Interesting mock from kffl.com

mjm47

IMO, that would be a spectacular trade. I don't necessarily the picks that they give, I think they would definitely take Timmons over Harris in the second, but that is a good scenario.

How can you expect to predict a draft day trade? It all comes down to what players are available, and if a team is desperate enough for a particular player that they don't feel will drop.

I won't be shocked if the Bengals make a trade down... but it will almost certainly have to be with a poorly managed team (like the Raiders)... because I doubt there will be many players available at 18 worth trading down to get.

I didn't like most of the players the mocker had the Bengals taking so I substituted my own.

Round 2

------------

33. CINCINATTI(fm OAK[g]): Lawrence Timmons 6-1 234 LB Florida State - The mock projected David Harris here, and I like him well enough. But Timmons has more athletic upside and that's what I'm looking for this early.

49. CINCINATTI: Ben Patrick 6-4 270 TE Delaware - This may or may not be too high for Patrick, but I've pimped him too long to ignore him now....especially when the trade with Oakland gives the Bengals additional picks to play with. And that's a critical point because without the extra picks I'm not taking a TE here.

Round 3

======

65. CINCINATTI(fm OAK[g]): Jonathan Wade 5-10 190 CB Tennessee - I hated the choice of another WR in the original mock, and trading out of the 1st round dramatically decreased the odds of finding a capable CB. Thus, if I want a CB in this draft it's now or probably never.

Round 4

======

114. CINCINATTI: Lorenzo Booker 5-10 191 RB Florida State - One of my biggest complaints about the Chris Perry pick is that you don't need to burn a 1st round pick to get a very solid pass ctaching 3rd down RB. Here's proof.

Round 5

======

138. CINCINATTI(fm OAK[g]): Jacob Ford 6-4 249 DE Central Arkansas - I stayed with the pick made in the mock even though it felt like a reach. Ford is said to be an incredible athlete but too much of a project for many teams to consider. That said, the Bengals have a history of embracing raw athletes on the 2nd day and Ford could earn his keep on special teams until ready to fill the designated pass rush role.

151. CINCINATTI: Kareem Brown 6-4 290 DE/DT Miami(FL) - The mock had the Bengals taking a TE here, Anthony Pudwell, but I've already pulled the trigger on Ben Patrick. So what the heck, put me down for one of those DE/DT hybrids that the Bengals can't seem to get enough of. Kareem Brown has the athletic ability to be very good and has the pass rush skills that I want. He's also got the frame needed to grow into a pure DT and his biggest flaw, an inconsistent motor, could be lessened if used in a rotation.

If this draft trade took place, then I would prefer Cincinnati to take the following players..

2a. Lawrence Timmons OLB, Florida St.

2b. Brandon Merriweather FS, Miami Fla.

3. Marcus Thomas DT, Florida - It was a toss up between him and Sidney Rice

4. Lorenzo Booker RB, Florida St. - Are you noticing a trend here..??

5a. Anthony Arline CB, Baylor

5b. Steve Breaston WR/PR/KR - Quality receiver, but has great ability to run away from people and return skills.

Id have to say:

2a Brandon Merriweather S Miami (I know we'd get flak but the guy is easily a 1st round talent and is worth the risk even given our situation IMHO)

2b Marcus McCauley CB Fresno (Raw but full of potential...JJ anyone?)

3 Stewart Bradley OLB Nebraska/Justin Durant OLB Hampton (Too much LB talent to pass up)

4 Lorenzo Booker RB FSU (Easy pick, insurance on C. Perry)

5a Brian Robinson DE Texas (Could be this years Mark Anderson, great tangibles but limited production in career)

5b Keith Jackson DT Arkansas (Depth, with some potential)

I feel like all these guys typify Marvin's "get guys with upside" motto of late. I'm assuming Hartwell talks will result in a signing too. Merriweather and McCauley would give us a ridiculously versatile and athletic backfield, helping that pass D hopefully.

Cincinatti

--------------

2-33: David Harris LB Michigan

2-49: Eric Weddle S/CB Utah

3-65: Craig Davis WR/KR Louisiana State

4-114: Kenny Scott CB Georgia Tech

5-138: Jacob Ford DE Central Arkansas

5-151: Anthony Pudewell TE Nevada

Interesting choice of trading out of the first round, but they would pick up a pick in the third giving them three picks between 33 and 65. I am not excited about another WR (Davis) though.

It was an interesting scenario with all of the trading that was predicted. Some of it actually seemed like realistic possibilities. But that's the problem I have with most mock drafts. As soon as one trade happens, it shoots everything that they predicted. So if you're going to stick your neck out, you might as well throw in a few trades.

This is a fun game. I'll play:

Round 2

------------

33. CINCINATTI(fm OAK[g]): Lawrence Timmons 6-1 234 LB Florida State

49. CINCINATTI: Tim Crowder 6-3 272 DE Texas

I can imagine how unpopular this pick would be here with the CB need, but I didn't see anything available here that I wanted significantly more than would be available with the 1st pick in the 3rd round (one of McCauley, Hughes, Jackson, or Wilson will be there). Besides... Crowder will be a lot cheaper than retaining Justin Smith next year (and I'm a Smith fan).

Round 3

======

65. CINCINATTI(fm OAK[g]): Daymeione Hughes 5-10 190 CB California

Actually I considered reaching for him in the 2nd round... but with the hypothetical Oakland trade, I felt okay about taking Crowder and taking whatever CB fell to the 3rd round. The Bengals have showed some interest in Hughes, and I think he's really under-rated.

Round 4

======

114. CINCINATTI: Matt Spaeth 6-7 270 TE Minnesota (I like the Booker pick here too... but TE is a bit more of a need than RB, and Spaeth is exactly the kind of TE the Bengals use... also is a great character and team guy).

Round 5

======

138. CINCINATTI(fm OAK[g]): Michael Johnson 6'2 205 S Arizona

Intelligent, good speed, decent tackler, very good in coverage... good deal as a safety on the 2nd day. Probably a good replacement for KK.

151. CINCINATTI: Garrett Wolfe 5'7 186 RB Northern Illinois

If it's a change of pace back that you want... you got it. People might complain about his size... but he won't be asked to carry the load, just use speed and shiftiness to make 3rd down conversions. He's as capable of that as anyone in this draft. - Probably would wait until the 6th for this pick... but this is only a 5 round mock.

Granted... some of the picks I changed just for the sake of being interesting, but I'd be pretty happy with 6 picks like the ones above.