Check out these Small School Deffensive Sleepers

Corey Lynch S - 6' 206 lbs.Appalacian St.- He finished 2007 with 111 tackles, six interceptions and 11 pass breakups.Runner-up for Buck Buchanan Award, given to the nation's top defensive player. Southern Conference Defensive Player of the Year. A three-time All-American. He finished his career with 52 pass breakups, which was No. 1 in NCAA Division I, and also had 24 career interceptions.This guy has a knack for making the big play and the game winning play.If you dont know who he is he his the guy that blocked the kick that beat Michigan.Not only is he a great S but, he is one of the better special teams player in the nation,Marvin would love him. Watch the video and see what I mean.Think a slightly slower young Ed Reed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQZqkcubYjQ

Trevor Scott DE- 6'5 265 Buffalo-as a senior, Scott recorded 46 total tackles, including 15 tackles for loss, Scott finished his Buffalo career tenth in career tackles for loss (28.5) and third in sacks (19), despite playing just two years of defense. Division I players in sacks per game over the past two seasons after making the switch from tight end before his junior season .Scott has ran a 4.54 40yd dash and his work out numbers are similar to what Gholston put up.This guy has all the tools to be a starting DE.

Sorry couldnt find video.

Andy Studebaker DE/LB-Wheaton-6-4 255- In 2006 set Wheaton's single-season quarterback sacks record with a NCAA-best 17.5 sacks...tallied 55 total tackles, including 24.5 tackles for lost.Only played in 5 games this season, end up with 12 total tackles, 6.5 tackles for loss and 5 sacks.Played DE but maybe better suited to play LB. I have been hearing that this guy will run a 4.48 and the teams that know about him are trying to keep their mouth shut.At any rate he is one hell of a player at the small school level and is worth a look. He reminds me of a nicer version of ,another guy that came from a small school,Greg Lloyd. He is strong as can be, keep in mind that he was injuried last year and may actually run faster than he runs on his pro day.,Check out his video:

Eric Bakhtiari DE/LB- San Deigo 6-3 260 lbs.-4.80 40 yd dash .This season Bakhtiari had 76 total tackles, 24.5 tackles for loss and 20 sacks... Last season he had 63 total tackles, 23.5 tackles for loss and 8 sacks... 20 sacks kind of says it all.

sorry cant find video

Note I am not saying the next Greg Lloyd,Ed Reed,ect I am trying to give you a style of play.

If any of you can find video on the rest be by guest.

16 others, per Peter Schrager (FoxSports) => see Link

Your real Sweet 16

Well, it's March Madness time.

And for a couple spring weekends, it's perhaps permissible to think of something other than 40 times and Wonderlic scores. But the NCAA tournament and the NFL draft actually have a lot more in common than you may think — college seniors embracing their coaches one last time; last-second, make-or-break decisions with the clock winding down; TV analysts caked up in makeup with too much hair product on their heads. Really, the NCAA tournament and the NFL draft are really one in the same.

1. Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy: To be certain, McKelvin won't be the NFL player to really put Troy on the map. The Alabama school actually has become quite a little NFL defensive factory, having already churned out 2007 Pro Bowlers DeMarcus Ware and Osi Umenyiora. That said, McKelvin could be the most dynamic player in the entire '08 draft. A lock-down corner perhaps better known for his punt- and kick-returning skills, look for him to be an impact player in his first year in the pros. He could go as early as No. 7 to the Patriots on draft day.

Draft Projection: Top 15

2. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tennessee State: Let's get some lingering questions out of the way. First, yes, he is related to 2007 All-Pro cornerback Antonio Cromartie. They're cousins. Second, yes, he has what it takes to be an All-Pro himself. The kid's fantastic. Rodgers-Cromartie has had an incredible few months, winning defensive MVP honors at the Senior Bowl and then scorching the turf in Indy at the combine with a lightning-fast 4.34 40-yard dash. On top of a dominant season at corner, Cromartie also blocked four kicks and returned 33 kickoffs in '07 for Tennessee State. Like McKelvin, he can do it all. He'll put Tennessee State on the map in April, when he's one of the top corners selected in the first round.

