Watched Steelers/Bengals yesterday. Disgusting

walzav29

What really jumped out to me was the complete lack of pressure the defense got on the QB. He had allllllllllllllllllllllll day to find his receivers. Justin Smith will not be missed. He just did not rush the QB, and after watching that I don't care if they drafted Joel Rifkin in the 6th round. We need some defense!

Justin Smith had no pass rushing skills. He tried to push every lineman in his way back to the QB. You'd think after so long some coach would've tried to teach him a spin move or something. Maybe they did, I don't know. I'm kinda glad he's gone.

His pass rushing skills were A+ compared to his ability to stay in his damned gap. "Motor" is a euphemism for "I'm a sucker for misdirection plays."

I would have been interested to see if a real DC (Zimmer) could have fixed that, but probably too late to teach an old dog new tricks.

Oh yeah, Smith was clearly entrenched in bad playing habits. Maybe he'll find some success for the 49ers and the bones they shelled out on him, but I got my doubts. I didn't understand franchising him last year.

I watched it as well, and then again later at night.

I noticed some things seeing it again (and again).

1. Kenny Watson is a very good RB. He is shifty and hit the hole NOW. Seeing him rip for 6, 8, 11 made me feel good.

2. ML and Brat call a terrible game. One drive they are just smoking the steelers D, the next they just flounder with what is called. When the game starts and Carson is 13-14 and 140+yrds, the right plays are called. Whther it is Carson calling them and being vetoed by Brat or vice-versa, it needs to get sorted out.

3. Leon Hall made very good progress during the year but was really outclassed vs Hines Ward/Holmes. Really no excuse, since the team mismanaged the process by not having an additional FA CB to ease the transition. Effectively, Hall's blown plays cost the game. pretty simple.

4. Justin Smith was poorly coached and their scheme was awful. Yes, he is a one move dude. Yes, he gets out of position. Yes, I am glad he is gone but physically, he had the tools. Said it before but he would have been a great LB. Being 3 yrds off the line would have helped his vision and let him flow to the ball. He has LB instincts.

5. The LB combo of Schelgel, Jeanty and Jones did better than I remembered but the D-line was atrocious. Smith and Thornton are terrible. Considering the continued character concerns on this team, I would consider keeping Thornton around as the senior mentor but he'd need to renogotiate his deal.

6. CJ was showoing the eary signs of his mental problems. He missed 3 passes that would have sustained drives or been a first down. Critical passes.

Summary, it was a winnable game that they just could not win.

What really jumped out to me was the complete lack of pressure the defense got on the QB. He had allllllllllllllllllllllll day to find his receivers. Justin Smith will not be missed. He just did not rush the QB, and after watching that I don't care if they drafted Joel Rifkin in the 6th round. We need some defense!

Rifkin was much better once he changed his name to OJ.

Watched it to. I saw a lot of players playing in that game who will be backups this year or are no longer with the team and the game was fairly competitve for the first 3 1/2 quarters. I think that gives the Bengals a lot of optimism for this season. I predict a 9-7 season and wild-card berth this year.

I wish they would have drafted Joel Rifkin......THAT DUDE KILLS.....Literally...

There will be no wildcard. The AFC North's schedules are brutal. I think it's division or bust. I believe they will win the division.

After thinking about that some more, I think you're right. The good news is that 9-7 moght be good enough to win the AFC Central this year.