Structure of the NFL

Here's one to get the old grey cells ticking over on a Friday afternoon (nothing to taxing as the cold beers are but a few short hours away!!)

How and when, in your opinion, do you think the structure of the NFL will alter.

Here's my two-penneth:-

Obviuosly the NFL is run as a profit making concern, increase your product (no. of teams/games) and increase your revenue (profit).

Can the current format sustain any more growth under the current format? I think it can to a certain extent, increase each division by 1 team and make the top two in each division the play-off teams.

OK, that gives us an extra eight teams on top of what we've got now, so how long would it take to incorporate another 8 teams into the League? 12 or 15 years ??

Let's take it one step further then. How will NFL Europe develop over the next 12 to 15 years?? Well, I think it could come on in leaps and bounds should there be enough incentive from the League. I don't think it's inconceivable that within the next 20 years European teams are competing in some way, shape or form.

Surely the NFL must already have some plans for this as the TV market would be huge and the revenue created from advertising alone would be unthinkably big. Just look at the worldwide TV audiences for the Superbowl (point taken that it's an end-of-season jewel in the NFL's TV crown) but even wekk-to-week the TV market would be a hundreds of million viewers? ( unsure of how to even guestimate the figure).

So could it be that by 2024, the Superbowl winners would really be (for once) World Champions?

Let's take it one step further then. How will NFL Europe develop over the next 12 to 15 years?? Well, I think it could come on in leaps and bounds should there be enough incentive from the League. I don't think it's inconceivable that within the next 20 years European teams are competing in some way, shape or form.

Surely the NFL must already have some plans for this as the TV market would be huge and the revenue created from advertising alone would be unthinkably big. Just look at the worldwide TV audiences for the Superbowl (point taken that it's an end-of-season jewel in the NFL's TV crown) but even wekk-to-week the TV market would be a hundreds of million viewers? ( unsure of how to even guestimate the figure).

So could it be that by 2024, the Superbowl winners would really be (for once) World Champions?

NFL europe will be lucky to survive the next 5 years...It doesn't make money, it loses it, badly. The NFL's biggest problem is educating people outside the US about football. People think it's too complicated, don't understand it, too slow, too many breaks....The NFL really needs to educate people more on football, try to give them a product they can relate to. Actually, one of the things I see as helping Football is video games.

When I first got to NZ about 5 1/2 years ago, you cou;dn't find a football game. Now every console get's them down here, the Magazines rate them very high and they do very good numbers....Now there are a good amount of young kids growing up that know football, know the rules, know how fun it can be....that creates interest. I have seen it first hand. Last year when I was taking youth group at my church I got a football, and a rugby ball for the kids to play with. Yeah they took to the rugby, but then when I got the football to play their eyes lit up like you wouldn't believe, they knew how to play and loved it, and they had a blast.

So in 2024, who knows?....Maybe a World Cup for Gridiron.

Obviuosly the NFL is run as a profit making concern, increase your product (no. of teams/games) and increase your revenue (profit).

This might be the problem here. How much of a profit do they need? Obviously the NFL, players, officials, and owners are doing pretty good.

Can the current format sustain any more growth under the current format? I think it can to a certain extent, increase each division by 1 team and make the top two in each division the play-off teams.

No. Too much inconsistent increase in percentages of positions paid causes way too many problems for unproven players along with rookies taken in the draft. This will force many teams to overpay one player as opposed to having many good players.

OK, that gives us an extra eight teams on top of what we've got now, so how long would it take to incorporate another 8 teams into the League? 12 or 15 years ??

I hope never. I think the 32 teams currently instituted in the NFL stays, there's no reason to bring another team in the league and disrupt an already unstable system both financial and in parity.

This may be the problem Scotty. I believe the NFL is too focused on revenue, both TV and merchandise, thus allowing the product to degrade itself.

No. From 1970 until today, how many teams outside the greatest country on earth are in the NFL? I doubt this will continue, because there is little interest in the NFL, or football, as a whole. I also hope that the NFL (not including NFLE) stays within the states. This is our game and should continue to be. Other nations won't appreciate it as much. Consider this, only one country has an independent league (NFLE is still apart of the NFL which in turn is American).