Draft Projection: 1st Round

3. Chris Johnson, RB, East Carolina: Jeff Blake and David Garrard may have already put East Carolina's football program on the map, but Johnson could give the school even more name recognition in '08. Blessed with 4.24 40-yard-dash speed and bolstered by a nation-leading 227.6 yards per game from scrimmage, the Pirates star could be a multi-purpose threat at the next level. If you caught him gashing 2007 Fiesta Bowl winning Boise State defense for 223 yards on the ground in this year's Hawaii Bowl, you have an idea of what he's capable of.

Draft Projection: Top 50

4. Joe Flacco, QB, Delaware: A 6-foot-7 beast with a cannon arm, Flacco's draft stock has been rising on everyone's board since the combine. Having sat on the bench behind Tyler Palko for two years at Pitt, Flacco transferred to Delaware and took the ECAC by storm. After a strong junior season, Flacco tossed for over 4,000 yards in 2007. No doubt, the kid can toss a football. Five weeks away from draft day, he's the chic pick at quarterback.

Draft Projection: Top 50

5. Tyrell Johnson, Safety, Arkansas State: In what's being viewed as a relatively weak draft for safeties, Tyrell Johnson may very well hear his name announced as early as the second round in April's draft. The 2007 Sun Belt Defensive Player of the Year, Johnson's a do-everything defensive back who seems to be in on every play. Watching tape of the guy, it's hard to pinpoint what exactly his weaknesses are. He's really everywhere on the field. Johnson had six interceptions and 94 tackles in '07. Though you've likely never heard of him, he can start for an NFL team at safety as early as next season.

Draft Projection: Late 2nd/Early 3rd Round

6. Josh Johnson, QB, San Diego: Not to be confused with Josh Jackson of "Mighty Ducks" and "Dawson's Creek" fame, Josh Johnson is an intriguing quarterback prospect with aspirations for the NFL, not Katie Holmes' heart. Most of America got a sniff of San Diego athletics with Friday's upset victory on the hardwood over UConn. They'll hear a bit about the Toreros football program when Johnson gets drafted in April. The 6-foot-3 signal caller led the nation (Division I-AA) in passing efficiency and total offense in 2007, and was the Offensive MVP of the East-West Shrine Game back in January.

Draft Projection: Mid-3rd/Early 4th Round

7. Kendall Langford, DE, Hampton: You may already be familiar with Hampton athletics. Jacksonville Jaguars stud Justin Durant, the 48th overall pick in the 2007, is a Hampton product. It's also the school that, as a 15 seed in 2001, knocked off Jamaal Tinsley and the No. 2 seed Iowa State Cyclones in the NCAA tournament. Kendall Langford will be the next name you'll align with the school. As a sophomore and junior, Langford led the Pirates in sacks. As a senior in 2007, the 6-foot-6 defensive end was double teamed consistently but still managed to rank second on the team in tackles with 72. He should be a first-day selection.

Draft Projection: Third or Fourth Round

8. Heath Benedict, OT, Newberry: I know, I know. Newberry College? Where and what in the heck is that? After searching on Wikipedia, it appears that "Newberry College is a liberal-arts college of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) located on a 90-acre campus in Newberry, South Carolina." Oh, that Newberry College. Of course! After transferring from Tennessee (you've heard of that place), Benedict went on to star at the tiny Division II school, starting 36 of 39 games at Newberry. He played both right and left tackle and enters the draft with high grades across the board. A wildcard in this draft because of the complete lack of competition at the college level, it'll be interesting to see which team takes a gamble on him, and when.

Draft Projection: 4th Round

9. Jerome Simpson, WR, Coastal Carolina: The biggest prospect to ever come out of Coastal Carolina, Simpson is another wildcard in April's draft. He holds just about every one of his school's receiving records and is the owner of the Big South Conference career record for receiving with 2,430 yards. In his junior campaign, he hauled in 16 touchdown passes, too. The guy can jump through the roof. We're talking Dwight Howard-like hops. Simpson finished third at the NCAA track and field East Regionals in the long jump, and also holds the school record for the high jump (6'8¾"). At the combine in February, he showed off a 38-inch vertical jump and an astounding 11'04" broad jump. Toss it up to Simpson. The 6-foot-2 stud will go and get it.

