Bills trading up ahead of the Bengals

http://buf.scout.com/2/859364.html

Bills looking to move up for Smith?

By Tyler Dunne

BFR Publisher

Posted Apr 23, 2009

Buffalo may be targeting Alabama offensive tackle Andre Smith as its replacement for Jason Peters. After trading Peters to Philadelphia, the focus has shifted. Scout.com has learned that the Bills may be looking to trade up for Smith. The scoop inside...

In lieu of losing Jason Peters, the Buffalo Bills may be trying trade up in the draft to secure a left tackle.

A league source told Scout.com's Adam Caplan that the Bills are trying to trade up – past the Cincinnati Bengals at No. 6 overall – to land Alabama tackle Andre Smith. Both Buffalo and Cincinnati are in need of a starting tackle and the Bengals are considered a hot landing spot for Smith.

The need for a left tackle was created last weekend when Buffalo finally dealt the unhappy Peters to the Philadelphia Eagles for the 28th overall pick, a fourth round selection and a sixth round pick next year. The team lacks any viable immediate replacements right now. Only Langston Walker, Kirk Chambers and Demetrius Bell are the top tackles in the mix.

Peters wanted to be paid as the richest tackle in the league last off-season, a demand Buffalo refused to meet. He skipped the team's entire training camp, drawing $560,000 in fines. During the season, Peters was inconsistent. He made his second straight Pro Bowl but allowed more sacks than any other starting left tackle in the NFL (11.5).

Still, it's a big hole to fill. Peters remained one of the best young talents in the league. It appears the Bills are aggressively seeking to fill his void with their first pick in the draft. No player has had a rockier last couple months than Smith. He ducked out of the NFL Combine and was underwhelming at his pro day. In the bench press, he only had 19 reps of 225 pounds. His 40 time hovered in 5.3 range.

Click here for the video of Smith’s pro day.

Still, on talent-alone Smith could be the biggest hit at tackle in this year’s draft class. Before his miserable series of events, Smith was projected as a possible No. 1 overall pick. He is a masher with a massive base. Though his character has been questioned, Smith's talent ceiling is extremely high. He is deceptively agile for a man of his size.

Of course, if the Bills do indeed plan on trading into the top 5 for Smith than they'd need to pay him a contract that'd be awfully close to the one they denied Peters. Somewhat strange. Smokescreens are the norm this time of season, so you never know.

The Bills still have pressing needs at tight end and defensive end but positions are rich enough to address in the second or third rounds if need be. For now, the Bills may be on the warpath for Andre Smith.

http://buf.scout.com/2/859364.html

Bills looking to move up for Smith?

By Tyler Dunne

BFR Publisher

Posted Apr 23, 2009

Buffalo may be targeting Alabama offensive tackle Andre Smith as its replacement for Jason Peters. After trading Peters to Philadelphia, the focus has shifted. Scout.com has learned that the Bills may be looking to trade up for Smith. The scoop inside...

In lieu of losing Jason Peters, the Buffalo Bills may be trying trade up in the draft to secure a left tackle.

A league source told Scout.com's Adam Caplan that the Bills are trying to trade up – past the Cincinnati Bengals at No. 6 overall – to land Alabama tackle Andre Smith. Both Buffalo and Cincinnati are in need of a starting tackle and the Bengals are considered a hot landing spot for Smith.

The need for a left tackle was created last weekend when Buffalo finally dealt the unhappy Peters to the Philadelphia Eagles for the 28th overall pick, a fourth round selection and a sixth round pick next year. The team lacks any viable immediate replacements right now. Only Langston Walker, Kirk Chambers and Demetrius Bell are the top tackles in the mix.

Peters wanted to be paid as the richest tackle in the league last off-season, a demand Buffalo refused to meet. He skipped the team's entire training camp, drawing $560,000 in fines. During the season, Peters was inconsistent. He made his second straight Pro Bowl but allowed more sacks than any other starting left tackle in the NFL (11.5).

Still, it's a big hole to fill. Peters remained one of the best young talents in the league. It appears the Bills are aggressively seeking to fill his void with their first pick in the draft. No player has had a rockier last couple months than Smith. He ducked out of the NFL Combine and was underwhelming at his pro day. In the bench press, he only had 19 reps of 225 pounds. His 40 time hovered in 5.3 range.

Click here for the video of Smith’s pro day.

Still, on talent-alone Smith could be the biggest hit at tackle in this year’s draft class. Before his miserable series of events, Smith was projected as a possible No. 1 overall pick. He is a masher with a massive base. Though his character has been questioned, Smith's talent ceiling is extremely high. He is deceptively agile for a man of his size.

Of course, if the Bills do indeed plan on trading into the top 5 for Smith than they'd need to pay him a contract that'd be awfully close to the one they denied Peters. Somewhat strange. Smokescreens are the norm this time of season, so you never know.

The Bills still have pressing needs at tight end and defensive end but positions are rich enough to address in the second or third rounds if need be. For now, the Bills may be on the warpath for Andre Smith.

The title of this thread is misleading since it talks about the Bills trading above the Bengals... not with them.

But still... 3 OT's going in the top 5? If this has any truth in it, Curry very well might be the only pick.

The Browns also want 2 or more first round picks so, that could be the case there.

Come on Curry!

Yeah. Ultimately I'll believe it when I see it. The Bills would only have to give up the 11th overall and their 42nd overall to get to the value of the Browns #5 slot. But to get to the Cheifs #3 slot, they'd have to give up both 1st round picks, their 42nd overall as well as a 3rd rounder and probably a 5th or 6th rounder as well. There's no way they'll give up that much for A. Smith when there is no danger of him being drafted in the top 5.

