Shawn Andrews, Anyone?

HoosierCat

Florio relays word out of Philly that Stacy's bro may be wearing out his welcome...

EAGLES CONSIDERED TRADING ANDREWS?

Posted by Mike Florio on July 25, 2008, 1:59 p.m. EDT

Various readers tell us that Anthony Gargano of WIP radio in Philly reported on Friday that the Eagles discussed internally the possibility of trading guard Shawn Andrews, who is an unexcused absence from training camp.

Though the team still isn’t calling the situation a holdout, we’re still struggling to understand why he’s not there.

Gargano also reported that Andrews will be fined for his absence. The CBA permits daily fines in excess of $15,000.

The concern apparently is that Andrews has at times been emotional, and the team is apparently getting frustrated.

Andrews was a first-round pick in 2004. He is signed through 2015.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/07/25/...rading-andrews/

Though his agent says Shawn's absence isn't about money, he apparently signed some really long-term deal (like 9 years) which is now laughingly below market value. So...if as some have claimed, part of Stacy's reluctance to stay here involved wanting to play with big brother...and if Shawn really is on the block...and if his contract is really that manageable (per SI his cap number this year is $5.1 million but that would include some signing bonus proration the Bengals wouldn't be responsible for)...well, it probably still wouldn't work out. But it's a fun thought.

I don't know what it would cost us but Shawn Andrews would arguably be the best offensive linemen on this team and no doubt the best Guard, but we are the Bengals so no point in getting hopes up about chasing great players.

This kind of shows the intelligent level of some of these guys... Why would you sign a long term contraact knowing that in a few years other players salaries will surpass that and your only recourse is to sit out and pout about it?? No I don't want Shawn Andrews and his large salary when we need the money to go to the defense for upgrades...

This kind of shows the intelligent level of some of these guys... Why would you sign a long term contraact knowing that in a few years other players salaries will surpass that and your only recourse is to sit out and pout about it??

Well, I think that's sort of the point about Stacy's reluctance to sign a long-term deal. He's in no hurry, because he knows the $$$ will only get bigger. Learning from big bro's mistake.

No I don't want Shawn Andrews and his large salary when we need the money to go to the defense for upgrades...

Well, that's just it, Shawn is a relative bargain right now. He signed a 7-year extension that kicks in after this season. It totals about $40 million per media reports, but $10 million of that is bonus money. So the Bengals would be looking at getting him for 7 years at $4 million + change a pop average -- peanuts for a top-tier G/T.

Of course, it isn't that simple and Shawn would probably want a bigger payday as part of the deal...but with Willie winding down, Whitworth apparently in no rush to extend early either, and Bobbie Williams a FA after '09...like I said, it probably doesn't work out but I would think it's worth the FO doing the math on it, y'know?

I think the payday they just gave Whit makes this particular bit of speculation even more far-fetched than it was to begin with. That said, something is likely to give next year. Either they nail Stacy down or spend a high draft pick on a tackle, IMHO.