10. Dexter Jackson, WR, Appalachian State: I'd like to think that if you're reading this article, you've at least heard of Appalachian State. The Mountaineers pulled off one of the greatest upsets in college football history, beating Michigan in the Big House last fall. Jackson's the squad's top NFL prospect. A burner with a 4.33 40 time, he'll most likely be featured more as a kick returner at the next level than as a first or second option at wideout. Jackson's only 5-foot-10, but the kid can burn. And he's got a Sports Illustrated cover under his belt. Few others in this draft can say the same.

Draft Projection: Late 4th/Early 5th Round

11. Antwaun Molden, CB, Eastern Kentucky: Eastern Kentucky's claim to fame? Lee Majors, aka The Six Million Dollar Man. So did Dolphins safety Yeremiah Bell and former Giants and Colts star Chad Bratzke. Add Mr. Molden to the list of notable alumni. A 4.39 40-yard-dash guy at the combine, Molden's seen his stock rise since the end of a rather average 2007 season. Over his entire career at EKU, he only started 12 of 33 games, but the scouts are high on him. A transfer from Toledo, he's going to be a third or fourth cornerback kind of player who will star in the special teams game as a gunner. Likely not a first-day selection. Likely not a $6 million man, either.

Draft Projection: 5th Round

12. Brian Johnston, DE/LB, Gardner-Webb: Gardner-Webb's hoops team beat Kentucky at Rupp Arena earlier this year but fell short of an NCAA Tournament berth. Its football squad was anchored by 6-foot-5 All-Big South Conference selection Brian Johnston. He'll likely play LB at the next level, but could potentially serve as an undersized defensive end, too. In four stellar years at Gardner-Webb, he started 40 games and recorded 21 sacks. Johnson's a relentless worker. He'll be a second-day draft selection who'll likely get minutes for some team next year.

13. Chad Rinehart, OT, Northern Iowa: A captain as a senior for Northern Iowa in '07, Rinehart helped lead the Panthers to an 11-0 record. Rinehart's been a draft prospect for years, having started since early in his freshman season. He's a consensus All-American first teamer who started 37 of 40 collegiate games. He may end up playing guard at the next level, but either way, he should hear his name called on the second day of April's draft.

14. Brandon Keith, OT, Northern Iowa: Oh, you thought there was only one offensive line draft prospect out of Northern Iowa this year? Wrong, my friends. Keith's as much of a college journeyman as you'll ever find. He makes Randy Moss' college story seem sedentary. The kid transferred from Northeast Oklahoma A&M (yep, that's a school) to Oklahoma in '05, and then left the Sooners, signing on with Northern Iowa for the '06 and '07 seasons. Mixed into those four years were academic issues, injuries, and a few times quitting teams. He spent a lot of time off the field in '06 with injuries to his right knee, but started 11 games at right tackle in 2007. No doubt, he was a college football nomad. He hopes to find a home in the NFL. Though likely viewed as a risky pick by some, he'll hear his name called on the draft's second day — perhaps even before his teammate, Rinehart.

Draft Projection: Late 6th/Early 7th Round

15. Curtis Johnson, LB, Clark-Atlanta: A first team All Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Association performer, Johnson started every game in 2007, setting a school record with 13.5 sacks. Though you likely have never heard of him, the kid's a beast. At 6-foot-3, 245 pounds, Johnson's probably a linebacker at the next level, despite playing most of his college career at defensive end. He was the first Clark-Atlanta player ever to be invited to play in the East-West Shrine Game, and has been working with former Falcons star Chuck Smith leading up to draft day. Though I hate using this term, he has "limitless potential."

Draft Projection: Late 6th/Early 7th Round

16. Brandon Carr, CB, Grand Valley State: Carr's one of the draft's true unknowns. A lightning-fast cornerback with outstanding kick-return skills, a team in need of a playmaker may take a waiver on the kid in the seventh round. The winner of the Great Lakes Conference Defensive Back of the Year award in '07 (I know, that's not exactly the Heisman), he's one of those under-the-radar defensive backs who could end up having a 10-year career at the next level. Or ... he won't get drafted and you'll never hear from him again. For Carr's sake, let's hope for the former.

