Justin Smith signed with the 49ers

Spor_tees

Ok...I know Smith had a bad year last year, but why couldn't the Bengals have signed him back when he took such a reasonable deal? I mean he was good enough to pay franchise money to last year but they couldn't give him this kind of contract this year? Front Office failure...between that and Goddell screwing the Bengals...they are hopeless...we must all be into S&M to continue to be Bengals fans.

49ers lock up defensive end Smith with 6-year, $45 million deal

By Michael Smith

ESPN.com

(Archive)

Updated: March 1, 2008, 8:17 AM ET

The San Franciso 49ers and defensive end Justin Smith agreed to a six-year, $45 million contract that included $20 million in guarantees.

Justin Smith

Smith

Smith, who had played all of his seven previous seasons in the NFL in Cincinnati, was given the franchise tag by the Bengals in 2007.

Smith was the fourth overall pick in the 2001 draft out of Missouri. He has 43 ½ career sacks but managed only two last season. Smith has played in 16 games every season except his rookie campaign when he made 15 appearances.

Smith Deal

That's a pretty big deal, to me. a LOT of guaranteed coin. I am glad the Bengals didn't match that, and I actually defend Justin Smith in these parts.

For the record, Shaun Rogers would have only cost the Bengals $16 million over the next three years by comparison, before "salary cap reasons" and "language issues" allegedly screwed that deal.

That's a pretty big deal, to me. a LOT of guaranteed coin. I am glad the Bengals didn't match that, and I actually defend Justin Smith in these parts.

For the record, Shaun Rogers would have only cost the Bengals $16 million over the next three years by comparison, before "salary cap reasons" and "language issues" allegedly screwed that deal.

Sure that is guaranteed coin but the Bengals paid nearly $8 Million last year for him. You can't compare it to the Rogers deal because it was signed a couple of years ago and he already wants more money, which was made evident by the addition at the bottom of the article that said the Bengals were willing to renegotiate his contract.

And...they came in 29th overall on defense. Again, look, I like Smith. I always thought he got a bad rap from fans. But I don't think he was worth that kind of contract, given that he has been a large part of some bad defenses. He is clearly not what ailed the defense, but he surely didn't put it over the top either. And I think he can be replaced for a lot less coin allowing them to try and spend that money elsewhere (if the league office will allow it).

And...they came in 29th overall on defense. Again, look, I like Smith. I always thought he got a bad rap from fans. But I don't think he was worth that kind of contract, given that he has been a large part of some bad defenses. He is clearly not what ailed the defense, but he surely didn't put it over the top either. And I think he can be replaced for a lot less coin allowing them to try and spend that money elsewhere (if the league office will allow it).

What help did Smith have on the defensive line? John Thorton and a list of other B-list players? Give Smith a Rogers...or a Stroud...or someone of their quality to take some attention off of him and he would be a double digit sack man...instead the Bengals are robbing Peter to pay Paul so to speak. They are trying to beef up the interior line at the expense of letting their only veteran productive DE go. I still don't consider Geathers a veteran and productive because he needs to prove he can do it for another year.

I am happy for JSmith, but I agree with membengal, he was ok but he didn't do anything special on D....He made out good because I would not have given him that much $$$$$$$$$$...He could be replaced for alot less...

Spor, you are preaching to the choir with me on Smith. Again, I LIKED Smith, and thought he got a bad rap. I hear you on the support he had on the D-line. But, because of those unknowns as to IF he would be a difference maker IF he finally got help, well, I have no problem with the Bengals NOT paying that kind of coin to a guy who, because of whatever reason, is still an unknown when it comes to being a difference maker for this team.

Marvin is on record favoring "blowing up" the defense, keeping starters have been ineffectual doesn't get that done. Stacy Andrews is the only UFA that we couldn't lose this season, all the others, both sides of the ball, can look for greener grass. For Smith, man congrats, you're a very wealthy guy now, you can look forward to retirement in about 4 years with a few million earning 7% annually for the rest of his life.

Here is the catch....$20M in guarantees.

That's what Smith has been demanding for at least two years, and it's why the Bengals wouldn't agree to a new contract. And say whatever you want about his play, love it or hate it, but Smith was always confident he could get that type of deal in free agency, and in the end he did just that even after the worst statistical season of his career.

As for the 49'ers, you can argue that they paid too much but I'd say they're a better football team this morning...something I can't say in regards to the Bengals. That said, the Bengals now know the answers to three of the four biggest offseason questions they faced, only Landon Johnson's fate is yet to be determined, and it's fair to say that things have indeed been blown up.

Now let's see if they have a plan for putting things back together.

Now let's see if they have a plan for putting things back together.

How much you wanna' bet? <_<

I don't.

Please remember, I'm the guy suggesting it'll be harder to replace Smith than anyone thinks. And in regards to whatever plan the Bengals had to revamp their defensive front, well.....part of their original plan now lies in pieces on the floor of the NFL's front offices.

So let's see what Plan B is.

• 3 years later...