Eli Doesn't Want to be a Charger

From the San Diego Tribune...

The Chargers have a strong interest in Manning, but the feeling isn't mutual. Last night, Manning informed the Chargers through his agent that he does not want them to select him with the first pick in this weekend's NFL draft. The disclosure came one day after Manning's father, Archie, flew to San Diego and had dinner with GM A.J. Smith and coach Schottenheimer. Then came the call from agent Tom Condon. "He told me that Archie wishes that we do not select Eli and that they think he would be a good fit in New York (with the Giants)," said Smith.

Since when did they start taking surveys of where a guy wants to be drafted? Most guys would be honored to be #1. If I was the chargers I would take Gallery at one. You can not expect the raiders to pass on him or someone trading up to #2 or #3 and take him. This way manning looses big time on signing bonus and rookie pool dollars and you get a ten year no brainer left tackle :P

Actually, I've heard that it's Archie that doesn't want Manning going to the Chargers...And can you blame him? He was a great QB on a crap team when he played...Nobody wants that. The Chargers don't even look like they are ready to compete in the league, they have no one for Eli to throw the ball to, and have the backstabbingest QB of all time to back him up....that situation is doomed to failure. I don't even think it's about the money, it's about wanting to suceed and the San Diego situation isn't designed for any young QB to suceed in. The Bengals have officially passed the torch to the Chargers.

Actually, I've heard that it's Archie that doesn't want Manning going to the Chargers

I think you're right. Eli is speaking the words Archie installed into him probably.

And can you blame him? He was a great QB on a crap team when he played...Nobody wants that. The Chargers don't even look like they are ready to compete in the league, they have no one for Eli to throw the ball to, and have the backstabbingest QB of all time to back him up....that situation is doomed to failure. I don't even think it's about the money, it's about wanting to suceed and the San Diego situation isn't designed for any young QB to suceed in. The Bengals have officially passed the torch to the Chargers.

I agree with you, however, Eli has no right nor position to claim anything. He needs to take the blows as a "professional". His brother wasn't complaining when he was drafted, maybe this is another lesson young Eli needs to learn from big brother. Eh?

Personally I feel it's just another example of the ME-First attitude displayed by the modern professional athlete.

* He's the highest rated QB for a reason, and the reward for that was, going to the worst team !

* Carson went through it last year, kept his mouth shut, didn't take a snap, displayed his skills, and now is being handed the team in a much better shape than what it was when he was drafted.

- Someone get Carson to call Eli, and tell him how a rookie QB should act !

p.s.: Perhaps another reason why Akili Smith performed so terribly when he was drafted, because he showed the same attitude. - Challenging veteran players before he started games,insisting the Bengals resign Pickens at the '99 draft, etc. Maybe if he would have kept his head in a playbook, and his mouth shut he would have turned out OK. :player:

Actually no I didn't. - That might be just media hype ( John Elway ) stuff to sweeten the story.

- I did see where Archie ' apologized for statements he made, but that he still wishes the Chargers would trade the pick.

- Also saw where Eli , stated that he can speak for himself, and that his situation was in his own hands.

don't worry , I'm mocking as we speak.... " the official final mock " for this weekend... :D

Actually no I didn't. - That might be just media hype ( John Elway ) stuff to sweeten the story.

- I did see where Archie ' apologized for statements he made, but that he still wishes the Chargers would trade the pick.

- Also saw where Eli , stated that he can speak for himself, and that his situation was in his own hands.

don't worry , I'm mocking as we speak.... " the official final mock " for this weekend... :D

Well, I didn't actually hear Manning say it, but Mort said it on SportsCenter. This will definately be interesting to see develop.

Well, I didn't actually hear Manning say it, but Mort said it on SportsCenter. This will definately be interesting to see develop.

See, that's the problem with sports nowadays...This whole he said she said thing...Not that I doubt Mort, but....His job is to get people reading epsn.com/watching espn...All it takes is twisting Manning say that playing in San Diego isn't the most attractive thing and he'd prefer playing in NY and whammo controversy...Or better yet, you gotta love "unnamed sources"...

san diego can do better for themselves and will. manning sr is a pain in the a... then again i think i'd do the same for my son. so in the same way as Elway, i get it. and elway is a pro bowl, super bowl winning HALL OF FAMER!!!! just like johnny unitas, yes he was there when they beat the cowboys; plus numerous nfl championships. :wacko: