be to resign TRRW at SS and get Berry/Mays at FS. Hot damn that would be a good middle for JJ and Leon to work with. I like what I've seen from MW but do you think he could be a FS at the next level? Only seen him in a couple of games and don't know much about his coverage skills.

If he's solid in coverage then it doesn't matter too much if Berry or Mays are gone. Go with O-line or whichever BPA is there and then snag one of the other 2 or 3 legit safety prospects in the 2nd.

LMAO at ST. Louis. It's laugh or cry with him. We got 7 yrs out of him but the last 3 have sucked. Send him to the Browns.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen a lot of names in this thread that I love...

- I would kill to get Eric Berry on this team. I like Taylor Mays a lot, but I think Eric Berry is that Ed Reed type of game changer that doesn't come around often. I would love to bring in Major Wright too. He's a big hitter and would bring even more physicality to the D, and he could be had later on in the draft than Mays or Berry.

- Bringing in Brandon Spikes as a SAM sounds sweeeeet. Rey, Rivers and Spikes in the same linebacking corps? That. Sounds. Terrifying. Honestly, even if Spikes is going to stay in the middle, why not just draft Spikes to play MLB and keep Rey at SAM? That sounds like a backer corps with the potential to be one of the most exciting... ever. Imagine drafting Spikes and Wright? Wow, I would love that. Sean Witherspoon (Mizzou), Sergio Kindle (Texas) and Dekoda Watson (Florida St) would be good options too in my opinion.

- I think we need a nickel corner pretty badly, but I don't really know of any off hand that jump out at me. I'm thinking a guy in the third or fourth round could do the job.

- Guard, as has been stated, is still probably the biggest area of need on the team, I just love defensive guys. I think we might be able to afford taking a new defensive weapon in the first and getting better value on a guard in the second or third, possibly on a guy like Sergio Render (Va Tech) or Vladimir Ducasse (UMass) would be good options.

- Just food for thought: Why not take a flyer on a great return man like Trindon Holliday or Brandon James?

Nice player. Heady type. Couldn't complain with that pick.

Chris Culliver from the gamecocks is the player I was thinking of. There's a reason he's not considered a top prospect but I think he could make it in the NFL given a couple of yrs experience no problem. Decent size and speed. Their #40 also looks like he has a nose for the ball, a LB I think. Might be there in the middle rnds.

I'm next to useless at evaluating O-linemen so I'll make a note of some of these names you're all throwing oiut and try and catch some of their games.

- I would kill to get Eric Berry on this team. I like Taylor Mays a lot, but I think Eric Berry is that Ed Reed type of game changer that doesn't come around often. I would love to bring in Major Wright too. He's a big hitter and would bring even more physicality to the D, and he could be had later on in the draft than Mays or Berry.

- Bringing in Brandon Spikes as a SAM sounds sweeeeet. Rey, Rivers and Spikes in the same linebacking corps? That. Sounds. Terrifying. Honestly, even if Spikes is going to stay in the middle, why not just draft Spikes to play MLB and keep Rey at SAM? That sounds like a backer corps with the potential to be one of the most exciting... ever. Imagine drafting Spikes and Wright? Wow, I would love that. Sean Witherspoon (Mizzou), Sergio Kindle (Texas) and Dekoda Watson (Florida St) would be good options too in my opinion.

- I think we need a nickel corner pretty badly, but I don't really know of any off hand that jump out at me. I'm thinking a guy in the third or fourth round could do the job.

- Guard, as has been stated, is still probably the biggest area of need on the team, I just love defensive guys. I think we might be able to afford taking a new defensive weapon in the first and getting better value on a guard in the second or third, possibly on a guy like Sergio Render (Va Tech) or Vladimir Ducasse (UMass) would be good options.

- Just food for thought: Why not take a flyer on a great return man like Trindon Holliday or Brandon James?

I agree about the nickel corner, but I will say that Morgan Trent played really well today, I'll watch it again! But the one guy I want most...and this pains me to say this is Javier Arenas outta Bama with great return skills but the perfect nickel guy with the potential to maybe start someday.

I'll eat that food for thought all day long! I've been preaching this for awhile now, I'm biased towards my boy Brandon James but I would love Trindon Holliday as well! I wonder when they can be had? Maybe a 4th at the earliest? I'm not sure maybe they go earlier after Hester went in the 2nd and he didn't do anything else but return!

Chris Culliver from the gamecocks is the player I was thinking of. There's a reason he's not considered a top prospect but I think he could make it in the NFL given a couple of yrs experience no problem. Decent size and speed. Their #40 also looks like he has a nose for the ball, a LB I think. Might be there in the middle rnds.

I'm next to useless at evaluating O-linemen so I'll make a note of some of these names you're all throwing oiut and try and catch some of their games.

Are you talking about Norwood?

Major Wright plays the pass well, its college so who knows what will happen in the NFL! I will admit I didn't think he was gonna be all that great b/c, I don't know if you guys remember Reggie Nelson(he plays for the Jags now), but Reggie was the s**t and one of the main reasons why we won our first National Championship! Then Major Wright comes in and starts as a true freshman and was a big hitter but didn't play the ball well in the air, but he has been superb to date as he gets better every year.

I'm not sure maybe they go earlier after Hester went in the 2nd and he didn't do anything else but return!

True enough. He could have gone first rnd if that useless bastard larry Coker knew what the hell he was doing. Begging to be played at WR for a couple of yrs. We weren't loaded at that point. Criminally underused but what a returner the little bugger was. I remember fondly the return against the Gators at the Orange Bowl. It looked like everyone else on the field was standing still. I love Cooper at RB but he's not a great returner at all.

We used to have speed, normally all the speed. Your Gators have stolen that from us with your winning and subsequent hoovering up of the top S.FLA talent these last few yrs. <_<

Are you talking about Norwood?

Sorry, had my thoughts rather jumbled. Should have tacked on the #40 at the end. That's Norwood the LB right? I meant to say, he looks like a good prospect. The other stuff, not a top prospect, going middle rnds etc was about Culliver.

I believe Norwood's a DE actually, but damn is he good. I think he's the SEC's career leader in sacks, and he's a tough, clutch pass rusher. I wouldn't mind drafting him.

Supa, I'm definitely biased towards James too. I would kill to get Spikes, Wright and James. Speaking of Florida guys, I don't know how early he would have to be taken, but what about Joe Haden? Dude's got speed.

I believe Norwood's a DE actually, but damn is he good. I think he's the SEC's career leader in sacks, and he's a tough, clutch pass rusher. I wouldn't mind drafting him.

Supa, I'm definitely biased towards James too. I would kill to get Spikes, Wright and James. Speaking of Florida guys, I don't know how early he would have to be taken, but what about Joe Haden? Dude's got speed.

:o Holy hell. One athletic DE. I saw him drop in coverage a couple of times. And he looked comfortable.

I'm not sure maybe they go earlier after Hester went in the 2nd and he didn't do anything else but return!

True enough. He could have gone first rnd if that useless bastard larry Coker knew what the hell he was doing. Begging to be played at WR for a couple of yrs. We weren't loaded at that point. Criminally underused but what a returner the little bugger was. I remember fondly the return against the Gators at the Orange Bowl. It looked like everyone else on the field was standing still. I love Cooper at RB but he's not a great returner at all.

We used to have speed, normally all the speed. Your Gators have stolen that from us with your winning and subsequent hoovering up of the top S.FLA talent these last few yrs. <_<

:cheers:

I don't think he's the SEC leader, I heard them say he was South Carolina's all time leader! :huh:

I believe Haden will be at least a 1st or 2nd rounder.

That sounds like a great draft, all Florida Gators, I'd love it and we would be better off for it! :D

I've never seen such a deep DT class that I can remember! I watched that Nebraska game vs. Mizzou, man is that Ndamukong Suh a beast! :o Dominating! He officially not be there for us!

You got Suh, Gerald McCoy of Oklahoma(who will also be gone), Terrance "Mount" Cody is prob. our best choice if he's still there!

There are others that I just can't remember right now but we might go D-Line this year!

Suh had another good game eh? I've seen him twice this yr and he's been one of the best, if not the best, player on the field each time. I agree with you in that Cody will most likely be the best DT left when we pick. Whether we do got DT with that pick depends on how Tank goes this season and if we sign him long term. Tank stays and we pass and I'm happy or he doesn't and we go with Cody and I'm happy. Maybe Sims will have stepped up by then and they think Peko and Sims would be the starters with Fanene in rotation and go with a DT later in the in the draft.

It depends on what they choose to do with all the guys that are here on one year deals or are free agents after this season as well.

What about guys like Benson who are here on 2 year deals and is doing what he is doing to this point ?? Extend ahead of time or wait ??

Agree with you guys though in the thought of linebacker help, secondary help, and both lines.

Priotity at this point ?? Hard to say, but I will go with:

OG

OLB

DT

CB

S

However, depending on where we are drafting and what we do with the players we currently have, that order will shift...

Either way, Dhani, I love ya baby, but you have to go after this season. Far far too slow, even for a 30+ MLB. Stay for depth and leadership sure but you just cannot be a starter next yr.

We get a LB in the draft at some point, in the top 3 rnds imo. If Rey keeps on keeping on then we can simply go with the best LB available in whatever round we go for a LB, outside or inside and then adjust accordingly.

Or they go looking for that DE/LB tweener that they think can rush the passer from the outside linebacker position.

Kind of makes me wonder if at some point they start looking at Michael Johnson more in that role to get him more involved.

In doing that, it would certainly free up the ability to go best player available at another position.

Or they go looking for that DE/LB tweener that they think can rush the passer from the outside linebacker position.

Kind of makes me wonder if at some point they start looking at Michael Johnson more in that role to get him more involved.

In doing that, it would certainly free up the ability to go best player available at another position.

Good point. Plus with Brandon Johnson you have decent depth at the OLB position. Just move Rey back to the middle and go with MLB depth in FA or later in the draft.

Either way, Dhani, I love ya baby, but you have to go after this season. Far far too slow, even for a 30+ MLB. Stay for depth and leadership sure but you just cannot be a starter next yr.

We get a LB in the draft at some point, in the top 3 rnds imo. If Rey keeps on keeping on then we can simply go with the best LB available in whatever round we go for a LB, outside or inside and then adjust accordingly.

I regretfully agree...I love me some Dhani Jones but since the Squeeler game where Willie Parker beat Dhani outside and Keith Rivers came from 10 yards behind Dhani to stop Parker. Its nothing against Dhani, he has completely surpassed any expectations I had when we signed him off the streets, but move Rey back to the middle and draft the best OLB in the first 3 rounds!

It depends on what they choose to do with all the guys that are here on one year deals or are free agents after this season as well.

What about guys like Benson who are here on 2 year deals and is doing what he is doing to this point ?? Extend ahead of time or wait ??

Agree with you guys though in the thought of linebacker help, secondary help, and both lines.

OG

OLB

DT

CB

S

However, depending on where we are drafting and what we do with the players we currently have, that order will shift...

I agree that it depends on what we do with guys we have! Resign Roy Williams, did anyone see what he did to Todd Heap on JJoe's interception? He crunch his lunch! :bengal:

If Ced keeps this up for the rest of the season then I extend him but maybe only like another 3 years which would give him 4 years left with us. Running Backs are just a tough call cuz they can hit a wall like none other I've ever seen!

I agree with your priority, not in that order but those are easily the our top needs.

I hate Bama but I would love to have Terrance "Mount" Cody, he's 6'3 350lbs(he's listed at 350, he's more like 400) and I heard he can dunk a basketball!!! :o

Good point. Plus with Brandon Johnson you have decent depth at the OLB position. Just move Rey back to the middle and go with MLB depth in FA or later in the draft.

That's if we resign him,I'd like to see Defensive End at this point though,With how much Michael Johnson drops back he may be possibility for SLB if they let Brandon Walk

OG

OLB

DT

CB

S

Big part of it depends who we resign we got alot of Free Agents this year :|

OG-Bobbie Williams & Evan Mathis both FA's

OLB-Brandon Johnson & Rashad Jeanty do we keep either to replace Maualuga at SLB?

DT-Tank has played well but is banged up I don't see him commanding a huge contract though

CB-Well At this point we have to see about extending our cornerbacks & trent has looked well but I'd wanna burn a 3-4th on another CB.

SS-Well It doesn't look like we will get Berry or Mays at this point so I'm all up for resigning Roy...then using him & Ndukwe the way we have been...

That's if we resign him,I'd like to see Defensive End at this point though,With how much Michael Johnson drops back he may be possibility for SLB if they let Brandon Walk

OG

OLB

DT

CB

S

Big part of it depends who we resign we got alot of Free Agents this year :|

OG-Bobbie Williams & Evan Mathis both FA's

OLB-Brandon Johnson & Rashad Jeanty do we keep either to replace Maualuga at SLB?

DT-Tank has played well but is banged up I don't see him commanding a huge contract though

CB-Well At this point we have to see about extending our cornerbacks & trent has looked well but I'd wanna burn a 3-4th on another CB.

SS-Well It doesn't look like we will get Berry or Mays at this point so I'm all up for resigning Roy...then using him & Ndukwe the way we have been...

I'm down to resign Roy and just use them the same, but I wouldn't mind drafting Major Wright to develop and start eventually!