Malcolm Jenkins??

HAPPYJAQ

As I know there are more than a few OSU fans on this board, I am curious to know of your opinions on Malcolm Jenkins. I've read everything from he is the best CB prospect since Champ Bailey to he's a potential big-time bust. I was quietly hoping that the Bengals would have taken Cromartie or McElvin last year (who are both having good years), as I am not sure if Joseph will ever reach his potential, due to nagging injuries. Any thoughts?

I think that behind Hall, the Bengals have HUGE question marks at CB. In today's NFL, you need 3 starting caliber CB's to match all the 3 WR sets that teams run. The Cowboys drafted 2 CB's in the draft (including a 1st rounder) and still traded for Pacman with Henry and Newman already signed to multi-year deals. So did the Chargers.

Joseph (who is a free agent in '10)has missed a good portion of every season since he entered the NFL and David Jones has been decent, but cannot be viewed as more than an marginal nickel or dime back. Hall, himself, is a solid #2 CB. We still need another difference maker in Zimmer's man-to-man scheme. I believe that this could be the year that the Bengals could trade down and if Smith and Monroe are gone (not sold on Oher yet), it's logical the Bengals could be looking at the best CB on the board. I don't think they would go DE, as Geathers and Odom are already carrying heavy cap numbers and Fanene signed to an extension just this past offseason. Rucker also is coming off his best season as a pro. I don't believe that a RB in round 1 would be a fit, either. Beanie Wells seems to be a lot like Benson, so not complementary back ideas with him. Sims has played well and looks like a full-time starter alongside Peko next year. That would leave LB and CB and I think the Bengals like the quartet of Rivers/Jeanty/Johnson/Jones. If you watched this team get decimated by the pass against the Giants (especially in OT), Ravens, Texans and Colts, you can see we need more depth with starting potential, if not an upgrade.

Hard not to like Malcolm Jenkins. He's extremely talented, good size,speed, and hits like a safety. But hard to imagaine the Bengals trading down, let alone taking another corner after taking 2 in the last 3 drafts in the first round.

I do think we need to add another cornerback. A bigger physical corner would be ideal for our nickel packages that would allow Hall or Joseph to move inside on third down.

It is hard to see them taking a CB again in r1 with glaring needs at O-line, DE and LB.

I also think he is a late r1-r2 player in a year that is weak for CB's. If he is there in r2, then, hey, grab him. Vontae Davis, Ill. underclassmen, is also very very good.