IF we were to draft D with the 1st pick can it make us a top 10

HoTbOy

Just got through watching Pittsburgh beat SD when they flashed a stat on the screen that the top 3 defenses are playing next Sunday in Pittsburgh,Baltimore, and Philly...My ? is if we were to draft a top defensive player can he make us a top 10 D (seeing that we finished 12th this year) and the playoffs next year, our offense used to be better than Baltimore, Pitt and Philly...When we were playing decent we would split with Pitt and beat Baltimore both games, our offense is used to playing these 2 every year, if we can split with them,and they are in the top 5 in D every year then we should be able to deal with anyone...So is there a player in the draft that can get us in the top 10?

It's going to take more than one person to put this defense into the top ten. That being said, the only reason we finished at #12 is due to playing teams like Washington, Cleveland, and Kansas City the last three of the season. I concede that Washington is better, but the other two were garbage at the end of the season.

Depending on how things fare for our opponents in free agency and the draft, the defense may keep rolling with it at least appearing to be a weaker schedule than this years. I just like being able to have the discussion about our defense that doesn't include why they suck so bad !!!

I still say you have to ensure Carson's protection. However that gets done is fine by me, just make sure it happens. Be it the draft, a free agent, the luck of God, or whatever, just keep Carson from getting busted the F*CK up and this defense should be enough to put us back in the playoff hunt. I didn't say playoffs, just in the hunt. 8-8 is in the hunt...

It's going to take more than one person to put this defense into the top ten. That being said, the only reason we finished at #12 is due to playing teams like Washington, Cleveland, and Kansas City

Tired of hearing this is the only reason we finished with a 12th ranked defense is because we played crappy teams :| we use to finish 30-32nd playing crappy arse offenses.....Next comment will be Teams didn't have to put alot of points on us because our offense is so bad.....

That's why lions were blown out

7-42 by NO

25-48 by GB

7-34 by CH

14-38 by Jacks

13-31 by SF

20-38 by T.B

10-47 by Ten

PS,Chiefs were considered a solid offense no defense

That being said, the only reason we finished at #12 is due to playing teams like Washington, Cleveland, and Kansas City the last three of the season.

Well this is only partially true.

The Bengals opponents being on autopilot during the 2nd half due to a lopsided score always helps too.

Case in point the 2nd Baltimore game. All they did was run during the 2nd half because they were already whipping us. But just looking at stats, "what an awesome pass defense we must have!" :lol:

It's going to take more than one person to put this defense into the top ten. That being said, the only reason we finished at #12 is due to playing teams like Washington, Cleveland, and Kansas City the last three of the season. I concede that Washington is better, but the other two were garbage at the end of the season.

Depending on how things fare for our opponents in free agency and the draft, the defense may keep rolling with it at least appearing to be a weaker schedule than this years. I just like being able to have the discussion about our defense that doesn't include why they suck so bad !!!

I still say you have to ensure Carson's protection. However that gets done is fine by me, just make sure it happens. Be it the draft, a free agent, the luck of God, or whatever, just keep Carson from getting busted the F*CK up and this defense should be enough to put us back in the playoff hunt. I didn't say playoffs, just in the hunt. 8-8 is in the hunt...

I do not completely agree with you.. I think we're ARE one IMPACT player away from being a playoff contender. Look at what just one player alone (Thurman) did for our defense in '05. Of course our offense will have to step it up next season as well, but I think our defense is one or two players away from becoming great.

Malugula's that one player that I'd be gunning for if I were Marvin... It wouldn't hurt to find a solid DT in Free Agency either ;)

I think that at this point, I would like to see ACurry or RMaualuga, I think that they could be the difference makers that we need to get the QB on D...I even like the fact that JThorton seems to be playing better at DE that at DT and wouldn't mind seeing him stay in a backup role...Another DT would be nice too even a decent 2nd tier DT...

Genuine question, where is our D ranked in points against? I have no clue - can't be all that high. Yeah yeah, I know yardage etc is indicative but that's all it is. I'd rather be middle of the pack yardage wise and hold teams to FGs and be top 5 or 10 in points against than the other way around.

With our first three picks we really should go O-line with two of them. Our O- line is lacking starting calibre and depth. Hopefully we get a nice pick up or two in FA too which will make the draft options all the better.

Genuine question, where is our D ranked in points against? I have no clue - can't be all that high. Yeah yeah, I know yardage etc is indicative but that's all it is. I'd rather be middle of the pack yardage wise and hold teams to FGs and be top 5 or 10 in points against than the other way around.

With our first three picks we really should go O-line with two of them. Our O- line is lacking starting calibre and depth. Hopefully we get a nice pick up or two in FA too which will make the draft options all the better.

Avg of 22.8 pts a game for a ranking of 19th.

12th was the panthers with 20.8 per game.

So it's not an argument that our defense improved from playing against sh*tty teams ?? And what offensive firepower do the Chiefs possess ?? Finishing towards the cellar for offense is far from what I would call solid so I must have missed that... You can be sick of the argument all you want, but it is what it is and even the official website acknowledged this fact...

So we finished #12 overall. We finished #15 against the pass and #21 against the run. We were also near the bottom in allowing 3rd down conversions, penalties commited by the defense, and time our defense spent on the field. We were middle of the road in points allowed.