Draft Projection: 7th Round

Corey Lynch S - 6' 206 lbs.Appalacian St.- He finished 2007 with 111 tackles, six interceptions and 11 pass breakups.Runner-up for Buck Buchanan Award, given to the nation's top defensive player. Southern Conference Defensive Player of the Year. A three-time All-American. He finished his career with 52 pass breakups, which was No. 1 in NCAA Division I, and also had 24 career interceptions.This guy has a knack for making the big play and the game winning play.If you dont know who he is he his the guy that blocked the kick that beat Michigan.Not only is he a great S but, he is one of the better special teams player in the nation,Marvin would love him. Watch the video and see what I mean.Think a slightly slower young Ed Reed.

Slightly Slower ??, I remember the play, there was a write up about it in the USA Today Sports Weekly last year too. The question that no-body and I mean NO BODY asked him , was ..

How in the Hell did you get caught from behind by the Michigan Kicker ???

Slightly Slower ??, I remember the play, there was a write up about it in the USA Today Sports Weekly last year too. The question that no-body and I mean NO BODY asked him , was ..

Did you see the part that said"Note I am not saying the next Greg Lloyd,Ed Reed,ect I am trying to give you a style of play".

Why did I say that? beacause some people (not picking on you personaly) would rather pick apart some word in the post than add to the conversation.

When I wrote that I was trying to characterize his style of play,anyway I dont think that Ed Reed is that fast these days,he has lost a few steps and does not make the big plays that he used to when he was faster--Thus the characterization if you had a guy that makes big plays consistantly the way Reed used to--slower than Reed is now.

I guess that you didnt watch the tape on Lynch he is all over the field ,he has a knack for being in positon, making guys wiff that are trying to block him and most importantly making the play when the game is on the line.

As far as Lynch not out running a kicker ? Please! Lynch was running up and down the field all day the play was at the end of the game (last time I checked you have to be fast to block a kick in the first place) and the kicker was fresh.Plus,you assume that the kicker is not fast .Have you ever heard of Pat McInally P/WR who has 57 career catches for 808yds for 14.2 yds per catch.Also,the block was the play that won the game his job at that point was not to score it was not to fumble.

Lynch is fast enough to get 24 career int's and 52 career pass break ups.He was a finalist for the award for the DB in the country.

Appalachain State's pro day is today and we will have Lynch's 40 time,I expect him to run in the 4.5 to 4.6 range,which is fast enough.I would rather have a slower guy that makes game winning plays than have a fast guy thats always out of place.Besides David Fulcher was probably the Bengals best S and their slowest.I think his combine was in the 4.8 range.

If you dont like Lynch I wouldnt worry, I doubt the Bengals know much about this guy and they never draft anyone from a small school.They might sign him as a free agent but, he should go in one of the later rounds.

As far as Lynch not out running a kicker ? Please! Lynch was running up and down the field all day the play was at the end of the game (last time I checked you have to be fast to block a kick in the first place) and the kicker was fresh.Plus,you assume that the kicker is not fast .Have you ever heard of Pat McInally P/WR who has 57 career catches for 808yds for 14.2 yds per catch.Also,the block was the play that won the game his job at that point was not to score it was not to fumble.

Lynch is fast enough to get 24 career int's and 52 career pass break ups.He was a finalist for the award for the DB in the country.

Appalachain State's pro day is today and we will have Lynch's 40 time,I expect him to run in the 4.5 to 4.6 range,which is fast enough. I would rather have a slower guy that makes game winning plays than have a fast guy thats always out of place. Besides David Fulcher was probably the Bengals best S and their slowest.I think his combine was in the 4.8 range.

Exactly.

Here are a couple of other slower playmakers:

John Lynch

Troy Polamalu

Remember Patrick Body...ran like a 4.28 40? where is he now? Probably still out of position.

Speed is nice. Instinct and Execution are better.

Btw, kickers oftern have soccer backgrouns. Soccer players can be pretty damn fast! get one who makes the kicks and will toss his body around and you've got something.

In similar vein, pro football weekly had a good series of blog posts a few days back on likely very late-round picks/UDFAs who might have more of a career than their draft position would suggest.

Offense Part 1

Offense Part 2

Defense Part 1

Defense Part 2

Some guys that caught my eye from the listings:

RB Jalen Parmele (Toledo) — Impressive blend of size (5-11, 224) and speed (4.55 40-yard dash). Shows good patience behind the line of scrimmage and the burst to accelerate through the hole. Very light on his feet and shows the ability to jump cut and avoid tacklers. Has a thick base, runs with power and drives through initial contact. Shows good balance through traffic and is rarely brought down by one defender. Ball security is an issue. A poor man’s Michael Turner, Parmele has flown under the radar playing in the MAC, but could immediately provide some thunder to a running attack seeking a power boost.

