Since 2007 Is a Write Off After 2 Preseason Games

Ah, September. A crisp chill tints the air, the leaves turn, and a Bengals fan's thoughts turn to...

...well, what else, the April 2008 draft, right? :lmao:

The good news is that none of the hardcore mock drafters see Cincy ending up with the first pick, or even in the top half of the draft. The bad news is that none of them see us at 32, either.

More than 25 people with far too much time on their hands have already produced mocks for April 2008. If anyone stumbles over any more let me know, I'll add 'em in.

In the early lead? USC defensive tackle Sedrick Ellis (6 votes) followed by Texas DT Frank Okam with 4.

LBs Rey Maualuga (USC), Keith Rivers (ditto), and Xavier Abidi (Va Tech) all draw 2 salutes.

Positionally, DT leads with 11, followed by LB at 8.

Ah, September. A crisp chill tints the air, the leaves turn, and a Bengals fan's thoughts turn to...

...well, what else, the April 2008 draft, right? :lmao:

The good news is that none of the hardcore mock drafters see Cincy ending up with the first pick, or even in the top half of the draft. The bad news is that none of them see us at 32, either.

More than 25 people with far too much time on their hands have already produced mocks for April 2008. If anyone stumbles over any more let me know, I'll add 'em in.

In the early lead? USC defensive tackle Sedrick Ellis (6 votes) followed by Texas DT Frank Okam with 4.

LBs Rey Maualuga (USC), Keith Rivers (ditto), and Xavier Abidi (Va Tech) all draw 2 salutes.

Oh my God and I thought I was bad for betting on the QB challenge. :lmao:

You would have to think they would be looking at a pass rushing DE, with the chances of J Smith not being here next year. Pretty much anything within the DT, DE, LB scope and depth on the o-line. With all the comp picks heading our way (hopefully) we make good use and possibly see a trade up !!! Time will tell...'

WHODEY !!!

You have to figure our top needs in '08 will be as follows.

1. Defensive End. - Justin Smith is being overpaid to play one year. Robert Geathers will have to show that he can produce double digit sack numbers on a regular basis in a starters role.

2. Cornerback. - Deltha O'Neal is probably playing his last season unless he duplicates his efforts from '05. Keiwan Ratliff could be cut before the season, but my guess is, he's on his last year as well.

3. Linebacker. - Landon Johnson, Caleb Miller, Ed Hartwell, Lemar Marshall, will all be Free agents. Landon is worth keeping, the rest will have to show something this year.

4. Offensive Line. - Willie's age and foot raise concerns. Kieft probably never develops into a starter, and Stacey Andrews should be signed onto a longterm deal during the season. Which Means Levi Jones and Andrews are our starters at tackle, with Bobbie Williams and Whitworth at guard. This is a good year to grab an offensive tackle with all the talent coming out this year at offensive tackle, Cincy will be hard pressed not to take one early.

5. Wide Receiver. - Chris Henry is a free agent after this season as well, I think. Because of his production he'll garner a pretty hefty salary, but because of his off the field problems, he could be traded or released. Which means Wide receiver becomes a priority with an average group of receivers coming out next year.

Henry is signed through 2009 I believe, so as long as he stays out of trouble there's no need to go looking for a wideout on his account. However, both Chad & TJ are over the 30 hump...and of course Henry could forget to use his turn signal and end up booted from the league. So yeah, they do have to look for something, assuming nothing comes of the Brazell/Holt/McNeal/Tab scrum.

DT and TE are always on the list. And like always I expect them to be studiously ignored on day 1.

The wild card at DE is Pollack, who has made it clear he'd like to be back on the line if/when he returns.

The return of Odell could soften the need at LB next year, but who knows if Goodell will let him back in or if the Bengals will want him.

After taking JJoe and Hall in the first the last two drafts, I don't see CB high on their list at all, even if O'Neal and Ratliff are goners. More likely they look for low-round "diamonds in the rough" or (even more likely) find 1-2 aging FA corners as stopgaps or (even more more likely) move Madieu to corner full time (probably all three).

• 2 weeks later...

You'd never guess from looking at stats, but DT/NT Sedrick Ellis is a freaking monster. In fact, less than two weeks ago Pete Carroll called him the best player he's ever recruited....a remark that made me swallow my gum.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't see them meeting whatever crazy demands Smith and/or his agent come up with so I think it's safe to say buh-bye to Justin. That means DE will most probably be our top priority next April.

Unless of course we sign a great FA to take over that spot. :lmao:

Okay, back to reality....

I don't see the kitties spending a first rounder on a TE or another CB for the reasons already stated in some of the earlier posts. Niether do I think they'll use a 1st rounder on a WR either although it wouldn't surprise me to see them take one after round 2. I think we've seen that behind Henry there's really nobody that can handle the 3rd WR gig and with Henry's past he's too unstable to rely on for that position for the next 3 or 4 seasons.

Another pass rushing LB is certainly a possibility in the first round especially if we draft in the top 15. If we're in the bottom half of the order I wouldn't mind a hard hitting Safety. Going O-line is always a good idea especially as hurt as we've been along the line in the last 2 years.

Of course, it all really comes down to who's available when pick.

So, to some up ole' B1's feelings...

DE

OLB

SS

OL

And in that order too. (First round only)

As we round the post marking the first quarter of the 2007 season, the mockosphere continues to produce updated projections. My favorite? My NFL Draft (not actually mine, you understand), which based on current standings has the Bengals picking at No. 4 overall! And taking who? Why, a running back of course, Arkansas' Darren McFadden.

If the Bengals actually did that, I think the O/U on "minutes before Mike Brown gets shot" would be about 1.5.

Fortunately, saner mockers are prevailing, with 24 of the 32 mocks now in the database predicting the Bengals will draft a DT (12) or a LB (12). Accordingly, the current leaders on the board are USC DT Sedrick Ellis (6) and Penn State LB Dan Connor (6).

Other multiple vote-getters include DT Frank Okam (4), DT Andre Fluellen (2) and LB Xavier Abidi (2).

• 1 month later...

Congrats to DT Sedrick Ellis, who becomes this year's first double-digit vote-getter in the mockosphere, collecting 10 votes this update.

Running second, THE Ohio State University LB James Laurinaitis with 5 nods. DE Calais Campbell and LB Dan Conner follow with 4, while LB Keith Rivers hangs in among the multi-vote-getters with 2.

S Kenny Phillips also makes an appearance with 2 votes.

Positionally, it's:

DT 14

LB 12

DE 5

S 2

OT 1

WR 1

RB 1