SF needs a QB

I dont know if you guys heard, but San Fran needs a QB after Tim Rattay is going to have surgery and be out 3-4 months. Their GM, Donahue, said one of the alternative to waiting out Rattay to start is to seek a trade for an experienced veteran or consider an experienced free agent. This is coming from ESPN.com. Could Kitna be a possibility??? What do you guys think?

The Niners seem more likely to pursue the Shane Matthews price range since they'll have to make more cuts from an already severely reduced team just to have enough cap room to sign four draft picks.

You never know, though. A $3-mill signing bonus spread over six years plus league minimum at Kitna's years of experience might make a deal doable.

Nah. Why chase after Kitna when the likes of Kerry Collins and Kurt Warner are on the market?

Have to kinda go with schweinhart on this one.

Big reason he could be persued is m o n e y. He impressed a lot of people last year, and while he doesn't have the potential upside of a Collins or Warner, he doesn't have all the baggage either. For the money, he's probably the safest bet. They also know that he's willing to accept a back up role if and when it comes to that, and that's something the other two don't want to have to deal with.

Question now is what do we / or could we get for him ????????????

????????? Why would anyone suggest that we trade probably one of the best backup qb's in the league. He would start and contribute on most teams. What could SF have that we need bad enough to trade Kitna for. Palmer has yet to take anything in the way of a regular season snap except a paycheck.

But that's just it: there's no big money for FA QBs right now. Every team has a starter; the only opportunities are to play mentor to a young'un or step in temporarily in case of injury (like with Rattay). Guys like Collins and Warner know this. Warner is already talking to the Giants (per espn's Lenny P.) about playing mentor/backup to Manning for a year. That isn't going to be a big-bucks gig -- but it might get him a few snaps and will leave him free to start chasing starting jobs next March.

The only team that might drop a big package on a QB is Oakland, where Gannon is either in or out depending on which way the wind blows. I could see them dumping him in favor of Collins...but that just pushed Gannon onto the market in Collins' place.

????????? Why would anyone suggest that we trade probably one of the best backup qb's in the league. He would start and contribute on most teams. What could SF have that we need bad enough to trade Kitna for. Palmer has yet to take anything in the way of a regular season snap except a paycheck.

I was taking this as more of a speculation than a suggestion. I assumed everone else was too. When speculating, you follow through the scenario which led me to wonder the same thing you did. What could SF do for us that would make it worth our while to deal with them ???

Players ??/ Picks for next year ??