Antoine Caldwell

I dont know....seems like he shifted positions a bit, and was ruled ineligible for 4 games in mid-season? Looks like he has size, at 6'4" 307lbs. but I know nothing of this guy, and we dont know how that weight is proportioned. Dont know if he has the lower-body strength/thick hips, dont know how strong he is. Does anybody know if the guy was at, or what he did at the combine?

He's big and thick. Wide back. Very strong lower body. Looked noticebly bigger than the other top C prospects when lining up side by side in drills. Kinda nasty. Kinda limited. Can reach the 2nd level but doesn't always hit the moving target. Built like an anchor. Solid character. Said to be a very hard worker. I remember he had some trouble shotgun snapping during Senior Bowl practices but that was true of other centers as well and may have been due to the QB rotation.

You guys must all be Big 10 fans. Let me put it this way, every SEC fan knows who this guy is, and I would love to have him.

Guilty as charged... However, I'm more than happy to listen to anyone who knows anything about a player that can come in right away and improve out sh*tty o-line. Fire away my SEC friend !!!

The only thing I could take a stab at with the guy (and Andre Smith) is that McFadden and Felix Jones ran behind those guys when they were there. I'm not sure, but if so, that should count for something...

McFadden and Felix played at Arkansas not Alabama! Caldwell is a great Center, he caused the Gators more problems than Andre Smith

The only thing I could take a stab at with the guy (and Andre Smith) is that McFadden and Felix Jones ran behind those guys when they were there. I'm not sure, but if so, that should count for something...

McFadden and Felix played at Arkansas not Alabama! Caldwell is a great Center, he caused the Gators more problems than Andre Smith

Oh yeah, disregard... :)

I stumbled over this looking for news about Alabama's Pro Day.

Antoine Caldwell

Overview

Defines the word "stalwart" with his steady, durable play in the middle of the Tide's offensive line. In fact, the only games he has missed over the past four seasons came during a four-game suspension for being part of a textbook scandal at Alabama in 2007. An immediate standout, Caldwell earned Freshman All-American honors playing guard, SEC accolades as a sophomore and junior at center and closed out his career by earning consensus All-American praise as a senior. Caldwell lacks the footwork to fit in every NFL offense, but his size, physicality and aggression make him an intriguing fit for a drive blocking scheme. Had an arm span of 34 inches and a hand span of 10 1/2 inches at the combine.

High School

One of four offensive linemen signed by the Tide in 2004, Caldwell graded 85 percent blocking efficiency as a junior at Lee-Montgomery and only gave up one sack the entire year. He was a first-team All-State selection his senior year and was ranked the No. 10 player in Alabama by SuperPrep magazine.

Analysis

Positives: Good height and plays with a wider base than his weight may signal. Excellent burst after the snap, getting up into his man very quickly to create a gap or pass protect. Strong enough to put tackles on the ground, but quick enough to get to the outside shoulder of either guard to help protect the quarterback. Strong, active hands to engage the defender and can drive defenders off the ball. Smart player who makes line calls. Adept at the shotgun snap. Durable. Four-year starter.

Negatives: Could be more aware and help the quarterback as plays break down. Lacks elite lateral quickness to get down the line or get to linebackers in combo or zone blocks. Lumbers a bit when trying to get downfield to block.

You have to be thinking at this point in time that whomever the pick is at Center, they are probably in the mindset that he's going to be their starter from the onset. That being the line of thought, I think it would be more wise to take whomever they feel is the best at the position when they have the chance.

I guess the point of my thread is that they don't have to use their 2nd rd. pick on a C if there is someone else that has slipped down. I think Caldwell could step in and be effective and they could get him in the 3rd, maybe 4th rd.

Bengals go center in 2nd they have Unger,Woods and maybe even mack available more likely..they put it off till the 3rd theres a chance those 3 and even caldwell are gone... well would be weird for 4 centers be taken in round 2 woods & unger considered to be able to play guard,tackle & Center ....

I guess the point of my thread is that they don't have to use their 2nd rd. pick on a C if there is someone else that has slipped down. I think Caldwell could step in and be effective and they could get him in the 3rd, maybe 4th rd.

Bengals go center in 2nd they have Unger,Woods and maybe even mack available more likely..they put it off till the 3rd theres a chance those 3 and even caldwell are gone... well would be weird for 4 centers be taken in round 2 woods & unger considered to be able to play guard,tackle & Center ....

There's always a run on players at a deep position. Last year it was OTs and then WR's in round 2. The good teams know when to anticipate these runs and then make a play for the player they want most, which sometimes involves a trade. Looking at how FA unfolded, I expect the run to start at the Top of the 2nd round with all 3 of the top C's (Unger, Mack and Wood) going in that round. Caldwell and Shipley could sneak into the 3rd and Luigs probably will be a 4th rounder. I think there are 5 or 6 Centers in the draft that could start for somebody next season.

Outside the top 4 (Mack, Unger, Wood, Caldwell) I have serious questions. Shipley about his strength as a drive blocker and Luigs about his intelligence.

Luigs intelligence is definitely a question, but Shipley is plenty strong enough to succeed in the NFL. He did 33 reps at the Combine and was also the Rimington Award Winner as the nation's best C in '08. The major knocks on him are that he had the shortest arms of any player at the Combine and is only 6'1'', which usually are considerable negatives for offensive linemen. I'd love to have him in the 4th or 5th round, although he might be gone before then. If we're truly running a zone-blocking scheme, this guy would be perfect for that and he is the most decorated C in the draft as a 3-time Rimington finalist.

From DraftScout.com

03/02/09 - 2009 ALL-RANG'S GANG: Center: A.Q. Shipley, Penn State: Voted the Big Ten Offensive Lineman of the Year and the winner of this year's Rimington Trophy as the nation's top center, Shipley might be considered the draft's elite center if his arms were two inches longer. His physicality and tenacity inside might be unmatched in this draft. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

Shipley has gotten the awards to show his merits, but the question of how will he fare in the NFL against the monster D-linemen he will go up against ?? At 6'1, he's considered small. At 297 lbs., he's considered light. His small arms aren't helping his case either. It's not to say he's going to be a bust, but I'm not to sure I would be overly excited about having him matchup against the NT's of the AFCN. I just don't see him as a fit for the Bengals.

That's the first I've heard about Luigs intelligence, but then again, I haven't really looked at him that hard. Even with that being the case, I can't find anyone willing to place Caldwell above Luigs in any rankings either.