OL John Greco (Toledo) — Very durable — started all 49 career games at right (13) and left (36) tackle. Good upper-body strength and plays with power and leverage. Can push the pile and bury defenders on the second level. Very good snap-to-snap intensity and consistency. Has a feisty on-field demeanor.

DE/LB Andy Studebaker (Wheaton College, IL) — Absolutely terrorized marginal D-III competition as a junior, racking up 24.5 tackles for loss and 17.5 sacks, but was hampered as a senior by a season-ending partially torn ligament in his right foot. Will have to contend with an enormous step up in competition, but could be the best of the small school defensive sleepers, and certainly has the size (6-3, 246), athleticism (4.61 40-yard dash) and closing speed to make some noise.

CB Jack Ikegwuonu (Wisconsin) — Ikegwuonu’s draft stock took a considerable hit after he suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament training for the Combine. Might have to redshirt his rookie season. As a junior, however, Ikegwuonu clamped down on Indiana’s James Hardy and Michigan’s Mario Manningham — two likely first day picks — and when healthy projects as a terrific zone corner.

Did you see the part that said"Note I am not saying the next Greg Lloyd,Ed Reed,ect I am trying to give you a style of play".

Why did I say that? beacause some people (not picking on you personaly) would rather pick apart some word in the post than add to the conversation.

When I wrote that I was trying to characterize his style of play,anyway I dont think that Ed Reed is that fast these days,he has lost a few steps and does not make the big plays that he used to when he was faster--Thus the characterization if you had a guy that makes big plays consistantly the way Reed used to--slower than Reed is now.

I guess that you didnt watch the tape on Lynch he is all over the field ,he has a knack for being in positon, making guys wiff that are trying to block him and most importantly making the play when the game is on the line.

Appalachain State's pro day is today and we will have Lynch's 40 time,I expect him to run in the 4.5 to 4.6 range,which is fast enough.I would rather have a slower guy that makes game winning plays than have a fast guy thats always out of place.Besides David Fulcher was probably the Bengals best S and their slowest.I think his combine was in the 4.8 range.

If you dont like Lynch I wouldnt worry, I doubt the Bengals know much about this guy and they never draft anyone from a small school.They might sign him as a free agent but, he should go in one of the later rounds.

Waa Waa Waaa, Like I said, Making plays against " Division other " will be completely different than making plays in the NFL.

The difference between the success' of other small school prospects, they had adequate or superior athleticism. There are hundreds of guys that made great careers from small schools and even smaller towns, but they were better athletes than Lynch is.

- The thing you missed about my post was the sarcasm!! ( I wonder why ?) I don't care what position you play, If you're a defensive back, You're not supposed to get caught from behind with a 15 yard head start on a 60 yard flat run by the Michigan KICKER !!!!

Anyone remember Corey Sawyer ?? CB, Florida State, Bengals took a shot on him even though he was slower than a fat kid running up hill,

- He could make plays in front of him, but he was burnt toast every time he was tested deep. - He got caught from behind on a 90 something yard intereception return by an Offensive lineman against the Packers in what '94, 95 ??

* But to make you feel good, Cincy did send coaches to the Appalachian St. pro day. Bob Surace, the offensive line coach worked out Kerry Brown OG, Appalachian St.

- he's making a lot of buzz lately, and he's rated as the 8th best guard in the draft. :)

Waa Waa Waaa, Like I said, Making plays against " Division other " will be completely different than making plays in the NFL.

The difference between the success' of other small school prospects, they had adequate or superior athleticism. There are hundreds of guys that made great careers from small schools and even smaller towns, but they were better athletes than Lynch is.

- The thing you missed about my post was the sarcasm!! ( I wonder why ?) I don't care what position you play, If you're a defensive back, You're not supposed to get caught from behind with a 15 yard head start on a 60 yard flat run by the Michigan KICKER !!!!

Anyone remember Corey Sawyer ?? CB, Florida State, Bengals took a shot on him even though he was slower than a fat kid running up hill,

- He could make plays in front of him, but he was burnt toast every time he was tested deep. - He got caught from behind on a 90 something yard intereception return by an Offensive lineman against the Packers in what '94, 95 ??