NFL europe will be lucky to survive the next 5 years...It doesn't make money, it loses it, badly.

You're right Kev. There was a discussion to either kill the NFLE this season or bring it to the states as a minor league system, but Tags decided to force it forward.

The NFL really needs to educate people more on football, try to give them a product they can relate to.

Part of me agrees, but most of me does not. I believe if the NFL and the top officials try to obtain people outside the NFL fan base, then the NFL will make horrible decisions within the game to draw more fans. This killed baseball and it's starting to kill NASCAR. I believe as long as you keep the foundation of the game together, fans will come. I hate to think the game will change just to draw fans. Afterall, the NFL is the most watched sport. Relax Kev, I didn't say the most watched sporting event. :D

The NFL really needs to educate people more on football, try to give them a product they can relate to.

Part of me agrees, but most of me does not. I believe if the NFL and the top officials try to obtain people outside the NFL fan base, then the NFL will make horrible decisions within the game to draw more fans. This killed baseball and it's starting to kill NASCAR. I believe as long as you keep the foundation of the game together, fans will come. I hate to think the game will change just to draw fans. Afterall, the NFL is the most watched sport. Relax Kev, I didn't say the most watched sporting event. :D

Oh, I didn't mean to change the product. I just meant give it to the fans in a way that they can handle...Educate them on the game. It's not that complicated of a game....But people percieve it as such. I mean Rugby is heaps more complicated but still enjoys sucess in Europe, and is King in Autralia and New Zealand. The NFL needs to look at how it's marketed towards people and how it's presented. one thing is the announcers...fortunately for me, during the regualr season I get the ESPN/ABC guys, but the Super Bowl commentators suck...They are from Sky Europe and they do a very bad job of it...I don't care if the player played in Europe(one of the things they love to focus on) Give details of why the plays were made, educate people...I watched the Super Bowl this year in a pub and I was having to explain to the people what was going on...By the end of the game just about everybody in the pub was into it. (it pays to have an exciting championship game) Maybe the NFL needs to pay me for international promotions :D It's not the product that needs to change...just the marketing.

Also, they have some sucess in Germany, they need to build on that, it's pretty popular there. Build a stronghold in Europe and spread it out....Football has it's supporters, I mean even New Zealand has a national team and a semi pro league....The NFL needs to step in and nurture these things...

Great stuff Kev!

Do you think the NFL is going to try and set up teams (not Europe teams) internationally? I can't see this happening because of constant travel restrictions to name a few. But as long as the NFL doesn't change the game to bring in more fans, I'm all for whatever they try to do to internationalize the game.

I can't see the NFL ever going truly international league wise. I can see them promoting the game more internationally more though.With communication being what it is, there is no reason not to. I mean ESPN is on everywhere, that means everybody can watch the NFL. They need to work up from a grass roots level, and not try to go from the top down.

Maybe I should try to get a job with the NFL as an international football evangalist :D

I can't see the NFL ever going truly international league wise. I can see them promoting the game more internationally more though.With communication being what it is, there is no reason not to. I mean ESPN is on everywhere, that means everybody can watch the NFL. They need to work up from a grass roots level, and not try to go from the top down.

Maybe I should try to get a job with the NFL as an international football evangalist :D

I think the mistake is calling it "football" in European Countries. No wonder why Euros are turning their noses up at it???

It's like General Motors trying to sell a car called "Nova" South of the Border. For those of you who are weak on the Spanish:

Nova in Spanish is "No va."--translated this means "You don't go."

Nice work, GM.

I think the mistake is calling it "football" in European Countries. No wonder why Euros are turning their noses up at it???

It's like General Motors trying to sell a car called "Nova" South of the Border. For those of you who are weak on the Spanish:

Nova in Spanish is "No va."--translated this means "You don't go."

Nice work, GM.

It's not football, it's called either American football, or Gridiron, Euros thumb their nose cause they don't understand the game, not what it's called. Football is a different sport everywhere, either Rugby league, union, or soccer (ugh)

As for the Nova Myth.....Just go to Snopes...they'll debunk it for me....poor business move my ass....(Yes I'm bitter, I had a Uni teacher tell me the same thing, I paid money for someone to not get the facts straight? WTF)