Orakpo's Pro Day

You can find one guy who goes on and on about how Orakpo's workout went and other's that feel he's Gholston version 2.0.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/25/...orakpo-workout/

Posted by Mike Florio on March 25, 2009, 10:59 p.m. EDT

Earlier in the day, NFL.com's Gil Brandt offered up a glowing review of Brian Orakpo's Pro Day workout.

But not everyone feels that way.

Per one league source, some scouts viewed the linebacker/defensive end's workout as "brutal."

According to the source, Orakpo is regarded by some as having "great athletic abilities but bad football skills." It's prompting some to question whether Orakpo merits even a first-round pick.

If this sounds familiar, it should. There's a chance that Orakpo could be the latest in a line of "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" players, including past first-rounders like Vernon Gholston and Mike Mamula. (Then there's Alabama's Andre Smith, who as one reader pointed out after Smith's recent shirtless sprint "plays like Tarzan, looks like Jane.")

Even Gil Brandt, who is regarded by many as having a bias in favor of Texas football, acknowledges that Orakpo is "one of those guys that appears to play hard 90 percent of the time, but takes a vacation the other 10 percent."

It"s the kind of attitude that could put a coach or a G.M. on vacation 100 percent of the time if they pick Orakpo, and if he doesn't deliver.

I found it amusing that they used Andre Smith as an alternate comparison in saying he "Plays like Tarzan, looks like Jane."

You can find one guy who goes on and on about how Orakpo's workout went and other's that feel he's Gholston version 2.0.

Earlier in the day, NFL.com's Gil Brandt offered up a glowing review of Brian Orakpo's Pro Day workout.

Per one league source, some scouts viewed the linebacker/defensive end's workout as "brutal."

According to the source, Orakpo is regarded by some as having "great athletic abilities but bad football skills." It's prompting some to question whether Orakpo merits even a first-round pick.

If this sounds familiar, it should. There's a chance that Orakpo could be the latest in a line of "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" players, including past first-rounders like Vernon Gholston and Mike Mamula. (Then there's Alabama's Andre Smith, who as one reader pointed out after Smith's recent shirtless sprint "plays like Tarzan, looks like Jane.")

Even Gil Brandt, who is regarded by many as having a bias in favor of Texas football, acknowledges that Orakpo is "one of those guys that appears to play hard 90 percent of the time, but takes a vacation the other 10 percent."

It"s the kind of attitude that could put a coach or a G.M. on vacation 100 percent of the time if they pick Orakpo, and if he doesn't deliver.

I found it amusing that they used Andre Smith as an alternate comparison in saying he "Plays like Tarzan, looks like Jane."

Jeez. I don't care if it was the only woman in the jungle. I wouldn't touch a jane that looked like that with a ten foot pole!

Differing opinions?

About what?

Orakpo's 40 times rank 3rd best amongst all DL's and 5th best amongst LB's. His broad jump marks were the best posted at both of those positions and when all positions are included ranked 4th best overall. His bench press marks topped all DE's a LB's, and his vertical jump was best amongst all LB's and was bettered by only one DL. In fact, Orakpo sits atop nearly every measurable ranking for both DE's and LB's with the exception of 3-cone and short shuttle drills...and even there he ranks amongst the top 10 or 12.

No one that I know of disputes orakpo's athletic superiority, but I think folks are pretty much evenly split on whether he's also a football talent (ala Jevon Kearse) or not (ala Vernon Gholston, at least based on last year)

Me, I prefer a safer pick at 6, or at least a pick that is more safe than Orakpo.

That said, I would not be overly dismayed if he ultimately went to us at 6.

No one that I know of disputes orakpo's athletic superiority, but I think folks are pretty much evenly split on whether he's also a football talent (ala Jevon Kearse) or not (ala Vernon Gholston, at least based on last year)

Yeah, and that's fine up to a point. Let the debate rage about what does and doesn't show up on Orakpo's gameday film. But how can anyone claim Orakpo's workout was "brutal" when his combine and Pro Day numbers rank atop the rankings at two positions in nearly all of the most important categories?

how can anyone claim Orakpo's workout was "brutal" when his combine and Pro Day numbers rank atop the rankings at two positions in nearly all of the most important categories?

Just guessing here - aside from the measured events like the 40 and suchlike, there are the position drills.

Is it possible they were referring to a poor showing in the position drills?

(no idea, just puttin it out there)

how can anyone claim Orakpo's workout was "brutal" when his combine and Pro Day numbers rank atop the rankings at two positions in nearly all of the most important categories?

Just guessing here - aside from the measured events like the 40 and suchlike, there are the position drills.

(no idea, just puttin it out there)

i haven't seen any video of his pro day but i'm guessing you're right.

another thought could be that teams picking outside of the top ten are panning his work-out in hopes of him dropping a bit. that said i don't think the bengals will have an opportunity to draft him. i have to say though the comparisons to gholston scare the s**t out of me, even before the combine or his pro day there was talk of him being too stiff and a workout warrior type. i'm not sure what i think of him, so i can't say i'd be overly disaapointed if he was the pick at #6.

i didn't realize he was so injury prone, after readng his bio on a few sites, he missed 4 games in '07 and one game last year. also aside from last year he was an underacheiver production wise, with a total of 10 sacks in the previous 3 seasons combined.

he won essentially every award possible this year, but is this guy a case of a one year wonder?

apparently his consistency has been questioned and is said to have a hard time at the point of attack. the more i look into this guy, the more i think he has bust written all over him.

Yeah, now that you mention it. Pro Days are normally glorified track events, but Orakpo tweaked his hammy running the 40 at the combine and as a result didn't participate in the LB drills held at Indy. That left GM's pointing to his Pro day as their best opportunity to see how he looked dropping into pass coverage.

the more i look into this guy, the more i think he has bust written all over him.

My calendar says it's late March and I'm guessing by this point most Bengal fans have talked themselves out of every prospect who doesn't pass block. (And half of the ones who do.)

Ya most seem still seem to be salivating over the idea of taking Oher at 6#....

Jane's breasts are nowhere near the size of Andre Smith's...................

I don't think Orakpo makes it past Cleveland, unless they "reach" for Maybin or Everette Brown. They need a pash rusher badly and could use a WR with Stallworth likely done there and Joe J. retiring. Would they take Crabtree or Maclin with the pick?

Our pick will directly be tied in to who Seattle passes on between Monroe or Raji. I'm starting to get the feeling that the Bengals might like Andre Smith more than the draft pundits think. My personal pick would be Raji, as the player that could help the team the most but next season and in 5 years, based on draft projections.

I'm not sold on Orakpo and I've openly questioned how he fits into our defense as a projecion selection. A good barometer of that would be David Pollack, who might've been the best football player in the draft the year he came out and dropped all the way to the Bengals in the middle of the 1st round, because he was a projection selection as an OLB. People are crazy to think that he'll be a 3 down DE in the AFC North, replacing either Geathers or Odom. As far as tweeners go, he's third on my list behind Maybin and Brown, who I believe have much more upside than Orakpo.