* But to make you feel good, Cincy did send coaches to the Appalachian St. pro day. Bob Surace, the offensive line coach worked out Kerry Brown OG, Appalachian St.

- he's making a lot of buzz lately, and he's rated as the 8th best guard in the draft. :)

You are still caught up on getting caught from behind by a kicker? Please!!!! The guy had just run all over the field all day,the kicker was fresh --The reason kickers dont make very many tackles is not because they are slow it is because they are too afraid of getting hurt.

You said that you cant figure out why no one asked why he got caught from behind--The reason is-IT DIDNT MATTER-HE MADE THE PLAY THAT WON THE GAME-(you are the only one that does not seem to understand that)- the same way a guy gets an interception at the end of a game and runs out of bounds, so he doesnt risk a fumble.

App.St. had their Pro day and Lynch ran a 4.58 that is right in the norm for safties in the NFL-not the fastest-not the slowest last years draft guid has Nduqe at 4.51 and White at 4.57--Just watch the video the Lynch does it all !!

I cant belive that you bought up Corey Sawyer -you proved my point with Corey Sawyer-He went to Florida ST A BIG SCHOOL ,he was too slow but. the Bengals drafted him BECAUSE he went to a big school.

A couple of years ago I wanted the Bengals to draft a small school guy from Troy St named Osi Unemroyo they didnt

A couple of years ago I wanted the Bengals to draft a guy from a small school Idaho St named Jared Allen who had 28 tkls for loss and 17 1/2 sacks they took the BIG school Robert Gathers in the same round and had a choice of either.

The key is production- A guy has to be in a certain window as far as size and speed- and you would expect a guy to put up a little better numbers at a smaller school.

Kevin Kasevaharn was from Augustana a small school S he was pretty good

When you look at the NFL some of the best players have come from small schools (what you call division other)Jared Allen, Osi Unemroyo,Randy Moss,Tony Romo,Demarcus Ware,ect I could go on.

Where teams screw up is when they ignore the small school guy's production in favor of a lesser guy because he went to a big school.

The point is dont ignore these guys like say a Jarred Allen with 17 1/2 sacks because he went to "division other" and draft a guy with 2 sacks (Geathers) because he went to a BIG SCHOOL .Geathers has had one 10 sack year and that was his contract year and lucky for him half of those sacks came from a 2nd and a 3rd string LT.

By the way Bobby Bethard is noted for building a team of mostly small school guys and winning the Superbowl and that was in the days when big schools could carry as many scholarships as they wanted.

Just because a guy played in "division other"as you call it does not man that they played against a bunch of slow guys Chris Johnson was the FASTEST guy in the draft he went to small East Carolina -Dexter Jackson one of Lynch's teamates ran one of the fastest times in the combine and tore it up at the Senior Bowl and had the announcers gushing about him and the week he had at practice.

There are plenty of good players in "division other' maybe there is fewer but there is plenty and when those guys get drafted they usually dont get as much of a chance to make it and they may have more to learn.

How about a guy who went to a big school and then transferred to a smaller school?

Brandon Jacobs was in the Auburn stockpile of RB's, got tired of wasting away and transferred. I lobbied here for us to take him

Joey Flacco, obviously has everyones attention despite leaving Pitt for Deleware. Hasn't hurt him much.

Alley Broussard, a former LSU starter (ahead of Addai) in 04', hurt in 05' and battled back in '06, before transferring to Missouri Southern State U. for '07. 6'1" 240-250 and runs a 4.5 40. watch him here:

I agree with dadraftnick, in that where a guy played is not nearly as important as what he can do. Freaking Kiewan Ratliff was a very good CB for Florida and was an r2 pick...BUST. Rienard Wilson....BUST. Chris Perry...BUST. on and on.

I'd rather give the hungrier guy from a small school a roll than go with a big school guy who's team cache overshadows maybe lesser quality ability.

Edited by Bengalszone Billy
Formatted for YouTube

You are still caught up on getting caught from behind by a kicker? Please!!!! The guy had just run all over the field all day,the kicker was fresh --The reason kickers dont make very many tackles is not because they are slow it is because they are too afraid of getting hurt.