No... really, the only thing I see coming from this is the Bengals getting screwed. Watch. St. Louis will take J. Smith, KC will take Monroe, Seattle will take Curry, and the Bills will take A. Smith. That leaves the Bengals with nothing that I want at the #6 slot. That's a worst case scenario in my mind.

Watch. St. Louis will take J. Smith, KC will take Monroe, Seattle will take Curry, and the Bills will take A. Smith. That leaves the Bengals with nothing that I want at the #6 slot. That's a worst case scenario in my mind.

I see it differently...the Lions grab Stafford, the Rams take Monroe, the Chiefs jump all over Curry, the Seahawks pick Crabtree, the Browns go for Orakpo, and Cincinnati lands an offensive lineman named "Smith". It's a toss up between Jason or Andre in my book.

Watch. St. Louis will take J. Smith, KC will take Monroe, Seattle will take Curry, and the Bills will take A. Smith. That leaves the Bengals with nothing that I want at the #6 slot. That's a worst case scenario in my mind.

I see it differently...the Lions grab Stafford, the Rams take Monroe, the Chiefs jump all over Curry, the Seahawks pick Crabtree, the Browns go for Orakpo, and Cincinnati lands an offensive lineman named "Smith". It's a toss up between Jason or Andre in my book.

It seems you've been sniffing whatever it is that they've got over there at Walterfootball.com. But I respect the opinions of that site, so it could be.

I was just throwing the idea that the Bills potentially trading up could end up pretty bad for the Bengals. And while I do respect the opinions of Walterfootball... I have a hard time believing that Seattle takes Crabtree. Most mocks have them going for Sanchez. Those who don't have them taking Curry, and I've even seen a couple that have them taking Monroe (Yes another team that could be interested in an OT). My hope is that they take Sanchez... but like I stated, worst case scenario is that 3 OT's and Curry are taken in the top 5.

That leaves the Bengals with the choice between Raji, Orakpo, and Crabtree. My hope would be Orakpo. I would be content with Raji... but I'm guessing they'd take Crabtree - which is why I'm buying a gun prior to draft day.

It seems you've been sniffing whatever it is that they've got over there at Walterfootball.com. But I respect the opinions of that site, so it could be.

I was just throwing the idea that the Bills potentially trading up could end up pretty bad for the Bengals. And while I do respect the opinions of Walterfootball... I have a hard time believing that Seattle takes Crabtree. Most mocks have them going for Sanchez. Those who don't have them taking Curry, and I've even seen a couple that have them taking Monroe (Yes another team that could be interested in an OT). My hope is that they take Sanchez... but like I stated, worst case scenario is that 3 OT's and Curry are taken in the top 5.

That leaves the Bengals with the choice between Raji, Orakpo, and Crabtree. My hope would be Orakpo. I would be content with Raji... but I'm guessing they'd take Crabtree - which is why I'm buying a gun prior to draft day.

I knew I'd get busted, but that's my wet dream of a draft.

The Bills trading up to take A. Smith screws us, no two ways about it. What next ?? Reach for Oher ?? PLEASE GOD NO !!!

I guess we take defense and I would be ok with that, but only for one player. Raji...

It makes the Curry situation more interesting, but I still don't see him getting past Seattle. I can't see them taking Crabtree when the draft is so deep at WR.

Hmmmmm Well rather then have the bills trade up above us I rather see us trade down with them lol....May as well if their gonna try screw us out of a player >_<.....Would be interesting if three tackles went top 3 I could live with Curry,Orakpo or Maualuga ^_^

I'd love Curry. If he's gone, I'd live with Orakpo. But I don't want Maualuga or Crabtree at that spot. It's time to trade down if it goes down that way.

The Bills trading up to take A. Smith screws us, no two ways about it. What next ?? Reach for Oher ?? PLEASE GOD NO !!!

I guess we take defense and I would be ok with that, but only for one player. Raji...

It makes the Curry situation more interesting, but I still don't see him getting past Seattle. I can't see them taking Crabtree when the draft is so deep at WR.

Well I would hope they trade down with the 49ers if that happens where all three tackles are gone and Curry. I know we will be able to find a trading partner if that situation happened because Sanchez will still be on the board along with Crabtree because I do believe Stafford is the first pick in the draft. Anyone heard the story from rotorworld where the 49ers want to trade up for the #6 and 4th-7th round pick and the Bengals would get the 49ers 1st, second, and Heitman?

Everyone knows we aren't taking Sanchez either and neither are the Raiders and possibly even the Jags, so there is no reason for a team to trade up to #6 when they really have to go as high as #7 or #8. I just don't see us trading at this point...

Well it depends. You trade up with a team that you think you have a chance at trading with. I haven't heard that the Raiders are interested in trading their pick. They might be in love with Crabtree or Maclin and be unwilling to trade their pick. People might be willing to trade with the Bengals or Browns simply because a deal with another team might not be an option... not because they actually need to trade up that high.

The only other thing more full of sh*t than that Billy is the thought of picking Sanchez in the hopes of trading him after the fact.

Stupidest sh*t I've heard trying to do unless you have it arranged ahead of time with a team...

Here's the way I see it Mark. The Bengals founding father Paul Brown wouldn't be playing this pathetic BPA game. He'd be looking at what top player would be the best fit for his team and it's needs to help it win games. I'm not saying Papa Brown picked right every time in the draft while he was in charge, but he did pretty damn good.