• Albert Haynesworth
    • Julius Peppers
    • Other
  2. 2. What FA do you want on Offense

• Derrick Ward
    • Antonio Bryant
    • Matt Birk
    • Other

I got two things to discuss here. Number one is defensive FA and number two is Offensive FA and how we can use both to improve our team. I will discuss the one I believe to be more important first which is defense.

Two names come to mind when I think defense and FA.

Julius Peppers

Albert Haynesworth

Both players are under 30 and represent top 3 players at each of their respective positions and they would GREATLY improve our team.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nf...ory/467057.html

Above is an article suggesting that Peppers may be looking to leave Carolina. I understand that we would have to sign either to a max contract with a ridiculous amount of money, but they are long time producers at their positions and I think they are worth the investment.

OFFENSE:

I believe the two people we need to discuss if we are talking offense considering we let TJ leave is a RB and C.

Matt Birk

Derrick Ward

Centers can play well until close to their 40th Bday and Birk is only 32 so he would be a good pickup for at least three years. Ward is in his mid 20's and would at least buy us the option of not drafting a RB this year in the draft to high. With the second round pick we would have used on a Center we can now get a WR and get rid of Chad Johnson for a first rounder which we could use to get Laurentis in the middle of the first.

We could end up with a draft looking something like this:

6th- OT

16th- LB

2nd- WR

We could then look at adding depth at key positions and maybe adding another TE to get rid of Kelly.

With drafting a new Center, we may need to target a FA Center as well to help being him along. Then again, maybe not depending on how the coaching staff views the current situation, which I think sucks. Free agent RB ?? Give me Brandon Jacobs. And what free agent would I like to in stripes the most ?? Easy, Haynesworth. Is there even a need to discuss what he would bring to our defense ?? All of that being said, I fully intend on the Bengals not targeting any big name, big dollar free agents and with the uncapped year coming, I'm not sure that is the best way to go. Oh yeah, I don't think he's going to be leaving the Panthers, but Jordan Gross LT is a FA and is an animal...

With drafting a new Center, we may need to target a FA Center as well to help being him along. Then again, maybe not depending on how the coaching staff views the current situation, which I think sucks. Free agent RB ?? Give me Brandon Jacobs. And what free agent would I like to in stripes the most ?? Easy, Haynesworth. Is there even a need to discuss what he would bring to our defense ?? All of that being said, I fully intend on the Bengals not targeting any big name, big dollar free agents and with the uncapped year coming, I'm not sure that is the best way to go. Oh yeah, I don't think he's going to be leaving the Panthers, but Jordan Gross LT is a FA and is an animal...

I to would much rather have Brandon Jacobs, but I don't think the Giants will let him leave. That is why I say Ward. We can still get a good C in the third round, but if we signed Birk we wouldn't have to spend a second rounder on one.

I'm guessing Santucci is not going to make it at C then? Possibly depth at the G positions? If we, by some miracle make the exact right move and get Birk at C then would we need to draft a C this year? I mean, if Santucci can at least perform reasonably and let's face it, after Guichac he'll look like the second coming of Braham, to act as C depth then maybe we can get that OT we need with one of the first two picks and then go after the best defensive prospect with the next couple of picks, or even (as some want to) look at RB.

I'm guessing Santucci is not going to make it at C then? Possibly depth at the G positions? If we, by some miracle make the exact right move and get Birk at C then would we need to draft a C this year? I mean, if Santucci can at least perform reasonably and let's face it, after Guichac he'll look like the second coming of Braham, to act as C depth then maybe we can get that OT we need with one of the first two picks and then go after the best defensive prospect with the next couple of picks, or even (as some want to) look at RB.

I really don't think we need a RB in the draft unless it is like the fourth round. You can get great backs late. I would like to see us get Birk and I think he would go for it especially if we tell him we plan on drafting an OT at 6. He would have the chance to come in and start from day one and help get credit for turning an offense around. I think our draft will go like this:

Round 1- OT or best Defensive player

If we decide to take a defensive player in the first round then we take an OT in round 2. With the depth at OT I think that may be a serious probability.

I actually think there is a better-than-even chance our new center is already on the team, ie Andrew Crummey, who was 4year starter and 3rd team all-american as a senior at maryland at OG and has the smarts and maturity that is needed at this position.

My best guess: If they take a center high, they're looking at Crummey as a OG; and if they do not take a center (or they take one in the late rounds), they're putting Crummey in that spot.

I really don't think we need a RB in the draft unless it is like the fourth round. You can get great backs late. I would like to see us get Birk and I think he would go for it especially if we tell him we plan on drafting an OT at 6. He would have the chance to come in and start from day one and help get credit for turning an offense around. I think our draft will go like this:

Round 1- OT or best Defensive player

If we decide to take a defensive player in the first round then we take an OT in round 2. With the depth at OT I think that may be a serious probability.

Sorry I wasn't clear about that. I didn't mean to advocate going with RB in the fist couple of rounds. I was thinking 3rd at the earliest. I agree with you. In a two back system, good solid RBs can be had in the mid rounds no problem. It all depends on whether we get some good FA pickups and as somebody else pointed out on another thread - all is not lost this yr on that front. C and FB aren't exactly going to be chased by everyone so hopefully we strike gold on those two fronts. Will give us more more flexibility in the draft.

Well, being in Vikings land here in Sioux Falls and reading other Vikings web forums, many believe Birk has been in decline over the past few years and most could care less if he leaves should he be asking for a big pay day. I suppose if we could get him at a decent price, it wouldn't be a bad move, but if all he expects is a decent price, why would he leave the Vikings ?? We would only get him if we overpaid for his services, as we would with most FA's to come here. Knowing the Guychick was going to be a free agent, I would have liked them to get Crummey in for some snaps if they were truly thinking that is the way to go, but they didn't. Not to say that won't happen, just what I would have liked to have seen.

I think we draft a center in either the 2nd or 3rd, a RB at some point (maybe the 4th) AND a fullback (In the 5th) so we can send JJ's fatass on his way.