Need help with TV.

My RCA Television will not stop turning off by itself every fifteen minutes. Then I'll turn it back on and then it will just constantly turn off every time I turn it back on. I was looking through the menu but I didn't see anything that cause this to happen. Maybe I don't know what I'm looking for? Please help!

My RCA Television will not stop turning off by itself every fifteen minutes. Then I'll turn it back on and then it will just constantly turn off every time I turn it back on. I was looking through the menu but I didn't see anything that cause this to happen. Maybe I don't know what I'm looking for? Please help!

It sounds to me that you have a bad capacitor in your power supply circuit. Unless you have experience soldering and unsoldering electronic components, it's nothing you can fix. A decent T.V. repair shop could repair this fairly quick, but with the costs of a new one these days, most people just buy a new one.

It sounds to me that you have a bad capacitor in your power supply circuit. Unless you have experience soldering and unsoldering electronic components, it's nothing you can fix. A decent T.V. repair shop could repair this fairly quick, but with the costs of a new one these days, most people just buy a new one.

Ok thank's.

Funny thing is Billy, when I first read that, I thought you were going into joke mode. The only thing that came to mind is, the "Flux Capacitor" from the Back to the Future movies... Oh well, I'll just stick to being a medical NCO.

No jokes Mark. I've done electronic repair for a living a few times in my life. Mostly while working on highly encrypted Tactical Radio Systems while working for Wulfsberg Electronics. I'm proud to say some of the systems I personally assembled and tested are currently installed aboard Air Force One.

Good job with that Billy !!! Now I know who to call when I have questions !!!

WHODEY !!!

Here's some easy tips to do you're own electronic repair of intermittent problems without things like a multimeter, or an oscilloscope.

#1: UNPLUG THE DEVICE!

#2: Remove the back/top/whatever panel and without touching anything, carefully examine the circuit board/s visually for signs of heat damage. The component in this usually darkened area will likely be the cause of your problem.

#3: Have a can of freeze spray in your possession. It's available at places like Radio Shack.

#4: REMAINING CLEAR OF THE BOARD, plug it back in and turn it on preferably with a remote, or through a switch powered wall outlet.

#5: Wait to the failure to occur, and then carefully hit the component in the suspected area with the freeze spray. If the device begins to function normally again, you've found your problem.

That was the easy part. Finding and installing a replacement is where things get difficult. Again you must have at least a basic knowledge in the use of a soldering iron, and the use of an ESD strap. If no strap is available, be sure to ground yourself by touching the chassis before you touch ANYTHING ELSE!

If it's a resistor, it's imperative you get one of the exact same ohms value for replacement. These are coded through the use a a colored stripe system that indicates their value. Capacitors give you a little lee way. You can use a slightly higher farad value capacitor in a circuit, BUT NEVER lower. The capacitance of certain capacitors decreases as the component ages. In ceramic capacitors, this is caused by degradation of the dielectric. The type of dielectric and the ambient operating and storage temperatures are the most significant aging factors, while the operating voltage has a smaller effect.

KiNg-oRaNgE's problem is a classic capacitance failure seeing as how the T.V. initially operates normally, then shuts off. Capacitors have normally two legs which attaches them to the board. Once removed, (while paying close attention to it's -/+ polarity!) take the part to an electronics shop and ask for a replacement. Then install the new part in the position you removed the old one.

RCA TV's are junk. I had the same problem with one. It was the first TV I bought, I'll never buy RCA again. It was a 32" tube and the piece broke down right after the one year warranty. It would intermitantly turn on/off and eventually just quit all together. One year out of TV is crap. RCA is garbage. Buy a Samsung, Sony, or Sharp. Mitsubishi and Toshiba would be my next best.

Good job with that Billy !!! Now I know who to call when I have questions !!!

WHODEY !!!

Here's some easy tips to do you're own electronic repair of intermittent problems without things like a multimeter, or an oscilloscope.

#1: UNPLUG THE DEVICE!

#2: Remove the back/top/whatever panel and without touching anything, carefully examine the circuit board/s visually for signs of heat damage. The component in this usually darkened area will likely be the cause of your problem.

#3: Have a can of freeze spray in your possession. It's available at places like Radio Shack.

#4: REMAINING CLEAR OF THE BOARD, plug it back in and turn it on preferably with a remote, or through a switch powered wall outlet.

#5: Wait to the failure to occur, and then carefully hit the component in the suspected area with the freeze spray. If the device begins to function normally again, you've found your problem.

That was the easy part. Finding and installing a replacement is where things get difficult. Again you must have at least a basic knowledge in the use of a soldering iron, and the use of an ESD strap. If no strap is available, be sure to ground yourself by touching the chassis before you touch ANYTHING ELSE!

If it's a resistor, it's imperative you get one of the exact same ohms value for replacement. These are coded through the use a a colored stripe system that indicates their value. Capacitors give you a little lee way. You can use a slightly higher farad value capacitor in a circuit, BUT NEVER lower. The capacitance of certain capacitors decreases as the component ages. In ceramic capacitors, this is caused by degradation of the dielectric. The type of dielectric and the ambient operating and storage temperatures are the most significant aging factors, while the operating voltage has a smaller effect.

KiNg-oRaNgE's problem is a classic capacitance failure seeing as how the T.V. initially operates normally, then shuts off. Capacitors have normally two legs which attaches them to the board. Once removed, (while paying close attention to it's -/+ polarity!) take the part to an electronics shop and ask for a replacement. Then install the new part in the position you removed the old one.

That is an impressive, concise and practical procedure, Bengalszone Billy. I, for one, am impressed and now have a new tool in my electronics repair belt.

Hope I never need it with my RCA tv.

BTW that is pretty cool about Air Force 1, well done!

RCA TV's are junk. I had the same problem with one. It was the first TV I bought, I'll never buy RCA again. It was a 32" tube and the piece broke down right after the one year warranty. It would intermitantly turn on/off and eventually just quit all together. One year out of TV is crap. RCA is garbage. Buy a Samsung, Sony, or Sharp. Mitsubishi and Toshiba would be my next best.

Yeah I had my RCA for only 1 year also. I'm using my brothers Sony for now.