Magic Johnson in NASCAR!

Kirkendall

CONCORD, N.C. (AP) -- Basketball Hall of Famer Magic Johnson will serve as co-chairman of a new NASCAR committee on diversity.

Since his retirement, Johnson has been a successful businessman, using his own company to stimulate economic growth and development in urban areas around the country. That includes the 70 Starbucks Coffee locations and five movie theaters he owns.

Part of Johnson's duties will include helping NASCAR in creating a program to identify and develop black, Hispanic and women drivers and crew members. He also will advise NASCAR chief operating officer George Pyne on diversity issues.

"When you think about the NASCAR brand, it resonates everywhere,'' Johnson said Thursday.

"They have the No. 1 sports brand. I have the No. 1 urban brand. So bringing these two brands together, we hope that we can reach out to minorities across this country and introduce a wonderful sport that is already doing very, very, very well.''

NASCAR also announced the successful beginning of a minority program that has five drivers and six crewmen competing in its Dodge Weekly Series and Craftsman Truck Series. They were selected after a competition combine held in January.

Good move on Nascars part IMHO. For Nascar to continue growing and overtake the NFL as the #1 spectator sport, they MUST bring women and minorities into the mix!

Right now the closest thing to that Nascar has is Darrius Rucker, the lead singer from "Hootie and the Blowfish" and Sheryl Crow! Unfortunately neither of them drive a race car, but are Nascar fans.

The sport cannot remain the all white boy entity it currently is and continue to grow at it's current rate! I think the upper echelon of Nascar has realized this, and has taken this first decisive step to correct it!

I'm just bewildered as to where all these minority racers are going to come from. Maybe golf wondered the same thing until Tiger Woods showed up! B)

Good move on Nascars part IMHO. For Nascar to continue growing and overtake the NFL as the #1 spectator sport, they MUST bring women and minorities into the mix!

Right now the closet thing to that Nascar has is Darrius Rucker, the lead singer from "Hootie and the Blowfish" and Sheryl Crow! Unfortunately neither of them drive a race car, but are Nascar fans.

The sport cannot remain the all white boy entity it currently is and continue to grow at it's current rate! I think the upper echelon of Nascar has realized this, and has taken this first decisive step to correct it!

I'm just bewildered as to where all these minority racers are going to come from. Maybe golf wondered the same thing until Tiger Woods showed up! B)

Well, there are black race car drivers out there in the Late Model stocks...Actually, NASCAR has had a black Cup racer and he actually won a race...Wendell Scott....He's from my hometown....he had his shop a few blocks down from where I grew up....But that was decades ago. I know Bobby Hamilton has a black driver in the truck series as well. Also I believe I read that a year or so ago Hip-Hop artist Nelly (not sure) signed on to sponser a truck with his clothing label. It's all in how NASCAR markets it....

Well the only thing I can hope for, is his success bringing more minority drivers and owners into that realm.

* But in case you haven't heard.... Charles Barkley is being considered for MNF - That's right Monday Night Football as a sideline reporter ! :D

He's a great personality, but if he shows up drunk to another TNT basketball telecast I hope Kenny Smith punches him in the mouth! :rolleyes:

I remember reading that an ex-Xavier player was now racing. I wish I could remember his name but I think it was from the Larkin era. It was in the Cincinnati Enquirer not too long ago. If anybody knows please let me know,I'll be racking my brain for hours.

If I remember correctly he was a good rebounder. Billy, I know you follow X, can you throw me a name or two?

I'd like to point out that these are Chris's first two posts in the Nascar forum, so even talking about it starts bringing diversity to the sport! Let's hope that this is just the tip of the iceberg! B)

Actually Billy, I've posted here before, but everyone get's mad at me when I start talking about driving around in circles.. :lol: