If Corey leaves.....

The Brew Man

If Corey is outta here at the end of the year or continues to be hurt what will we do for the running game?

I really like Rudi Johnson myself, I think he could be an every down back in this league with some seasoning. He seems like the type of back that gets stronger as the game progresses, like vs. Buffalo. He really impressed me in that game and I would love to see him get a shot if the job becomes available.

I think everyone thought Bennet would be the guy, but he just hasnt looked as good....

opinions?

I don't like Bennett, his ability to break tackles is limited and he can't shake would be tacklers, once he's hit, he's down. Rudi Johnson is a good backup running back but I don't think he's the feature back the Bengals are looking for.

Dillon won't leave this season. Lewis isn't stupid enough to do that. LIke it or not, Dillon gives us the best chance to win this season and as he becomes more healthy, it will give Kitna more time in the pocket and the offense will be pretty good. I know there's a lot of "if's" there, but what else do we have.

Now going into next season, that's a completely different story. I think Lewis could dip into the draft for a running back, there's a lot of good ones coming out, and either let Dillon go or trade for him. Either way, I don't see Dillon fulfilling his contract.

i'm sticking with KIT, CJ, PW, the TEnds and "running back by committee" for this year...now if corey leaves...as i've said before.....it's setting up to look like the 2nd unit that is working together, Palmer and WATSON...Kit may still be there, but i think Watson is Marvins' kid of guy.......but what do i know, he could be cut anytime.....

personally, i think that we will draft a running back in the 1st or 2nd round. How bout the guy from West Virginia, he has proved himself in the national games against miami and va tech.

That guy is Quincy Wilson and he's not too bad. The guy that played here at West Virginia last year Avon Cobourne is much better than him. He plays for the Lions, maybe the Bengals could get him. He is a Corey Dillon like back

I think its a little early to talk about Dillons replacemant. It's all going to depend on how the rest of the season goes. He gets healthy and gets on a roll ......... this won't even be a topic of conversation. If he stays hurt and or doesn't produce, then Lewis's reaction will be easy to figure out based on what he's done with everbody else who has fallen into that category. Someone else made the point that Lewis isn't going to be too anxious to start a new quarterback without the benefit of an established running back. That makes a lot of sense.

I think its a little early to talk about Dillons replacemant. It's all going to depend on how the rest of the season goes. He gets healthy and gets on a roll ......... this won't even be a topic of conversation. If he stays hurt and or doesn't produce, then Lewis's reaction will be easy to figure out based on what he's done with everbody else who has fallen into that category. Someone else made the point that Lewis isn't going to be too anxious to start a new quarterback without the benefit of an established running back. That makes a lot of sense.

Very true redsfan, but its almost time to consider this as Corey could be on the downside of his career. Many RBs begin to slide after age 30. Im not saying he is, yet......but its worth a look at who we plan on replacing him with.

No love for Rudi De-Light?

Exactly. If Dillon performs, there won't be anything to talk about. At least, nothing beyond the usual look any team with a 30-year-old RB might take (as LK suggests). And if CD falls off or can't stay healthy, I'd expect them to take a hard look at Rudi or Watson before spending a top draft pick in '04. I don't think either one of them is the answer, but IMHO opinion we have more pressing issues than RB.

No love for Rudi De-Light?

I'm going to get beat on so bad for saying this that I don't want to , but you asked.

Rudi may end up being coached into a decent back. He ain't ever going to make anybody forget about CD. In the game at Buffalo, I don't know how many times I saw him run in to the back of the pile at the line and stand there with little or no movement till he was tackled. ( screams of "that's the lines fault you ( your favorite ) ). Yeah.. the line could've helped but a back with good instincts hits where the hole was supposed to be and when it isn't he bounces to one side or the other for maybe just a few yards, but at least something. ( ala Ickey Woods et al )That can't be taught. You bring it with you if you got it .... and I don't think Rudi does. Rudi ripped off a good run in Buffalo, and I was glad to see it. He's a powerful runner, and all of the guys on the Bills said he was hard to tackle. In the game against the Ravens, CD fianlly got outside and got square. A defender came up to make the tackle, and CD knocked him maybe 3 yards out of bounds. A coach didn't tell him to do that and he didn't stop to think about it, he just did it cause that's what he does in that situation.

Rudi will run to where he is told to, and if the hole is there he dose well. If it isn't he gets tackled there.

No love for Rudi ?? I wouldn't say that. Love his heart and his work ethic. Just don't think he's a long term answer.

Rudi proved alot this weekend, not sure if hes ready for the full time gig or not, but he looked very good yesterday!

I thought he did great. I think a lot of it was due to the O line having a good game too, but it is a team sport after all and "Not the Chad Johnson show." That cracked me up. I'm interested in how CD will react to all of this. Will it make him pick it up ?? or will in make him more anxious to part company with the Bengals. I hope he directs it in a positive way. Two good backs are better than 1.

Rudi is a strong consistant runner. He isn't going to be the kind of back that will ripp off an 80 yard run, but he will get his 4-5 yards a pop and can break off a 20 every now and then. He is also a very durable back, and could take 30 carriees in a game easy. It helps when the O-line is working well, and the passing game is clicking so they don't stuff the box. The biggest different between Rudi, and Corey is that Corey is a playmaker. Rudi will get better as he continues to play. The Buffalo game mistakes can be attributed to his lack of playing time, and the fact that he is a bit of a plow horse were as CD is a bit of a race horse. I think Rudi has a lot of potential to be a really good back, but let's face it Corey is a great back.

Oh, and the comment about not wanting a young backfield with a young QB is a very valid point as well, however there is no guarantee that there will be a young QB next year with the way Kit is playing and the way Coach Lewis is talking.

Oh, and the comment about not wanting a young backfield with a young QB is a very valid point as well, however there is no guarantee that there will be a young QB next year with the way Kit is playing and the way Coach Lewis is talking.

Everybody picked up on that comment. It even got mention on MSNBC Sports. ( So did Corey by the way under Whine of the week ). One thing I've seen coach Lewis do that hasn't been alluded to very often is his tendency to say one thing while in the process of doing another. Kind of a verbal sleight of hand. He seems to be backpedaling from Palmer as the starter, but I think the key word is SEEMS.

When he told the reporter that no one had installed Carson as the starter next year, notice that he didn't rule it out. He consistently says he will start the best players at their positions. I think his comment was more of a re-affirmation of his belief in Kitna during this period of the season than it was about Palmers status for next year.

Back to Rudi - If there are no easy wins in the NFL, then I think the same can be said of 100 yard games. Just because it came at the expense of the Seahawks shouldn't deminish the accomplishment. I doubt that he'll replace CD, but its still good to know he's there when needed.

The Seahawks run defense was awful last year (31st I believe) and they are better this year but are still poor. I think Rudi needs to get a 100 yards against a better run defense before Marvin or most of the coaches think he is starter quality.

True, the Hawks run D last year was bad, but so far this year they have only given up one other 100 yard rusher (Ahman Green), and seem to be very improved under Ray Rhodes.

As for Rudi, the kid has talent, I will say it until others jump on board. And while I sure hope Corey returns to form, its nice to know we have a solid guy waiting in the wings.....

I love Corey but i hate his misbehavior. I waithing for his soon healt and imagine how he could run with that kind of passing game; he could do the same things he use to do with the Super Boomer Esiason (a respetable passing game, not 8 or 9 players on the line vs Dillon). Remember their numbers vs the raiders and he was hurt, about the game vs the ravens . . . men!! they have a grear deffense and Dillon wasn't healt at all.

(can any one order my text) :rolleyes: