Bengals Draft Summary and draft grades

jjakq27

http://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker#tab:dt-by-team|team-cin

Round 1, Pick 9 (9) Keith Rivers LB 6'3" 235 Southern Cal

Pick Analysis:The Bengals had a need at linebacker and Rivers should be able to make an immediate impact as a rookie. He played as a true freshman at USC in 2004 and started 36 games over the next three seasons. He's a versatile player with good instincts and great character.

Round 2, Pick 15 (46) Jerome Simpson WR 6'2" 190 Coastal Carolina

Pick Analysis:The Bengals have released one receiver this offseason and another has requested a trade. Simpson has big hands and long arms which is great for a wideout. He set school records with 157 receptions for 2,636 yards and 41 touchdowns. He will be given a chance to play meaningful snaps as a rookie.

Round 3, Pick 14 (77) Pat Sims DT 6'2" 310 Auburn

Pick Analysis:Sims only started this last year at Auburn after quitting school in 2005. But it's very seldom they let a guy quit and come back unless he's that good. He has similar burst off the ball to Glenn Dorsey and overcame some tough off-field issues in school, including the death of his sister.

Round 3, Pick 34 (97) (Compensatory selection) Andre Caldwell WR 6'1" 200 Florida

Pick Analysis:The 6-foot tall Caldwell recorded 185 receptions in college. The Bengals get great value in the third round - a guy who knows the ropes of how the NFL works with his brother, Reche, having played in the league for a number of years.

Round 4, Pick 13 (112) Anthony Collins OT 6'5" 317 Kansas

Pick Analysis:Collins has long arms and some left tackle skills, but he's raw and only played one year of high school football. In time, he could potentially project out to be a guard at the pro level.

Round 5, Pick 10 (145) Jason Shirley DT 6'5" 329 Fresno State

Pick Analysis:Shirley is reminiscent of Tony Siragusa but with better speed and not quite as much strength. Marvin Lewis may want to go back to his old Ravens 4-3 defensive scheme with the Bengals and this pick fits.

Round 6, Pick 11 (177) Corey Lynch FS 6'0" 205 Appalachian State

Pick Analysis:A special teams ace who can block kicks, Lynch has size at 6-3 and is able to fill in at safety. He ran an extremely impressive cone drill and the rest of his measurables were outstanding. He is a fantastic athlete.

Round 6, Pick 41 (207) (Compensatory selection) Matt Sherry, TE, Villanova

(Information not available)

Round 7, Pick 37 (244) (Compensatory selection) Angelo Craig DE 6'5" 235 Cincinnati

Pick Analysis:Craig played defensive end in college, but projects to be more of a linebacker in the pros because of his slim frame. Having played at the University of Cincinnati, he's a hometown favorite for the Bengals.

Round 7, Pick 39 (246) (Compensatory selection) Mario Urrutia WR 6'6" 232 Louisville

Pick Analysis:A very tall receiver, Urrutia flashed big-play ability with Louisville. He was one of Brian Brohm's favorite targets and is adept in jump-ball situations. Urrutia would have been well-served to stay in school an extra year but will have a chance to carve out a role as a goal-line receiver.

I know how everyone feels about grading the drafts, but you gotta feel pretty good about what Cincy' did over the weekend.

Nothing flashy, because we don't move around, and there were still better athletes available over guys like Sherry.

- But I grade it as a A-

I still think cornerback was a need this year,free safety as well. I was kind of optimistic that we would have our top 3 running backs healthy this year, but too many reports about Irons not being ready until after the season starts, and Perry being, a soft, soft, soft, soft player that prefers the training room over the playing field; So I thought we would make a move at a running back....

I just read about some of the college free agents that we brought in though, and I'm really hopeful. Simeon Castille is going to be a Bengal this year.

Barring injury, he'll eventually be our third corner. He's a steal, the same way we all thought Eric Henderson was before his wrist injury.

- Castille took a knock because of his poor 40 times' but he makes plays!! He's played every secondary spot, he's a solid tackle and his coverage mistakes can be fixed with proper technique and coaching.

I honestly think adding Castille adds extreme value to an already talented draft!

:sure::cheers::bengal::cheers:

I agree that "grading" the draft is too early -- but I am willing to say that I'm happy with what I've seen so far in this draft.

It makes me feel like an "A" and that's all that counts for me.

The selection of DTs, Pat Sims and Jason Shirley* were keys to my feeling good.

I like Jerome Simpson and Andre Caldwell as additions to the WR corps.

Love Keith Rivers at LB.

Several others are potential backups and special team players.

* For those of you that get upset about his possible risk -- I suggest that you remember Mark Twain's warning. Twain said beware that you don't learn too much from an experience lest you be like the cat that sat on a hot stove -- you'll never sit on a hot stove again, but you not sit on a cold one either. B):lol:

I guess my grade comes down to this.

Would I have preferred to draft Rivers and Sims or Ellis. Had I graded this draft after Saturday I would have given it a C- but after watching the second day come around their strategy was clear, they weren't going to reach for a player just because of need (I think Simpson is a better player for the Bengals then Laws would have been) they were going to stick with their draft board and the way it unfolded they could have had a quality DT even if Sims had gone earlier. I like taking a character risk in the fifth because if it fails they are easy to get rid of and Shirley looks like a great prospect. I find it amusing that Florio is dinging the Bengals "Bad Character Draft" because of one 5th round risk. ILOVE the Lynch pick, I think he is going to be a starter and an impact player for this team and would not have been upset if they had taken him 2 rounds earlier.

Taking the draft as a whole I would give it an A-

Rivers, B

Simpson, A

Sims, B+

Caldwell, A

Collins, B

Shirley, A-

Lynch, A+

Sherry, C

Craig, B-

Urrutia, A

I agree that "grading" the draft is too early -- but I am willing to say that I'm happy with what I've seen so far in this draft.

It makes me feel like an "A" and that's all that counts for me.

The selection of DTs, Pat Sims and Jason Shirley* were keys to my feeling good.

I like Jerome Simpson and Andre Caldwell as additions to the WR corps.

Love Keith Rivers at LB.

Several others are potential backups and special team players.

* For those of you that get upset about his possible risk -- I suggest that you remember Mark Twain's warning. Twain said beware that you don't learn too much from an experience lest you be like the cat that sat on a hot stove -- you'll never sit on a hot stove again, but you not sit on a cold one either. B):lol:

I give them a Pass for addressing their biggest holes on their team but unfortunately they need two drafts to cover all their holes. Next draft they'll address RB & OL & more WR with high quality early round picks. While I didn't think LB was their highest priority going into the draft, Keith Rivers was the best player available at #9 and I'm glad they picked him.

Rivers, B solid/safe pick

Simpson, A- I like this pick much more than Sweed or Kelly here

Sims, B- He has potential and if the coaches can bring him along he maybe better than Ellis

Caldwell, C Over-rated WR, not sold on his hands or route running, to early to get another WR

Collins, B- Dont know much about him, but sounds like a project backup OL other than Center position

Shirley, A+ Big space eater, high risk/reward pick taken at the right time in the draft for a flyer

Lynch, C Speed and size are downfalls, desire and heart should make him a good ST'er

Sherry, F No need for a PS TE

Craig, B- Could hang on the PS

Urrutia, B Might become a red-zone/short yardage threat if used correctly.

Thus my grade is a solid B-, depending majorly on Shirley and Simpson

Rivers, B+ ...besides the sting of losing out on Ellis, I admit this was about the best option.

Simpson, A- ...time will tell but I like the guts shown in taking such a great talent...green as grass with amazing ability...sound familiar CJ? except this guy has the right attitude.

Sims, B+ ...position of need. Needs strong coaching, is poor mans Ellis.

Caldwell, A- ...who is crying about this guys downsides? Carson will be his QB, not some flunky.

Collins, B+ ...solid choice...in pass happy KU offense...getting tutored by Willie in the ways of the NFL. perfect

Shirley, F or A ...one or the other. here to hoping for an A

Lynch, B ...good value pick here

Sherry, D ...to me, the only waste/luxury pick. with the lack of depth at CB, seems wasteful to take another TE

Craig, C+ ...an LB who can rush...times slow...PS material.

Urrutia, B ...big WR, give him some time on the PS.

If Shirley is an A - this draft gets a B+

If Shirley is an F - this draft gets a B-

The Sherry pick actually pisses me off still. Needless. We already have 3 or 4 TEs to backup Utecht and Kelly. BPA might have been one of the RBs. Washington or Forsett. Yes yes we have a few RBs but that's besides the point. Irons won't be a big factor, if at all, this season. Rudi is cross your fingers time in terms of finding some form again and Perry simply can't be relied upon to stay healthy. His NFL career has been nothing but an unending series of injuries. Nothing personal but there it is. If he does stay healthy then he'll be bucking the trend. So, we're left with dependable Watson and DDD who was horribly underused, imo, last season. It might work out well and everyone will be smiles come Decemeber time but when a good value RB who is productive is sitting there why take a random TE who won't see one single minute of playing time with this team, if he even makes it through the camps?

However, not that important I guess. Still like the draft overall.