I'll just disagree that we are only one person from the playoffs. I guess if the planets align and we are able to fill ALL the needs, get people healthy and stay that way, and get unexpected production from 3rd tier people you brought in as stop gaps then yeah, we are right there. Until the team can make that happen, I still can't see us any better than 8-8 next season.

The only defensive players I saw this year that I'd say have that kind of impact are Gerald McCoy, the DT from Oklahoma (just remember I said this, he'll be a superstar), and Taylor Mays from SC. The only problem is we are "OK" at both of those positions. However, I wouldn't hesitiate on McCoy if he comes out, just because he is so disruptive and with him playing next to Sims on passing downs it wouldn't matter if our ends weren't getting pressure - because the guys up the middle would drive the QB's right into their laps. In Curry's defense, I only keyed in on him in one game, and that was against Army's option attack in the bowl - which was assignment football. That said, even if his assigment was the pitchman, he was uber disciplined and made his presence known.

Are we one player away from top 10 D? Easily. Are we in Desperate need of a complimentary ball-control offense and need two lineman? Absolutely. So who are we best served by? I don't have a clue, lol.

Rather than ignore the crap teams we played, look at the playoff teams we played and the scores,

Ravens two losses 17-10 and 34-3

Steelers two losses 38-10 and 27-10

Titans 24-7

Giants 26-23

Eagles 13-13

Colts 35-3

As I remember the games, we were only in two games though, the Giants and Eagles games. The rest were blow outs regardless of score.

0-7-1 against playoff teams show we aren't very good. These mostly lopsided losses show we are really not competitive either on defense or offense. So while I think they have to pick a day 1 LT starter in round 1, it wouldn't shock me if they went for defense. Again, with so many holes on both sides anything is possible. The decision will not be hard though at #6. Is there a DT, DE or ILB worth a #6 pick? Is there a LT worth a #6 pick? Not too many choices really.

One thing the weekend showed was that winning teams have dominate olines and dlines. We have neither.

this team needs upgrades at LB, DE and CB.

Overall depth at LB needs looking at.

Odom and Geathers will get another year but depth must be addressed.

At CB, Joseph will need to be healthy or risk being demoted. A day 1 CB could help with this.

I'd say this team is 3 defensive players away from being a top 10 D.

Same can be said for the offense. Need a C, FB and OT.

This team is 6 players from being consistently good.

Defensive stats (YPG, RYPG, PYPG) are ALWAYS misleading. Bottom Line: we were middle of the pack in scoring defense, below average in take-aways, and SUCKED at getting sacks & QB knock-downs and "hurries".

Since we are committed to the 4-3, we need to get pressure with our down linemen - and it's not a good year in FA or the draft for DE's.

Brian Orakpo (Texas) will be a top 10 pick.

Greg Hardy, Michael Johnson, & Tyson Jackson might be there at #36, but I doubt it.

George Selvie, Clint Sintim, Connor Barwin, and Everette Brown are smaller, 3-4 rush LB types (~ 255 lbs).

There's a host of others that will be available in rounds 3 to 7, but I don't trust the Front Office to find a good one, and certainly don't expect Jay Hayes to be able to coach them. :(

Bottom Line - we'll be livin' (& dyin') with the blitz again in 2009.

I think we're ARE one IMPACT player away from being a playoff contender.

Clearly, you are related to the Brown family

How many injuries did we have this year smart guy? We were absolutely decimated all year long. The offensive line didn't help either... This team is better than what this year entailed.

Rather than ignore the crap teams we played, look at the playoff teams we played and the scores,

Titans 24-7

Giants 26-23

Eagles 13-13

Colts 35-3

As I remember the games, we were only in two games though, the Giants and Eagles games. The rest were blow outs regardless of score.

0-7-1 against playoff teams show we aren't very good. These mostly lopsided losses show we are really not competitive either on defense or offense. So while I think they have to pick a day 1 LT starter in round 1, it wouldn't shock me if they went for defense. Again, with so many holes on both sides anything is possible. The decision will not be hard though at #6. Is there a DT, DE or ILB worth a #6 pick? Is there a LT worth a #6 pick? Not too many choices really.

One thing the weekend showed was that winning teams have dominate olines and dlines. We have neither.

Injuries, Injuries, Injuries... How much must I pound this into your thick skulls!? How many starters did we loose? Our coach also failed to get this team ready for the season.

If we go defense, it has to be either Aaron Curry LB Wake Forest, Brian Orakbo DE Texas, Rey Maualuga LB or B.J. Raji DT Boston College. If not then OL

There isn't a DT in this draft worthy of a top 10 pick so we need to stay away from that! I want Okopo

BJ Raji of BC is a legit top 10 pick, just check Mayock or McShay or Kiper, here's what he did against VaTech (remember them)? The other thing is and the Bengals arent saying much about it and the draft gurus arent picking up on this but the Bengals have quite a few LBs filing for free aency, I think 4 or 5 LBs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM3AmHWAGEg

Titans 24-7

Giants 26-23

Eagles 13-13

Colts 35-3

Injuries, Injuries, Injuries... How much must I pound this into your thick skulls!? How many starters did we loose? Our coach also failed to get this team ready for the season.

so, now you say we are one coach away?

Titans 24-7

Giants 26-23

Eagles 13-13

Colts 35-3

How many brain cells have escaped your skull? The Bengals started 0-4 with few injuries. They won the most games when they had the most injuries.