You said that you cant figure out why no one asked why he got caught from behind--The reason is-IT DIDNT MATTER-HE MADE THE PLAY THAT WON THE GAME-(you are the only one that does not seem to understand that)- the same way a guy gets an interception at the end of a game and runs out of bounds, so he doesnt risk a fumble.

App.St. had their Pro day and Lynch ran a 4.58 that is right in the norm for safties in the NFL-not the fastest-not the slowest last years draft guid has Nduqe at 4.51 and White at 4.57--Just watch the video the Lynch does it all !!

I cant belive that you bought up Corey Sawyer -you proved my point with Corey Sawyer-He went to Florida ST A BIG SCHOOL ,he was too slow but. the Bengals drafted him BECAUSE he went to a big school.

A couple of years ago I wanted the Bengals to draft a small school guy from Troy St named Osi Unemroyo they didnt

A couple of years ago I wanted the Bengals to draft a guy from a small school Idaho St named Jared Allen who had 28 tkls for loss and 17 1/2 sacks they took the BIG school Robert Gathers in the same round and had a choice of either.

The key is production- A guy has to be in a certain window as far as size and speed- and you would expect a guy to put up a little better numbers at a smaller school.

Kevin Kasevaharn was from Augustana a small school S he was pretty good

When you look at the NFL some of the best players have come from small schools (what you call division other)Jared Allen, Osi Unemroyo,Randy Moss,Tony Romo,Demarcus Ware,ect I could go on.

Where teams screw up is when they ignore the small school guy's production in favor of a lesser guy because he went to a big school.

The point is dont ignore these guys like say a Jarred Allen with 17 1/2 sacks because he went to "division other" and draft a guy with 2 sacks (Geathers) because he went to a BIG SCHOOL .Geathers has had one 10 sack year and that was his contract year and lucky for him half of those sacks came from a 2nd and a 3rd string LT.

By the way Bobby Bethard is noted for building a team of mostly small school guys and winning the Superbowl and that was in the days when big schools could carry as many scholarships as they wanted.

Just because a guy played in "division other"as you call it does not man that they played against a bunch of slow guys Chris Johnson was the FASTEST guy in the draft he went to small East Carolina -Dexter Jackson one of Lynch's teamates ran one of the fastest times in the combine and tore it up at the Senior Bowl and had the announcers gushing about him and the week he had at practice.

There are plenty of good players in "division other' maybe there is fewer but there is plenty and when those guys get drafted they usually dont get as much of a chance to make it and they may have more to learn.

Ok, you're way off track again. The Bengals drafted Sawyer because he had a higher grade than where he was drafted, and that's why they jumped on him because they thought they were getting a deal. Sawyer was a fine player at Florida State. But when you're surrounded by a top notch defense, you can afford to play in off coverages all day long, something that Sawyer couldn't do here. AS a matter of fact, the only real productive year Sawyer had here was in '95 and '96. When Copeland and Wilkinson had their best Bengal years here. He was a cover - 2 cornerback, and we haven't had a defense that people have had to worry about since '1983. - Check the History, that was the last year that the Cincinnati Bengals finished with the # 1 defense in the NFL. And we finished 7-9 because Turk Schonert had to quarterback the team after the Steelers " Exorcisted " Ken Andersons' Neck on monday night football.

- Has Lynch been productive, Yes, For Appalachian State. Did he make a big play in a big game.. - Yes, happens all the time. Everyone has their moment in the Sun. - But if you want me to BE - LIE - EVE that he's the second coming of Rodney Harrison because you've got a hard on for the kid, then you're on that Gilligans Island all by yourself.

- Kaesviharn pretty good ???? Are you smoking Crack ?

- And 4.58 speed was one of his 40' times. The other was 4.6+ -

- If he's a playmaker that turns out to be a great player then we can all say... WoW, you're the reason why ... And NOT HIS own efforts.

- It doesn't change the fact, that every resource possible has this guy as a very late round pick, and I personally think there will be better players at that position that we can get earlier in the draft.

* Robert Geathers vs. Jared Allen - And you're arguement with me is what ??? Allen is a better pass rusher ?? You won't get an arguement from me.

