More Moves By Miley

By John Fay

The Cincinnati Enquirer

SAN DIEGO - Reds manager Dave Miley is hoping a drop in the batting order can get another of his hitters going.

Miley dropped D'Angelo Jimenez from first to sixth in the order before Thursday's game against San Diego.

Jimenez was mired in a slump that had dropped his average from .353 to .197 heading into Thursday's game. He was hitting .140 over his last 24 games and was hitless in his last 15 at-bats.

Jimenez was 1-for-3 with a walk in Thursday's 8-2 loss to the Padres.

"It's the same scenario as we used with Junior (Griffey)," Miley said. "It's a change of atmosphere to try to get him going."

Ryan Freel hit leadoff, instead. Jimenez had been in that spot for 32 of the Reds' 33 games, with Freel leading off one other time.

Freel was 2-for-4 Wednesday and drove in the Reds' only run in their 2-1 loss. Freel was hitting .353 over his last five games.

Freel gives the Reds more speed at the top of the lineup. He has five of the Reds' 14 stolen bases.

IN A PINCH: As pinch-hitters, the Reds are 6-for-42 (.143).

Jacob Cruz (2-for-5) and Juan Castro (2-for-7) are the only bench players with any success as pinch-hitters.

Javier Valentin (0-for-9), Wily Mo Pena (0-for-9) and John Romano (0-for-5) are a combined 0-for-23.

Starters Austin Kearns (1-for-2) and Barry Larkin (1-for-3) accounted for one-third of the Reds' pinch-hits.

KEARNS-LARUE UPDATE: Kearns went 2-for-3 with a two-run homer in Louisville's 12-11 victory over Toledo on Thursday night. Three games into his rehab assignment, the outfielder is 4-for-12 with three RBI.

Catcher Jason LaRue, also on a rehab assignment, went 0-for-4 with a sacrifice fly.

IMHO Miley is making the moves in the wrong place. He needs to shake up the pitching, both starters (except for 5-0 Paul Wilson) and relievers. It's been pathetic! Yeah, yeah...the defense hasn't been perfect BUT it hasn't stunk up the place as bad as the pitching, that's for sure! :unsure:

Man did you guys see the way FREEL dived into the crowd last night(sat.). this guy is tuff. Im pleased with VANPOPPEL to he looked good last night. Griffey is starting to hit to and stay healthy. Im going to keep my finger crossed and maybe get a couple of players and we can stay in this thang. 10-4 :D

I think the lineup change was very good. I mean we swept the Dodgers, produced when we were forced to. Griffey looked real good and D'Angelo started getting his swing back. There are some questionable moves Miley makes, but I'm sure that has to do with being a first year MLB manager.

BTW - Van Poppel's outing was very good, but it was against a horrible Dodgers offense. I won't hold my breathe on his yet.