You are all going to think I am nuts.

Wraith

Measurables aside. Curry is always making plays 5 yards from scrimmage. Most importantly, he doesn't force teams to account for him, he doesn't instill any fear in his opposition.

I read a post that I cannot now find asking why are all enamoured with Maualuga, the quick answer is Teams FEAR him. WRs start alligator arming in the 2nd quarter of games and QBs get tentative when they setup to throw because they are worried about getting hit. The last player I saw in college that could do this was Patrick Willis, before that it was Jonathan Vilma and before that it was Ray Lewis. There are Linebackers that make plays and there are Linebackers that change games, Maualuga changes games, Curry doesn't he just makes plays and that is fine if that is all you are looking for but I think Marvin is trying to recreate that Baltimore defense and if so we need Maualuga.

Oh and BTW I could care less rather he runs a 4.2 or a 5.2 I have seen all I need to see from him on film....speed was the knock on Suggs too, how did that turn out...As for Maualuga's production.... here are his four year totals.

2008: he had 79 tackles, including 2.5 for losses (with 3 sacks), plus 2 INTs (one returned for a TD 48 yards vs. Ohio State) and 4 deflections

2007: he had 79 tackles, including 10.5 for losses of 40 yards (with 6 sacks for minus 32 yards), plus 1 fumble recovery, 1 forced fumble, 1 interception (returned for 19 yards) and 3 deflections

2006: he had a 78 tackles, including 5 for losses of 17 yards (with 2 sacks for minus 8 yards), an interception, 3 deflections and a forced fumble.

2005: he had 37 tackles, including 4.5 for losses of 23 yards (with an 8-yard sack), plus he had 2 forced fumbles, 2 deflections and an interception that he returned 9 yards.

273 tackles 22.5 for losses and 12 sacks in 3+ years as a starter, oh and BTW he has been the unquestioned leader of the best defense in football for 3 straight years.

Woah, Curry is no Derrick Brooks. Never compare them again. Maybe in 10 years but not even close. Never will be a Derrick Brooks. He should only be compare to himself. Let him make his own name.

Not really comparing the players, only their playing style as LB's and their similar skill sets. Curry is not a pash rusher, but he has the ability to play 3-4, 4-3, inside or outside. He is also one of the fastest LB's in this draft, as Brooks was coming out. Brooks is a HOF'er but I think that Curry has the ability to be one of the best LB's in the league, very early on in his career.

If Curry is Derrick Brooks then Maualuga is Ray Lewis, who would you want? I want Lewis on my team because he makes other people on the defense better.

Check out these two links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp1dUZUMXxc Rey's highlight video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEwCf7huMgs Aaron's highlight video

And judge for yourself. Again not saying Curry is not going to be a very good NFL Player I just don't see him being great.

Here is the reason why I keep harping on Maualuga, he is the one player who I think will be better as a Bengal than he will be with any other team, Why? Because he and Rivers are like brothers and they have both played their best ball together. Zimmer's high intensity and aggresive scheme fits perfectly with Maualuga's style.

I think Zimmer will push for Orakpo if he is available otherwise I think they will go for Maualuga.

By the way, how great would the draft look if we got Maualuga and Barwin?

If Curry is Derrick Brooks then Maualuga is Ray Lewis, who would you want? I want Lewis on my team because he makes other people on the defense better.

And judge for yourself. Again not saying Curry is not going to be a very good NFL Player I just don't see him being great.

Here is the reason why I keep harping on Maualuga, he is the one player who I think will be better as a Bengal than he will be with any other team, Why? Because he and Rivers are like brothers and they have both played their best ball together. Zimmer's high intensity and aggresive scheme fits perfectly with Maualuga's style.

I think Zimmer will push for Orakpo if he is available otherwise I think they will go for Maualuga.

Amen. I feel the same way about Rey. He is just the type of player that inspires the rest of the defense to play better. He will have such a bigger impact than an OT at #6 because they can still get a OT in another round that can play, but you can't find a Rey type LB in another round.

rey didn't have any sacks this year as far as i could tell:

no mention of any here:

http://www.conquestchronicles.com/ncaaf/pl...g.mfoot-p.49678

or here

http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingrepo...ey-Maualuga.php

http://www.cfbstats.com/2008/player/657/80966/index.html

i like jasper brinkley he has more size than rey and is also a thumper. he can be had in the third round or later.

his combine performance seems to indicate his leg is heeled. he was super productive in his only pre-injury season.

i see where the confusion is, he had three sacks in the 2008 rose bowl against illinois, but those are added to his 2007 stats.

i was pretty sure he didn't have a sack this year, living on the west coast i saw all but one of usc's games (against UCLA, it was my birthday) they were fun to watch, but i'm telling you 75% of the time i forgot he was even playing (with the exception of the ohio st. game, when he was everywhere). he's nasty and when he hits, he hits hard, but he misses a lot of tackles because he's constantly trying to land the knock-out blow.

if the staff decides he's the man at six i gotta go with their assessment, it is their job after all. but from what i've seen i'm not sure he's worth the money he'll be owed there.

I like the thought of Brinkley in the later rounds, but coming off what was called a "nasty" knee injury, he has been noted as losing a step and not being the same player since the injury. For his size, he did much better than I expected at the combine. Finished very well in a handful of areas. The knee injury is the only concern there and if not for that, he would go MUCH higher.

Rey ?? I'll leave it to the Bengals to figure him out because I can't say I can figure him out...

Rey didn't have any sacks this year but was more of a scheme thing thing his production...As for bigger LB eh 6'2 260 is a pretty big linebacker so don't think you have to worry about size....

6'1 3/4 249 at the combine- still pretty big-fifth biggest (weight) LB at the combine

I know Combine stats are overrated, but ESPN noted that there was a PUNTER that did more bench press reps than Rey and ran over .3 seconds faster, to boot.

Rey is a good player, but I think he's 70% hype and 30% player, as most of those USC guys are. They were comparing Reggie Bush to Gale Sayers coming out.

Please.

Sayers played only 6 full seasons and still made it to the HOF.

As far as Rey goes, as I've said before, he should hope that he goes to a team with some space-eating DT's, where he can run. Our guys are 1-gap types, so I don't think it's a match. He struggles badly disengaging blockers (which was Ahmad Brooks downhall here, amongst other things), which is why he frequently disappears for long stretches in games. For comparison, Dhani Jones is one of the best we've ever had taking on and shedding blocks, and that comes from his experience as a SLB for most of his career.

Rey didn't have any sacks this year but was more of a scheme thing thing his production...As for bigger LB eh 6'2 260 is a pretty big linebacker so don't think you have to worry about size....

6'1 3/4 249 at the combine- still pretty big-fifth biggest (weight) LB at the combine

I know Combine stats are overrated, but ESPN noted that there was a PUNTER that did more bench press reps than Rey and ran over .3 seconds faster, to boot.

Rey is a good player, but I think he's 70% hype and 30% player, as most of those USC guys are. They were comparing Reggie Bush to Gale Sayers coming out.

Please.

Sayers played only 6 full seasons and still made it to the HOF.

As far as Rey goes, as I've said before, he should hope that he goes to a team with some space-eating DT's, where he can run. Our guys are 1-gap types, so I don't think it's a match. He struggles badly disengaging blockers (which was Ahmad Brooks downhall here, amongst other things), which is why he frequently disappears for long stretches in games. For comparison, Dhani Jones is one of the best we've ever had taking on and shedding blocks, and that comes from his experience as a SLB for most of his career.

And Oher did 21 yet you would be happy with him wouldn't you? a 310 lb linemen....21 reps......

You have problem with USC players? I for one love Carson & Keith,But I guess we need mroe Craig Krenzals on the team........

. He struggles badly disengaging blockers

Um one of his perks is he can shed blockers...Willis is the one who came out with that being a downside.....

it's not that i don't think he's a pretty good player i just wanted to clear up some misinformation and strip away the layer of hype that must have added that extra 11 pounds he lost before the combine.

i am officially done bashing rey maualuga.

Still the 2nd biggest MLB at the combine only 3 lbs shy of Jasper Brinkley

PS,Most talked about Rey being a top 10 pick last year,Yet he stays in school & has another good season but but plays more in the system rather then for himself and all suddenly he's a late 1st rounder /2nd rounder....... :huh:

I'll do ya one more. If Curry is Derrick Brooks and Rey Maualuga is Ray Lewis, then Jason Phillips is the next Zach Thomas. Phillips is solid in every aspect of the game and he would be like having a coach on the field. Plus, we don't have to burn a first rounder to get him. PROTECT CARSON FIRST!

PROTECT CARSON FIRST!

Is a Probowl QB with a elite passprotecting LT going to get us to the superbowl? Defense wins championships take tackle outside of the 1st.

rush the passer and those are

Ding ding ding

All recent Superbowl champions had superb passrush Steelers,Giants,Colts,Buccaneers & Ravens....Take Orakpo either have him as the DE/LB hybrid or Geathers who was more successful as a situational passrusher then a starting end.

PROTECT CARSON FIRST!

Is a Probowl QB with a elite passprotecting LT going to get us to the superbowl? Defense wins championships take tackle outside of the 1st.

rush the passer and those are

Ding ding ding

All recent Superbowl champions had superb passrush Steelers,Giants,Colts,Buccaneers & Ravens....Take Orakpo either have him as the DE/LB hybrid or Geathers who was more successful as a situational passrusher then a starting end.

Drafting one pass rusher isn't going to get us over the top in one year, but drafting a top offensive lineman can keep Palmer from getting killed next season. I think Palmer is one serious injury away from being ruined. That happens and you might as well look at ten more years of drafting bust QBs and not even making the playoffs. Has last season already faded from your mind?

I think it's really all going to come down to Levi Jones now that Andrews is gone. If the Bengals think Jones is healthy and can return to his '05 form than I think were are set at the tackle position, but if Jones is going to play like he has the last couple seasons then offensive tackle has to be a top priority in the draft. A lot of people are on here saying we should wait until the third round to find a right tackle, but look at past drafts. It is extremely rare to find a tackle that can start as a rookie that was drafted outside of the first two rounds. We struck gold with Anthony Collins and I do not expect it to happen again anytime soon.