What's that supposed to mean??

jjakq27

I caught this nugget in the recent bengals.com article about Marvin Lewis and what it will take to make the playoffs and how the team has been upgraded,

"upgraded at running back with first-round draft pick Chris Perry replacing Corey Dillon: “He’ll know where he‘s supposed to be in the running game all the time. Every play won’t be the same play.” "

Is he saying that Corey didn't always know where he was supposed to be? And does it mean that Corey's plays were becoming too predictable, thus the decrease in yardage last few years?

Just wondering if anyone else got the same reaction when they read it that I did?

The other line that caught me was about the defense,

"re-tooled the defense with more of his input: “I had more time because I had the job when we finished the season. We didn’t have the advantage of being here last year.” "

I think Marvin was worried about stepping on Frazier's toes early on last year but I don't think he will stand around and let that happen this year.

"upgraded at running back with first-round draft pick Chris Perry replacing Corey Dillon: “He’ll know where he‘s supposed to be in the running game all the time. Every play won’t be the same play.” "

I read that as upgrading from:-

A) a player that doesn't want to be there

B) a player that doesn't want to share the carries

C) an established player who may not be willing to alter his style/application

Perry (and even Skip Hicks) will offer something additional in the fact that they can also catch the ball. With the receiving corps we have on board, a running back (Rudi) and backs that can receive (Perry & Hicks) and hopefully better use of the tight ends I would hope that every play was different in any case.

Is he saying that Corey didn't always know where he was supposed to be? And does it mean that Corey's plays were becoming too predictable, thus the decrease in yardage last few years?

Just wondering if anyone else got the same reaction when they read it that I did?

I had the same reaction...I almost laughed outloud when I read it....It's very true. Corey was a one dimensional back....Not that it's a bad thing, but he's not the back he used to be so having only one dimension hurt his stats, and the team. He was never a threat to catch the ball, and I think that's one of the things that attracted the team to Perry...and he was never very good as a blocker in passing situations. With Perry and Rudi splitting time in the backfield the Bengals offense is much more balanced and opposing defense will really have to take into account everybody and not ignore certain players in certain situations....