Bengals Sign Hartwell - merged

mgilgris

So i know how everyone doubts free agents effectiveness but Ed Hartwell almost signed would make me feel pretty comfortable with our LB corps. If anything it brings increased competition at the position and the man has a point to prove in that he can still play.

In other news, Hobson dropped a line that Ian Scott is still in the mix on Bengals.com. While i doubt he signs, (and is probably using us as a bargaining chip again) it still is good to see that Marvin still has in hand in the free agency pool. In marvin we trust.

who dey

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So i know how everyone doubts free agents effectiveness but Ed Hartwell almost signed would make me feel pretty comfortable with our LB corps. If anything it brings increased competition at the position and the man has a point to prove in that he can still play.

In other news, Hobson dropped a line that Ian Scott is still in the mix on Bengals.com. While i doubt he signs, (and is probably using us as a bargaining chip again) it still is good to see that Marvin still has in hand in the free agency pool. In marvin we trust.

who dey

I don't know what's the hold up with Hartwell, I heard his wife was in labor or something but that was two days ago. In the age of cell phones it's not that hard to get on one and negotiate a one year contract.

I love the overall level of competition in camp this year. I fully expect that most of our final cuts will end up on somebody else's roster (can you say DeDe Dorsey). There will be no free lunches (I hope JT and Deltha are listening) and few guaranteed starting spots or minutes (take note GuyCheck, BRob). The overall depth of this team in camp in such a marked improvement over past teams that I expect better practices, a much greater sense of urgency, probably more fights, and a team that is ready from the opening kick of the first preseason game.

I don't know what's the hold up with Hartwell, I heard his wife was in labor or something but that was two days ago. In the age of cell phones it's not that hard to get on one and negotiate a one year contract.

Perhaps the holdup is due to the Bengals desire to get more than a one-year deal?

Perhaps the holdup is due to the Bengals desire to get more than a one-year deal?

Perhaps he wants to be paid...

I find it interesting that the Bengals are still looking at Ian Scott. He doesn't fit the over-the-hill stop-gap DT that Hoosier hates so much. He's only 25 years old. Perhaps he's the guy who will actually replace S. Smith and the Myers signing would then serve to replace Thornton.

I know the Bears rushing defense struggled when he was starting in place of Tommy Harris... but Tank Johnson was out too, so it wasn't entirely his fault. All of that to say - I'd give him a shot. Even if he didn't end up being great, the Myers signing is insurance to soften the blow. I don't think the signing can hurt, and he's young enough that it could end up helping quite a bit.

I find it interesting that the Bengals are still looking at Ian Scott. He doesn't fit the over-the-hill stop-gap DT that Hoosier hates so much. He's only 25 years old. Perhaps he's the guy who will actually replace S. Smith and the Myers signing would then serve to replace Thornton.

I know the Bears rushing defense struggled when he was starting in place of Tommy Harris... but Tank Johnson was out too, so it wasn't entirely his fault. All of that to say - I'd give him a shot. Even if he didn't end up being great, the Myers signing is insurance to soften the blow. I don't think the signing can hurt, and he's young enough that it could end up helping quite a bit.

I live in Illinois and have watched a lot of Bears games. I like Scott as a member of the Bears DT rotation quite a bit. In thinking back on last year's Bengals, I don't recall the DT play looking anything like the Bears (they're monsters) or being so good that some healthy competition in camp wouldn't do them some good. Bring him in!

Where did you see this HOF?

I have been trying to be patient, but this is taking a long time.

The update is in a Kevin Goheen piece at the Cincy Post. I should mention that I edited out the fluff stuff and posted just the quote from Hartwell's agent because his remarks imply that there's no hurry to get a a done deal signed.

via http://nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10033511

Chicago's free agent defensive tackle Ian Scott visited the New England Patriots on Tuesday.

figures :rolleyes:

we also missed out on another DT:

Buffalo and Cincinnati each put in a waiver claim for former USC and Dolphins defensive tackle Manny Wright on Tuesday. But on the basis of records, Wright's services were awarded to Buffalo.

The update is in a Kevin Goheen piece at the Cincy Post. I should mention that I edited out the fluff stuff and posted just the quote from Hartwell's agent because his remarks imply that there's no hurry to get a a done deal signed.

Well, it's not a done deal until it's signed. And the longer it drags on, the more chance some team throws an extra few pennies at Hartwell, and off he goes.

Well, it's not a done deal until it's signed. And the longer it drags on, the more chance some team throws an extra few pennies at Hartwell, and off he goes.

that is my fear as well, he says he wants to play for Marvin, but I think he would rather play for Lincoln, Washington, Grant, and those other dead presidents.

Since when can't you trust the word of an agent? :lmao:

Maybe I'd worry more if Hartwell's agent was actively trying to drum up interest in his client by mentioning a phantom teams interest, but he's actually doing the opposite. He's throwing cold water on the idea that his client will sign anywhere else.

Frankly, if the guys agent calls it a done deal then I'm satisfied.

Ian Scott an Iggle...(nfl.com via pft)

POSTED 3:47 p.m. EDT, May 3, 2007

EAGLES SIGN SCOTT

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the Philadelphia Eagles have agreed to terms with former Bears defensive tackle Ian Scott.

Scott, per Schefter, will receive a one-year, $1 million contract.

The four-year veteran started in seven regular-season games in 2006 for the NFC champions and in all postseason contests, including the Super Bowl.

The Bears have also lost defensive tackle Alphonso Boone to free agency. It's suddenly a position of need for the Bears; Tommie Harris missed much of the season with a leg injury, and Tank Johnson currently is in the clink.

EAGLES SIGN SCOTT

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the Philadelphia Eagles have agreed to terms with former Bears defensive tackle Ian Scott.

The four-year veteran started in seven regular-season games in 2006 for the NFC champions and in all postseason contests, including the Super Bowl.

The Bears have also lost defensive tackle Alphonso Boone to free agency. It's suddenly a position of need for the Bears; Tommie Harris missed much of the season with a leg injury, and Tank Johnson currently is in the clink.

Good, I think he sucks anyways.

EAGLES SIGN SCOTT

Good, I think he sucks anyways.

Agent: Hartwell in fold

By GEOFF HOBSON

May 3, 2007

4:50 p.m.

The Bengals have agreed to terms with veteran linebacker Ed Hartwell on a one-year deal, according to his agent, Harold Lewis.

Hartwell’s reunion with Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis, one of the men who drafted him in Baltimore in 2001, has been five years in the making. Speculation is he’ll assume the starter’s spot at the right outside spot as the club’s most experienced backer in the wake of Brian Simmons’ release.

The Bengals don’t comment on player additions until they receive a signed contract.

Per Bengals.com

Agent: Hartwell in fold

By GEOFF HOBSON

May 3, 2007

4:50 p.m.

The Bengals have agreed to terms with veteran linebacker Ed Hartwell on a one-year deal, according to his agent, Harold Lewis.

Hartwell’s reunion with Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis, one of the men who drafted him in Baltimore in 2001, has been five years in the making. Speculation is he’ll assume the starter’s spot at the right outside spot as the club’s most experienced backer in the wake of Brian Simmons’ release.

The Bengals don’t comment on player additions until they receive a signed contract.