Marvin from the Combine

HAPPYJAQ

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/cont...=7&cxcat=25

Looks like we're not going to be drafting an OT at 6.

I'm thinking more and more this pick is going to be Orakpo, unless Mark Sanchez goes 3rd to KC. Putting it all together from what Zimmer said about impact players and getting more production, how they need more pass rushers, it just makes sense. Also, the way they've talked in the positive about getting more Production from Simpson and Caldwell makes you think the Bengals believe they're good at WR, with possibly Kelly Washington to replace T.J.

It's also interesting that as bad as our line was, you haven't heard from the Bengals that they are looking at a massive overhaul of the line. They've only said they are attempting to resign Andrews. I think they must figure they have some of the answers already in-house.

I also think back to the report yesterday that the Bengals interviewed every OL there makes you think they'll be looking later in the draft, opposed to the 1st round pick.

Jay Hayes is running the DL drills and has used Michael Johnson as the demo for the drills. He is a freak of an athlete and I'd be happy with him in the 3rd.

I wouldn't rule out an OT at #6, I think either Monroe or Smith will fall to us and we must remember that the pre-draft is a game of poker and nothing said by a coach leading up the draft should be taken as anything but a bluff to try and get another player to show his cards early.

the thing that most struck from that article was marvin saying the senior bowl gave them a head start, but the combine was where the real evaluations begin. in reading combine related articles all weekend the one thing that constantly was said by coaches and scouts was how the combine was overrated in terms of giving players grades. it was repeated by most that teams have grades on these players and their work-outs only serve to tweak the grades. charles fisher on thornton's blog said twice that most teams don't change their player grades dramatically because of the combine.

it wasn't a direct quote from marvin so maybe i'm missing the spirit of what he was saying, i just thought, in particular, that part was a departure from everything i'd read from everyone else.

The thing I like is that the team seems intent on getting an impact player and not drafting for need. I think the Bengals are comfortable with the OT's being Collins and Whitworth. Of these tackles, none of them are two-way LT's meaning, they don't pass block and run block equally well, like a Joe Thomas or Jake Long. The closest would be Monroe and he could be gone before they pick. I like Jason Smith a lot, but thinks it's going to take 2-3 years for him to develop into a reliable player run blocking in the AFC North.

The Bengals should be looking at getting a guy that can make game-changing plays in September and October, where we struggle every year.

Agree that the Senior Bowl has to give them a little head start into the process, but the combine should only serve to backup what they are already thinking, I would think. Then again, I don't know the inner workings, so who knows ?? As for Moreno at #6 ?? I just say no. I love the kid lower in a trade down, but there are still other players I would prefer in a trade down as well, so I think I would actually be a little disappointed even though I really think Moreno is a good RB.

The player I'm really hoping finds a way to us is Curry, but it's looking less and less likely. He would have to get by Cleveland and as much as Jenkins would be an immediate upgrade to the CB position, they run the 3-4 and need LB's...

it wasn't a direct quote from marvin so maybe i'm missing the spirit of what he was saying, i just thought, in particular, that part was a departure from everything i'd read from everyone else.

I'd say you're either guilty of reading too much or not enough into his remarks. Possibly both. Because he's consistently described the advantage as slight, small, or little each time he's been quoted. In fact, he used those words at least five times in Big C's article.

Oh, and in an earlier article he was quoted about how the biggest break from coaching the Senior Bowl was the chance it gave the coaching staff to put last season behind them quickly and in surroundings that were decidely less negative than the 'Nati.

I'm really starting to hope they trade the pick down and get a guy like Aaron Maybin, Everett Brown or Connor Barwin in the mid-1st round, while picking up a 2nd in the deal (where we can get an OL and RB in the 2nd round). That's the perfect scenario, IMO.

Imagine a Maybin, Eric Wood and Andre Brown draft.

Or better yet a Maybin, Beanie Wells, Phil Loadholt draft.

The possibilities, if they trade down and get good value, are endless.