Derrick Harvey

I say we take Harvey at #9 IF both Ellis & Dorsey are off the board. We could put him at OLB and turn him into a Adalius Thomas. Then take Trevor Laws in the second round.

Thoughts?

I say we take Harvey at #9 IF both Ellis & Dorsey are off the board. We could put him at OLB and turn him into a Adalius Thomas. Then take Trevor Laws in the second round.

Thoughts?

In that (likely) scenario, I'd rather trade down to pick up a 2nd or a couple thirds, or get an elite OT if available. I'm not sure Harvey will be able to play standing up.

I'd really like the Bengals to NOT try that with yet another DE. Especially with the 1st round pick !!!

WHODEY !!!

Well, if the Bengals do end up taking Harvey, something will have to give someplace. They've got two ~$30 million DEs already in Geathers and Odom; Harvey would make that something like ~$90 million invested in the position. Throw in Rucker and Fanene and you likely hit triple figures. And then of course there remains the possibility of Pollack returning as a DE. And at least 2-3 of the above would be on he sidelines on any given defensive snap.

My guess would be that if they got Harvey, Geathers would be the most likely to be shifted to some sort of OLB pass rushing role.

• 2 weeks later...

Per my previous post, an interesting comment from Marvin in a post from Curnutte's blog, talking about who on the defense might wear the new helmet with the radio:

"I don't know who's out there. It's going to be a three-down player," he said. "I think it probably be a linebacker or safety. Another guy who could handle it is Robert Geathers, who has been trained as a linebacker. He is a three-down player. We will have some flexibility that way. It could be a safety. A linebacker."

I wonder if Marvin just let something slip?