Tell you what you can do..... Go to Drafthistory.com,I used to write for them....... Start looking at the Bengal draft picks ( EVERY ONE ) that we've taken since the Death of Paul Brown. So start with the '91 draft. What I want you to do is, find another player to draft in each round that you would've taken with all this ( Hindsight 20/20 ) . For Every Bengal pick, find the hall of famer that we've passed on, or the overall better player that we passed on because the ultimate problem isn't who we've drafted.

- The ultimate problem is that we are fans of a professional franchise that is run like a Mom & Pop store ! - And this Mom and Pop store didn't try to stay competitive with the rest of the League by doing the simple little things, like Hiring a scouting team. Scout players all year long instead of having the coaches do it. Etc. Etc....

- And once you've seen all the Coulda' Woulda' Shoulda's , you'll do the same thing I did, Wonder why I still root for this team.

If you like Lynch, Fine, I'm not on his wagon. I personally think you can get Football players and athletes at the same time. Sometimes guys lacking in either turn out great, but most of the time they don't.

But the first thing you need to do, is stop taking yourself so seriously, that you can't take a joke ! If you play football, and you get caught from behind by the kicker, cheerleader or anyone else perceived as an inferior, You're supposed to get ragged for it.

You know why, Cause it's funny !!

Tell you what you can do..... Go to Drafthistory.com,I used to write for them....... Start looking at the Bengal draft picks ( EVERY ONE ) that we've taken since the Death of Paul Brown. So start with the '91 draft. What I want you to do is, find another player to draft in each round that you would've taken with all this ( Hindsight 20/20 ) . For Every Bengal pick, find the hall of famer that we've passed on, or the overall better player that we passed on because the ultimate problem isn't who we've drafted.

- The ultimate problem is that we are fans of a professional franchise that is run like a Mom & Pop store ! - And this Mom and Pop store didn't try to stay competitive with the rest of the League by doing the simple little things, like Hiring a scouting team. Scout players all year long instead of having the coaches do it. Etc. Etc....

Chris -

In case you didn't get the memo, the Bengals front office is relying on our Bengalzone forum to guide them on the prospects and their values. We're motivated, passionate, and a helluva lot cheaper than Bill Tobin and his clan. :D

Chris -

In case you didn't get the memo, the Bengals front office is relying on our Bengalzone forum to guide them on the prospects and their values. We're motivated, passionate, and a helluva lot cheaper than Bill Tobin and his clan. :D

Oh How I wish that were true, but if it was, Then why didn't they listen to me 4 years ago with the Chris Perry pick ??

Where's that Damn smiley that cries ?????? :unsure:

Chris -

Oh How I wish that were true, but if it was, Then why didn't they listen to me 4 years ago with the Chris Perry pick ??

Where's that Damn smiley that cries ?????? :unsure:

Of course, our input is predicated on a unanimous consensus from the forum - about as likely as Mike Brown running a renowned football camp.

Here's your smiley ===> :cry::crybaby:

8. Heath Benedict, OT, Newberry: I know, I know. Newberry College? Where and what in the heck is that? After searching on Wikipedia, it appears that "Newberry College is a liberal-arts college of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) located on a 90-acre campus in Newberry, South Carolina." Oh, that Newberry College. Of course! After transferring from Tennessee (you've heard of that place), Benedict went on to star at the tiny Division II school, starting 36 of 39 games at Newberry. He played both right and left tackle and enters the draft with high grades across the board. A wildcard in this draft because of the complete lack of competition at the college level, it'll be interesting to see which team takes a gamble on him, and when.

Was found dead in his home today...

http://www.wltx.com/sports/story.aspx?storyid=60170

http://www.wltx.com/sports/story.aspx?storyid=60170

That's Crazy !!!

Wow, a month before the draft.

8. Heath Benedict, OT, Newberry: Draft Projection: 4th Round

For some reason, this reminds me of Dennis Weathersby in 2003. :2guns:

ooops - is this politically incorrect???

8. Heath Benedict, OT, Newberry: Draft Projection: 4th Round

For some reason, this reminds me of Dennis Weathersby in 2003. :2guns:

ooops - is this politically incorrect???

It truly was unfortunate what happened to Weathersby. I was kinda' looking forward to seeing what the kid could do. I remember he had a first round grade in the '03 draft, then he was shot right before the draft, and Cincinnati grabbed him with the first pick on day 2.

- They have that Asante Samuel commercial on NFL Network, where he talks about all the teams that called him, and then passed on him. :blink: