Antwan Odom

kurgan74

Defend "my boy" from what? Your loony rant that he's at fault for passing along independent media reports? Hey, Curnutte, espn, Ludwig, Lance etc. all did the same thing. Where's your rant about them?

There's no rant about them because they aren't in charge of the Bengals official website. And there's no rant about them because the writers you mention are often mocked due to their poor access to Bengal decision makers. And there's no rant about them because they aren't employed by the Bengals, and thus can't be fired by the Bengals. Finally, there's no rant about them because each of them were much quicker to update their stories than Hobson. Sheesh, a reader could still visit Bengal.com and read about Rogers becoming a Bengal 6 hours after other sources were reporting he was officially a Cleveland Brown.

And if Hobson hadn't followed suit, what then? I'm sure the rant would be about how crappy he and bengals.com are, and how they never tell us anything, and how lousy Hobknob's" work is. It's a no-win situation.

Bull. I've always defended Hobson's conservative style of reporting, as well as his history of giving his own opinions only after performing his role as the Bengals official mouthpiece. Ironically, had he stuck to those conservative habits we wouldn't be talking about this now. However, in this example he spent the day passing along whatever rumors Detroit sportswriters had served up or chasing the rumors posted by PFT or ESPN. And here's the rub. All of those sources were far quicker to dismiss their own earlier reports. And that's hardly a first, is it? In fact, in any given day half of PFT's content is filled by updates where the reader is instructed to ignore PFT's previous stories.

But yeah, it's all Hobson's fault. Not the Lions' for blabbing about the trade or the league office picking nits or Rogers refusing to move his bonus for the Bengals but not the Browns.

Try to stay focused when defending your boy, because nobody is blaming Hobson for the trade falling apart. However, I do fault him for using unreliable sources like PFT and ESPN to confirm the trade was official...when in reality it had been dead for hours. Frankly, that's irresponsible, and should never happen when the writer is in charge of a teams official webpage.

There's no rant about them because they aren't in charge of the Bengals official website.

And that's all your rant boils down to: it was on bengals.com.

So what?

When did Hobson not source the story to outside sources? Never.

When did he say the trade was official? Never.

When did he say the Bengals were not confirming the deal? All the time.

Let's see, today's he's citing espn's reporting about Robertson. I suppose you object to that. He's also cited media reports of visits by Odom, McCree, etc. Where's you objection to that? He posted stories about the Bengals re-upping Chatman and Fanene days before the Bengals officially announced them. Why aren't you upset about that?

And now espn = PFT in terms of reliability? Wow. Tough crowd.

Let's see, today's he's citing espn's reporting about Robertson. I suppose you object to that.

If he claims a trade is now official, and we quickly learn otherwise, then yeah, I'll have a problem. And I'll have an even bigger problem if he clings to his original claim for at least six hours after the truth is known.

He's also cited media reports of visits by Odom, McCree, etc. Where's you objection to that?

I guess I'm supposed to ignore the fact that you're blatantly trying to change the subject, right? Reagrdless, why would anyone object to that? After all, the visits actually took place. And just as importantly, Hobson used sources within the Bengals franchise to confirm the visits.

He posted stories about the Bengals re-upping Chatman and Fanene days before the Bengals officially announced them. Why aren't you upset about that?

I'm not upset because he got the information from the Bengals, not PFT.

And now espn = PFT in terms of reliability? Wow. Tough crowd.

ESPN has more credibility than PFT, but who doesn't? Seriously, who besides you routinely defends the credibility of PFT? Nobody, right? So maybe it's not a matter of me being a tough crowd, but rather of you being an easy one. Regardless, Hobson has access within the Bengals that should trump his need to use sources like PFT or ESPN.

Didn't happen.

Wondering if the mods can retitle this thread: Joisey and Hair go at it, part MCMXX

Why not move on to the next non-issue and pound that into the ground, ladies?

But NancyGirlSince68, it's not a non-issue.

IMHO Hobson played a major role in a public relations nightmare that has only fed the anger and resentment of an already negative fanbase. In fact, Hobson's actions are least partially responsible for your remarkably dumb ass recently wasting thousands of keystrokes over the use of a single word being repeatedly uttered by a negative fan.

Ehhhh?

:blink:

If he claims a trade is now official, and we quickly learn otherwise, then yeah, I'll have a problem. And I'll have an even bigger problem if he clings to his original claim for at least six hours after the truth is known.

What six hours? News that the deal was going south broke with a PFT post at 8:17. Hobson had his story updated by 11:50 - it's still there, go check. Thats a hair over three and a half hours, during which time conflicting stories were flying around like confetti. It looks to me that Hobson did pretty much the right thing and waited for the dust to settle while working his own sources.

IMHO Hobson played a major role in a public relations nightmare that has only fed the anger and resentment of an already negative fanbase.

Oh, please. If Hobson hadn't said boo about the deal, all the other media coverage would have stoked the negative fanbase just fine. And in the end, I have to ask, what PR nightmare? It has become clear that the Bengals, in fact, had no role in the scuttling of the trade.

IMHO Hobson played a major role in a public relations nightmare that has only fed the anger and resentment of an already negative fanbase. In fact, Hobson's actions are least partially responsible for your remarkably dumb ass recently wasting thousands of keystrokes over the use of a single word being repeatedly uttered by a negative fan.

Remarkably dumb is an apt description of this ridiculous argument. Our negative fan base feeds on anger and resentment, not because of Hobson, but because they are too short-sighted to see beyond the results. And how the hell did Hobson play any part whatsoever in my taking offense to the term "bungles"? The answer is simple, he did not. I took offense to that and B1 had enough class to recognize that what he was doing was offensive to me and others. We moved past that and you are the only one to belabor the point after those involved had reconciled it.

You think I am remarkably dumb?

Well, I'm not very impressed with you either, Harriet.

You think I am remarkably dumb?

Well, I'm not very impressed with you either, Harriet.

Sorry NancyGirlSince68, I didn't mean to get you so upset that you'd double post. :lol:

I just thought it was funny that your dumb ass would write post after post debating the use of a single word, and then almost immediately mock other posters about pounding a so-called non-issue into the ground.

Our negative fan base feeds on anger and resentment, not because of Hobson, but because they are too short-sighted to see beyond the results.

True enough.

And how the hell did Hobson play any part whatsoever in my taking offense to the term "bungles"? The answer is simple, he did not.

Actually, he did. By reporting the trade had been completed, based upon less than credible sources, he raised the hopes of Bengal fans. When it was later learned that the trade had fallen apart many Bengal fans reacted to the news by imagining ridiculous conspiracy theories. These ranged from Hoosier's "Goodell screwed us again" rant to Bengal1's goofy rant about the Bengals being unaware comp picks can't be traded. And as Bengal fans wallowed about in familiar "Bungle" negativity...Hobson wasted hours and days for other sources to find out what had really happened.

I took offense to that and B1 had enough class to recognize that what he was doing was offensive to me and others. We moved past that and you are the only one to belabor the point after those involved had reconciled it.

I'm thrilled you two have kissed and made up as cat fights between pretty girls are undignified.

No problem, I'm sure you'll eventually figure out how the buttons work.

You know what, Harriet, you're right. I must be remarkably dumb since it took me four years to recognize that you are a complete dickhead.

It happens.

As for me, it took me two seconds to realize that you'd lose your mind immediately after I adopted your lame "lady & girl" rant.

So, what happens now? :lol:

No problem, I'm sure you'll eventually figure out how the buttons work.

You know what, Harriet, you're right. I must be remarkably dumb since it took me four years to recognize that you are a complete dickhead.

It happens.

As for me, it took me two seconds to realize that you'd lose your mind immediately after I adopted your lame "lady & girl" rant.

So, what happens now? :lol:

Everyone eventually has their fight with Hair....just get it over with and get back at the end of the line...so who's next?

^_^