Reds vs. Royals

ArmyBengal

Ok, opening the three game series tonight is Maloney getting his second major league start. He should have gotten the win in his first game, but maybe tonight's the night. Kansas City is sitting in the bottom of the AL Central at (25-34) and are 2-8 in their last 10. Like the Nationals, the Reds should be looking for a sweep and not simply content with a series victory, but that will wait to be seen.

The Brewers start a 3 game set against the White Sox and the Cardinals start a 3 game set against the Indians, so again, I think the Reds need to win in order to keep pace as both those teams aren't doing so well. We are still 1.5 games back and are hanging in while we should be getting players back off the DL soon.

Arroyo and Cueto get the starts in games 2 and 3.

I agree the Reds have to approach this just like the Nationals. Anything less than a sweep is unacceptable. Our bats need to wake up though because you can't expect the starters to give up 2 runs or less every time.

This SHOULD be a fun series. The only thing I can see messing it up is the Reds tendency to play up, or in this case down to their competition.

Looking forward to seeing round 2 of Maloney. Hopefully Arroyo is the good Arroyo this time. And Cueto has all but locked up an all-star bid at this point.

6/12 Lineup and Info

REDS

1. Willy Taveras, CF

2. Alex Gonzalez, SS

3. Brandon Phillips, 2B

4. Laynce Nix, LF

5. Ramon Hernandez, 1B

6. Jay Bruce, RF

7. Jonny Gomes, DH

8. Ryan Hanigan, C

9. Adam Rosales, 3B

Matt Maloney (0-0, 3.00 ERA): will make his second major league start in place of the injured Edinson Volquez. He gave up 2 runs (2 home runs), and 6 hits in 6 innings against the Cubs on Saturday.

ROYALS

Luke Hochevar (1-2, 7.85): is making his second start since being recalled from Triple-A Omaha. He gave up 2 runs and 4 hits in 6.2 innings of a 6-2 win over Toronto on Saturday for his first win since July 11.

The Royals host the Cincinnati Reds for the first time in 10 years when the teams open a three-game series Friday night.

The Reds are 7-4 against the Royals, sweeping a three-game series in Kansas City in 1999 in the only meeting there between the teams. That series included a doubleheader after a power outage.

Wow, a 4-1 loss to the Royals to start the series. Not exactly what they need to be doing at this point. They hit .190 as a team against the Nationals and were able to take 2 of 3, but that didn't work against the Royals who threw a 3 hitter against the Reds last night. Taveras is currently in an 0-27 slump after going 0 for 4 last night, but no one else did much better.

The Reds have got to figure out how to get some hits. Dusty says he wants to play small ball since getting rid of Dunn and Griffey, but no one is getting on base to help that cause. They can't expect the rest of the NL Central to continue playing as inconsistently as they are for the remainder of the season. Sooner or later they are going to find themselves 10 games back and out of the hunt again if they can't get this together.

Arroyo is up tonight...

Ugly game last night. Hopefully their bats wake up for games 2 and 3.

Paging Joey Votto...

Votto will help no doubt but this team is in desperate need of some hitting depth in general. The "good" hitters are way to streaky for this team to even think about making the playoffs. Basically, if this team's only problem is Votto being gone, they are in trouble in the long run. Kinda reminds me of the Bengals and Palmer.

Yes, Votto being out hurts the team in what he brings with his bat, but the pitching hasn't been the best as of lately either. Arroyo just got rocked today and Volquez hs been on the DL. Maloney has given up homer after homer in his two starts and Owings hasn't been the best in his late few starts either. They need both Volquez and Votto to get healthy and just settle down, because the sh*t we are seeing against one of the worst teams in the league is very disheartening.

If they get swept here, it could get ugly for this young team.

Just like what I said when they got swept by the Padres not long ago, they just can't afford to drop games like these.

I just hope they can keep their heads above .500 until Votto returns. A lot of team chemistry is lost with him out of the lineup.

Agree with you Billy and fortunately for the Reds now, the other teams in the NL Central are playing inconsistent ball as well. The Reds, Brewers, Cardinals, and Cubs are all 4-6 in their last 10 games. If they weren't so inconsistent, the Reds may already be out it. If the Reds end up not in contention for the Wild Card (which I think is what they will be looking at) they will look back on this series and the one with the Padres (unless there are more to come) and say, "what if".

And they lose 7-1 and get swept by the sh*tty Royals. Good job Reds. They managed a whole 5 hits today and not one player had more than 1. Hairston had two throwing errors today and 5 of the 7 runs were unearned. They are playing like sh*t. Get them together Dusty or they are going down hard !!!

And they lose 7-1 and get swept by the sh*tty Royals. Good job Reds. They managed a whole 5 hits today and not one player had more than 1. Hairston had two throwing errors today and 5 of the 7 runs were unearned. They are playing like sh*t. Get them together Dusty or they are going down hard !!!

Dusty's the problem. He's a boneheaded coach. I'm not a fan of him anymore.

I'm not ready to place all the blame on Dusty right now (but reserve the right later) and still think the players have to make this happen, but the team can't be sitting there thinking there isn't a problem with the hitting when they hit .190 as a team against the Nationals and then get swept by the f*cking Royals. It's a disgrace and CERTAINLY presents a huge problem.

How we are still only 2.5 out of first is a miracle !!!

I'm not ready to place all the blame on Dusty right now (but reserve the right later) and still think the players have to make this happen, but the team can't be sitting there thinking there isn't a problem with the hitting when they hit .190 as a team against the Nationals and then get swept by the f*cking Royals. It's a disgrace and CERTAINLY presents a huge problem.

How we are still only 2.5 out of first is a miracle !!!

I agree and with the length of the season in general we have to have some patience. But...at some point in time when players aren't performing the manager and the coaches have to take the heat. I just can't understand the thought process that says...well, the players are the ones that have to play and they're professionals so the managers and coaches can't do anything to get them to play better." BS. Hell, hire me for half of what Jacoby is making and I can come to the ballpark with no game strategy, tell Bruce to just keep doing what he is doing, and sit there and eat sunflower seeds. Managers need to manage and coaches need to coach...ESPECIALLY the young guys. If they aren't cutting it then at some point a change in the manager or coaches has to be made.

Jacoby is EXACTLY who I was referring to. You can't tell me this guy is deserving of his job at this point in time. You can say the Reds are doing better than expected, but are they ?? They are playing .500 ball and are lucky as hell to only be 3 games back (The Brewers won tonight 14-12) as the other teams in the NL Central are playing equally inconsistent. I agree the players need to be coached up and I was meaning the focus should be more on the position coaches and not Dusty (at this point in time). It's not to say I have agreed with all of his calls, but Jacoby is straight pissing me off with the poor production from the bats. Harang should donkey punch his ass for not getting him any run support.

Jacoby's my guess for the first to get sh*tcanned...