Caution Laps

Kirkendall

As fans know, the caution laps in NASCAR this season has caused many problems especially at Dover and Pocono. On NASCAR.com's "Last Lap", a writer wrote in about how to more reduce the amount of caution laps.. here is his explaination.

If you want to shorten caution laps, several things need to happen.

1. A-holes need to quit throwing debris on the track

2. The safety crews' numbers need to be increased, to get the track cleared faster.

3. Let the scoring loop determine the position, not the towers eyes. Those computers are one hell of a lot faster, and more accurate, than a human.

4. Get rid of the NASCAR "official" that opens pit road, become a computer controlled device, that once the leader trips the loop prior to the Pit road entrance, 2 times, the light changes. (ability to be overridden in the event of a crash on pit road).

What do you guys think?

1. People that do that should be banned for life from every NASCAR event. Hell, if they could be banned from watching in on TV I'd say yes to it.

2. You can never have enough safety crew.

3. Nope. I think they should go to the last completed lap....A pass doesn't count until it happens at the start finish line at the end of the race, why should caution laps be different?

4. Don't open the pits until everyone has completed 1 lap behind the pace car. There can never be any confusion about that.

4. Don't open the pits until everyone has completed 1 lap behind the pace car. There can never be any confusion about that.

The response..

Essentially, you could put a standard stop light at the entrance to pit road, with a red light on the top, yellow in the middle and green at the bottom.

The first time the leader goes by the entrance to pit road, the red light turns to yellow, preparing drivers for pit road to open the following lap. Then, the second time the leader rolls by, the light turns green, opening pit road.

I personally prefer racing back to the yellow flag. Nascar surely has some bugs to work out, but here's the problem...this is something they cannot just practice anytime at!

The only way for them to learn is under real race conditions. Believe me when I say there are plenty more mistakes to come, at least fro the next 6 to 10 races! That's just the nature of this beast. :(