Do you draft injured players?

icehole3

Nope!

Lets put it into perspective.

2004 Draft class is gone, whatever the reason.

2005 #1 stud Pollack hasn't played in 2 seasons due to injury.

2007 #2 stud Kenny Irons missed one season and will most likely miss some of 2008 due to injury.

Tempting fate with a injuried pick would make Mike Brown the Eliot Spitzer of the NFL.

Theyve got 10-11 picks and 1st round projections Philip Merling (hernia) and Stewart (foot) both have had surgery, do you draft these 2 and take a gamble?

At least, not on Day 1.

An interesting prospect is Zack Bowman, a cornerback from Nebraska. He is a huge risk, coming off multiple knee injuries. However, he looked good at the combine, running a 4.38, and was productive prior to getting hurt. The Chargers took a shot with Antonio Cromartie and it paid off. I bet someone takes a flier on Bowman in the 3rd or 4th rounds.

Hell, with their current roster, it would make sense to bring in a DB you could PUP or IR the 1st year.

Is a Broken Hand or a Hernia worth taking a flier on the BPA? Do you take a lesser talent because your so gun-shy about injuries? Pollack's injury could not have been predicted nor could have Kenny Irons' neither guy had a history of injuries documented before the draft, certainly not Pollack who set a consecutive games streak record at Georgia. Injuries happen and the Bengals have been snake bitten but I would not shy away from either Stewart or Merling because of nagging injuries that are not career threatening nor are degenerative. Do you pass on Dorsey because he is recovering from a severe knee injury? That injury is more concerning to me than Merling's or Stewart's but I would take him in a nano-second if he were to drop to #9. Anthony Munoz missed almost his entire senior season at USC with a knee injury so severe that some scouts questioned whether he could ever play football again and was taken off of the Cowboys draft board all together because of it. How did that injury risk pan out.

The draft is a crap shoot, you do your own investigation and if your medical people clear a player then you take him, if not....

By the way Bowman would be an excellent 6th or 7th round selection. Being in Nebraska, I get a dump truck full of information about the Cornhuskers and Bowman came out publicly and tried to inspire his team to play better this season by taking off his "blackshirt" for practices because he felt the defense was not playing up to the level it needed to to justify the honor. He could be a fantastic nickleback for this defense.

It also depends on the injury.

Stewart's toe, from what I've read" won't be but a minor hiccup. Dorsey is Ok, as he has been meticulously examined by all the teams. Consider how Ben Wilkersons' injury dropped him right down to undrafted free-agent, when pre-injury, he was considered a top 10 guy.

r2-5 guys with either a history of injury, or a current issue, have to be red-flagged unless there is no expectation that the guy is needed right away. An r1 guy should be free and clear of this type of concern, especially if it is in the top 10.

Is a Broken Hand or a Hernia worth taking a flier on the BPA? Do you take a lesser talent because your so gun-shy about injuries? Pollack's injury could not have been predicted nor could have Kenny Irons' neither guy had a history of injuries documented before the draft, .

Actually , that's not correct. The knock on Irons coming out of college, was the fact that he had numerous nicks and injuries. Some he was able to play with, others he wasnt'.. and I quote

"Still trying to rebuild his stock after a dissappointing senior season because of injuries and Auburns inconsistent offense.After transferring from South Carolina, he replaced first round picks Ronnie Brown and Carnell Williams for the last two years and is a similiar size runner, though not nearly as effective as either. Showed impressive toughness playing through his injuries last year, but DURABILITY is now a big concern.Can be an explosive runner,changes direction easily,and finds cutback lanes. Has a lot of trouble with his hands, is not much of a blocker because of his lack of size, and is unlikely to be an every down back. - Overall grade 3rd round prospect. "Have Ambulance ready,INJURY RISK, " Could have future star potential "

- per USATODAYSPORTs.... April 10th, 2007

Theyve got 10-11 picks and 1st round projections Philip Merling (hernia) and Stewart (foot) both have had surgery, do you draft these 2 and take a gamble?

I would NOT draft Philip Merling at the ninth position whether he had been injuried or NOT!

I believe we will have better choices at 9.

The question as to whether or not the Bengals draft a player, who has been operated on, is a real big risk to me -- because I have little faith that our medical staff could make the correct assesment as to whether or not, the player will (has) recover(ed) adequately to play.

My recommendation (which means very little) would be not to take the risk --- unless we have worked out the player and we KNOW he can PLAY!

I've pimped the idea of drafting injured players who fall in the draft several times in the past with decidely mixed results. Some have panned out fine. Others haven't done a thing.

As for this draft the two currently injured players I'd be most interested in are RB Jonathan Stewart and to a much lesser degree...CB Jack Ikegwuono. Both players rank amongst the very best at their positions, and in the case of Stewart boast outstanding character and a work ethic second to none. How far he falls in the draft would be a key consideration as he's expected to be on the shelf for the next 6 months, but it's not supposed to be a serious injury and a team that stops his fall could very easily find itself with a top-20 prospect.

I freely admit Ikegwuono is a different matter altogether. His ACL tear will almost certainly cost him his entire rookie season, and he'll fall dramatically as a result. He's also got a few character dings. But there's the rub because he could easily fall beyong the 4th or 5th rounds now and it's not out of the realm of possiblities a team could draft him only after securing an agreement he'll sign a longer contract.