nfl defenses

does anyone know a good website that really breaks down the different defenses, and their advantages/weaknesses. im talking 3-4 v. 4-3, nickel, dime, and all that good stuff.

As far as websites, I can't really help you there. My personal preference is the 4-3. I think that's the defense Coach Lewis is gonna run this year, and I'm happy about that. To run the 3-4, you need top notch pass rushers, and at this point the Bengals haven't developed those...YET!

I think the 4-3 is equally strong against the pass versus the rush whereas the 3-4 is basically a pass rush scheme. At the moment I think the Bengals are more situated towards the 4-3 than the 3-4.

does anyone know a good website that really breaks down the different defenses, and their advantages/weaknesses.  im talking 3-4 v. 4-3, nickel, dime, and all that good stuff.

As far as websites, I can't really help you there. My personal preference is the 4-3. I think that's the defense Coach Lewis is gonna run this year, and I'm happy about that. To run the 3-4, you need top notch pass rushers, and at this point the Bengals haven't developed those...YET!

I think the 4-3 is equally strong against the pass versus the rush whereas the 3-4 is basically a pass rush scheme. At the moment I think the Bengals are more situated towards the 4-3 than the 3-4.

The secret to the 3-4 is a big blocking nose tackle...but then like Billy said the 3-4 is best against the pass.

It comes down to having the best personel as to what defense you use. Coach Lewis has said on many occassions that he likes this teams matchups with a 4-3. If you want an example of a bad 3-4, look at Atlanta and how bad their Defense was last year, they made the very misguided move to the 3-4 and got the results to show(it wasn't the QB's fault they sucked so bad) Of course if we could get a NT to fit into the scheme then that would be good cause I think we now have the linebackers to run the 3-4. Of course, considering how badly we were against the run last year I think the team should move to a 4-4....I think our fast linebackers could compensate for losing a safety....

It comes down to having the best personel as to what defense you use. Coach Lewis has said on many occassions that he likes this teams matchups with a 4-3. If you want an example of a bad 3-4, look at Atlanta and how bad their Defense was last year, they made the very misguided move to the 3-4 and got the results to show(it wasn't the QB's fault they sucked so bad) Of course if we could get a NT to fit into the scheme then that would be good cause I think we now have the linebackers to run the 3-4. Of course, considering how badly we were against the run last year I think the team should move to a 4-4....I think our fast linebackers could compensate for losing a safety....

It also comes down to money and defensive linemen's salaries have outpaced the market recently. ;) It is more economical to go after speedy linebackers; they are more plentiful than dominating ends. Give me one big fattie to control the center of the line and everything else becomes easy.

As you might be able to tell, I prefer the 3-4. :player:

How about a 2-5? :wacko:

It also comes down to money and defensive linemen's salaries have outpaced the market recently. ;) It is more economical to go after speedy linebackers; they are more plentiful than dominating ends. Give me one big fattie to control the center of the line and everything else becomes easy.

As you might be able to tell, I prefer the 3-4. :player:

How about a 2-5? :wacko:

That's a very good point about the money. I prefer the 3-4 as well, but then the most coaching I've done is in a video game, so I'll defer to Marvin on this one.