Rookies starting in 2004...I say

I'm predicting the Bengals will start these four draft picks.

#1: Matthias Askew at DT. At his size and with his ability, I think he cannot be denied a starting job on a defensive line that was last year usually unable to stop anyone from even driving Miss Daisy!

#2: Stacy Andrews at OT. With him and Willie Anderson opening holes together, look for Marvin to use a very potent ground attack to take the defensive pressure off of Carson. I honestly think the Bengals running game will be slightly stronger than the passing game, at least in Palmers 1st year.

#3: Keiwan Ratliff at CB. I say he will be given the baptism of fire as a starting corner, mostly due to the fact that he has the ability to beat out what the Bengals currently have in that position, except for probably Deltha O’Neil. I feel the sooner he see's action, the sooner we develop our own shut down corner!

#4: Chris Perry at RB. There, I said it! Him being picked at #1 this year really baffled me until I looked into his stats. It wasn't so much of the pure numbers as it was more impressive of who he made those stats against! He wasn't running day in and day out against a bunch of division two level players for crissakes!

I just feel that Perry has more ability than Rudi, along with more speed and explosiveness. Chris may not start the first game of the season, but I forsee by game 3 or 4 he will have established his position as the #1 back.

Insanity you say? Then why did we draft him #1? :blink:

Now time for the rebuttals! B)

Billy , It's obvious that you and I both suffer from Insomnia !! :lol:

But out of those four, I don't see a potential starter in '04.

1. Askew, Although he'll play a lot, Williams will get the start over him ,since the Gardner thing blew up !

2. Stacy Andrews, tremendous size and potential, but with the signing of Larry Moore, and Bobbie Williams, right guard is allready spoken for. - But I would love to see Andrews on the goal line situations. Maybe put him and Jeremi Johnson in the back field ! :lol:

3. Right now, Madieu Williams has a slight lead on Ratliff for the 3rd corner spot in nickel and Dime packages. I'm not sold that Ratliff will be a starter, but he should develop into a fine 3rd corner.

4. '04 has Rudi all over it. Perry will be given his chances, and may even have some of those Harold Green , big runs that basically won the job for him over James Brooks the following season. But ' 04 is Rudi's to lose, and I think Perry will shine in '05.

out of those four, I don't see a potential starter in '04.

Well Chris, the only way to resolve this is to revisit it in 81 days 13 hours 04 minutes 34 seconds. God I love the Countdown Clock! :D

And I don't suffer from insomnia, I'm in the Pacific time zone out here in Arizona and I'm watching South Park and The Chappelle Show! :lol:

I don't see a starter in that group except MAYBE Andrews, and that's a gigantic maybe. Ratliff is a career nickel IMO, he has the playmaking ability to still be a great contributor but I think his size especially in today's NFL may hurt him. At dime-back he'd be lethal. Askew will be in rotation so his potential is quite high to start, but I don't think its fully necessary. Andrews has all the potential to start, but his experience at the position will hinder him. As for Chris Perry, Rudi Johnson beat out Corey Dillon if he lets a rookie beat him out :unsure:

Still, that's a nice corp unit for the future which is what the draft is for. We also wont have many starters from this draft, maybe two. Hall will start unless he has a horrible training camp, but coaches and players are impressed by him. Jenkins wont start this year, White has come along strong and the staff still likes Finneran. Schaub...well I pray Schaub NEVER starts, but his chances are high. Demorrio Williams, Chad Lavalais, Etric Pruitt and Quincy Wilson will need injuries in order to start.

PERRY, ah yes. don't see him as the starter at the beginning of the season. but i do believe he will have more yards than rudi on the ground and definitely through the air. i do belive his speed and QUICKNESS will unseat rudi, say, around game 8. Larson over Richardson.

STACET ANDREWS STARTING AT LEFT TACKLE!! WHAT!!!

Are you guys forgeting our 1st rounder from 02? my god man i'm starting to worry about people opinion's here they all seem to come from nowhere with no thought.

Levi jones is a great tackle and he willl remain that way.

STACET ANDREWS STARTING AT LEFT TACKLE!! WHAT!!!

Are you guys forgeting our 1st rounder from 02? my god man i'm starting to worry about people opinion's here they all seem to come from nowhere with no thought.

Levi jones is a great tackle and he willl remain that way.

I think Billy had a typo. I believe he meant Right Guard...Hence the Willie comments about opening holes up....Andrews is a guard until Willie retires...And your right, Levi is top shelf, he played at a near pro bowl level last year and I read numerous sports writers say as much...this after so many people ragged on the team for picking him.

Levi jones is a great tackle and he will remain that way.

Yeah, I saw Levi's "greatness" in the last game against that powerhouse of a team, the Cleveland Browns, where they ran over his ass time and time again, but it's no big deal. They equally ran over the entire defense. And it just wasn't that game either. The Rams did it, the Ravens did it, hell...even the stinkin' Arizona Cardinals ran all over them!

Time for new blood 'cause the old blood just ain't cutting it, I don't care where they were picked in what draft. THAT'S where it coming from, but I guess you forgot these games already.

Don't kid yourself turningpoint. Games are won and lost on the line, and unless the defensive line improves, Palmer and the Cincinnati offense ain't gonna get the ball enough to make a damn bit of difference!

Uh billy....Levi plays offense..... :blink:

And yeah, he didn't close out the season in top form, but then knee surgery a few days before the 49ers game didn't help....

Billy,

Levi Jones plays offense, how did he get run over by opposing RB's?? :blink:

Maybe you're confusing him with Duane Clemons??? :blink:

Levi is a top 15 OT in the NFL hands down.

I totally was. Embarassing post by me. DELETED! :wacko:

Don't feel to bad Billy , Here's some info to cheer Bengals up .

* News sources from the Associated Press revealed that Bengals second year Wide receiver Kelley Washington has been every bit as impressive in minicamps and workouts as he did as a Freshman at the University of Tennessee. Washington, taking starting snaps due to Peter Warricks rehabbing knee, will probably be given an opportunity to win the Starting job over Peter Warrick in Training camp.

* Also reported, Kenny Watson looked faster and coaches have been impressed with his over all knowledge of the system. Watson and NFL Europe star Skip Hicks will most likely battle for the 3rd running back spot behind Rudi Johnson and first round pick Chris Perry.

:player:

I think Kelley is gonna get that 2nd WR spot this year. But it makes more sense though since Warrick would be a great slot receiver. I hope we see a lot of 3 and 4 WR sets this year because we certainly have the personnel and chemistry to do it.

Ditto.

Perry at Ratliff will see time, but I do not see them pushing the guys in front of them to a reserve roll. Rudi can run hard, and that he will do, Perry will be able to run and catch taking some of the pressure off Carson. Askew and and Andrews are both in need of some work and experience and Marvin can work with them, but not start them right away. Williams has a great shot at seeing just as much playing time as any other rookie because he is able to do so much, he will allow Marvin to hind D gameplans and throw off QB's. It looks like we will be facing some new and for the most part young QBs in the North so look for Williams to be a big playmaker.