Some bad news for the Squeelers too!

One WR missing, one unhappy as Steelers workouts end

June 11, 2004

SportsLine.com wire reports

PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Steelers ended their offseason workouts with one more unhappy wide receiver and a lot fewer questions about quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Receiver Plaxico Burress finished the sessions in the same place he started them during the team's May 7-9 minicamp: anywhere but Pittsburgh. He skipped every workout for undisclosed reasons, which probably centered around his lack of a contract beyond this season.

Coach Bill Cowher said he hasn't talked with Burress, though agent Eugene Parker said Burress will report to training camp July 30.

What's interesting is the Steelers' other starting receiver, Hines Ward, is making no such promises despite attending all of the offseason practices.

Ward thinks he is underpaid with a base salary of $1,688,760 and wants to renegotiate his contract, just as quarterback Tommy Maddox did earlier this week. Ward, a three-time Pro Bowl receiver, is signed through 2005.

"I maxed out all my incentives ... and I'm still underpaid," said Ward, who caught 95 passes last season despite playing with broken ribs in December. "That's just a fact."

Asked if he expects Ward to report to camp on time, Cowher said, "We'll wait and see. I have no control over that."

Team president Art Rooney II called the Maddox renegotiation a "rare exception" and suggested other players shouldn't consider similar treatment.

Maddox was the NFL's lowest-paid veteran starting quarterback - and would have been No. 3 among Steelers quarterbacks once Roethlisberger signed - until being given a $2 million signing bonus.

Maddox was a backup when he signed his previous contract in 2002, with the understanding it would be reworked if he became a starter. However, he spent nearly two full seasons as a starter before getting the modest pay hike. The renegotiated contract did not boost his $750,000 base salary.

Cowher and Ward talked about Ward's contract situation before the Steelers headed off for their summer vacations.

"I understand what this system is all about," Cowher said. "Again, we'll try to deal with things on a subjective basis, still recognizing the bottom line is when you have team success, individual goals will be met. It still starts with the team."

While Maddox is signed through 2007, the Steelers plan to go with first-round draft pick Roethlisberger sooner than later.

According to Cowher, he showed steady progress while going against the Steelers' starting defense almost daily since last month.

"Certainly, I think he is getting comfortable," Cowher said. "He saw a lot of different fronts, a lot of different blitzes, a lot of people going in a lot of different directions. You couple that with being new in the system, there were some inconsistencies. But that is to be expected.

"He showed a lot of signs of what we thought we were getting when we drafted him."

I can guarantee Maddox to be starting. Ben will not start an official 2004 game until maybe the last 3 or 4 games. He isn't even going to be the back up.

Plax is a big problem we're trying to sort out though. I'll admit that. God knows that the idiots doing. He's upset the whole of Steeler fanbase. Even the most loyal Plax fans are confused.

Don't worry about Ward. For someone who puts 110% into every performance, even when we couldn't make the play offs last year and he had a broken rib - he still played. He's even quoted as saying the contract negotiations will not affect his performance this upcoming season.

Sportsline are very inaccurrate. It manages to ignore very key factors.

• 3 weeks later...

Turi...Have to totally disagree with your Ben assessment. Believe him to take majority of snaps this season. I'm also a die hard Buckeye fan and Am familiar with the increase in strength of the MAC college teams.Watched him play against us a few times.He's the real deal! And probably the best Steeler pick in years!Hated that he went to a team the Bengals play twice yearly.Pittsburgh weakest link was thier QB....problem 1 solved.OOOPS!! You finally get one and now your cry-baby receivers squabble about what $100 is to you or me.

Yeah,count on Ben having a really rough year as he hasn't been able to 'buddied-up' with a particular receiver.CHEMISTRY CHEMISTRY CHEMISTRY...3 players that can make it happen won't be playing off the other's best points.

NOW,look at the Bengals.Palmer>Washington will be a favorite this year.

Rudi and Perry combo who's running styles fit with the new offensive scheme will then help open Warrick.Mobile QB adds the last element to an offense that should light up the boards.

I understand the Perry pick and it will benefit,BUT I still think a more prevalent choose would have been to pick Gamble and center your middle picks to players that mesh well with Chris.Oh well...We've done very well last few years.

As a Miami grad (yes Miami, Ohio was a university when Florida was still owned by Spain!!) I was privileged to be able to watch Big Ben over the last 3 years, including in person against Marshall last year. The guy is going to be great as long as Puttsburgh Squeelers don't mess him up. Give him time to adjust and a good line and you'll be able to watch him throw on the run like no one else in our time. Broke my heart to see him land in PA. Should be years of great battles with him and Carson.

Turi/JPW

Turi,didn't know about A newly signed Maddox contract at the time of last post.And JPW IS absolutly right! Steerers should pretty much do what their conterparts,the Bengals,did with Palmer.Especially if serious about why and what they picked for...a decade of solid QB'n.

Sounds like with the receiver squabbles though, whomever is at the helm...is in for a rough year.